Trump 1/24 Me 109 G6 "late style"

Chris/Germany

Hy guys, Jugs have to wait again, have got one of this new Trumpeter 1/24 kits and have to build it for a client, think a "online build" is ok to see what´s possible with this new stuff.....ok:

No sprue shots ´cause they can be seen in other forums too, short resume: 12 sprues plus a small box including some photoetched parts for the movable flaps and some "Gum- wiring" for the motor, gum tires for landing gear and rear wheel , clear parts are ok, fuselage halfs and horizontal stabilizer are in added in clear-parts too. Will build this kit strictly OOB, no cutaway, but a little detailing where needed at motor and cockpit.

Here are the first shots of motor including motor-gun....felt a little sick ´bout these gum-wirings for the motor but with a little super-glue it worked out right. have compared motor with original photos and most of the details are absolutely right, here it is....

post-4-1074898281.jpg

Brian, I´m sure you can do it as well, parts go together absolutely easy and everything works like in the instruction, absolutely fun to build! Till here no extra details are added, strictly OOB, here´s pic update of cockpit and motor section mated together

front of motor section with guns installed, will add a little wiring to them, and, by the way, there are no ammo-belts for the upper guns although they will be visible when cowlings are shown open!.....hmm......will have to scratch them...

post-4-1075150023.jpg

Chris,

Looking really nice. What color are you using for the interior color of the cockpit? I haven't really reconned mine, are there numbers for the engine or did you get them from somewhere else? I'm currently working on a Revellogram 48th scale G10 with several upgrades from CE and Eduards. Keep up the good work--look forward to each day and more pics and commentary.

Thanks,

Brian

I think the 109 used RLM 66 for the interior. Not sure about any greens used. Basic rule I follow for 109s is RLM 66 for cockpit, and RLM 02 for gear bays, engine bay, flaps etc.

That DB is gorgeous Chris!!!!!! <_<

Thanx a lot guys...as stated before this kit is real fun to build ( except the millions of injector pin marks!)

Cockpit colours: as LSP Chris stated there are numerous variants and rumours of the "only right" colour for german cockpits, some restored birds use this kind of green ( so does the restored G-6 in the Technik Museum Speyer called "Nesthäkchen", and the Veterans say it´s right?) some say RLM 66....I use a selfmixed kind of green with a bit of drybrushing because the details are better visible than the whole cockpit in RLM 66, this is only used for instrument panel and inside of fuselage f.e. motor area and others. By the way.....thanx to LSP Chris for this great tip with the landing gear/scissors, will try this to make the oleos "work"

Motor: as stated before the motor is OOB ( ok, this two drains from upside to the sides are scratched ), the ser. Nr ( fictive) on top and left side is...handpainted

...to be continued

cheers

Chris

Chris,

Damn fine "hand-painting" on that DB. Thanks for the info concerning the cockpit color--have never seen any other referenced colors but 02 and 66 for interior colors. As I said before, can't wait to see what the next installment brings. Might have to quickly finish my little bird and put the bg one on the table!!!!!

Brian

Here are two cockpit shots from restored birds, both different in colour, not grey, not green, not RLM 02, some kind of grey-blue-green......but definately not the whole cockpit in RLM 66, only instrument panel and some mechanisms, so what´s right?

post-4-1075229301.jpg

Guest steve gallacci

Well, for restored machines, they can be painted anything they want, but it would be a 99% safe bet that a late war machine would have a RLM66 cockpit. For that matter, the second photo offered may actually be in 66, but also an awful lot of dust over it, the cockpit is filthy. (and likely the source for all kinds of non-standard interpetations). As for the rest, the work so far looks okay, but the reason I'm not doing exactly the same to mine, is that kit engine area has too many accuracy issues. I don't want to get in to a debate over "it looks okay" versus "accuracy uber alles", but having taken the closer look, I can't ignore it for my own work. Neverthe less, good work on it so far, and continue to post images of the progress.