Revell Spitfire Mk 1

Tim Carroll

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the feedback.

Ango - I paint the the interior in Polyscale British Interior Green. The instrument panel in a dark

grey (RLM66) and instruments in black. This panel is dry brushed in a light grey (I think I used MSG) and given a black washand then I add clear gloss acrylic.

The cockpit parts are dry brushed with british dark green and then sky. this gives a more gentle highlight to the raised areas.

For washes I use acrylic artists paints called Chromacyrl that I buy from the local news agents.

The black is quite strong and is slowly bled around the major structure to give an impression of depth. The brown is burnt or raw umber (can't remember and I'm at work). this is about half the strenth of the black. When the black is dry I slop this around until I'm happy that things look a bit used and dirty. I clean wash of from any large areas with a cotton bud.

The washes I have I make in a batch and keep. a key tip is to put a couple drops of dishwashing detergent as this helps to clean it off. I never coat the cockpit with a clear gloss as some do, just lazy I guess......... ;)

Anyway heres some more

This is the port fuselage with scratched radio controller cockpit light and switch

Cheers

Tim

post-4-1085609297.jpg

Here is the starboard fuselage.

I raised the side at the cockpit for the hood sliding rail.

I've added the rack and bulbs for the sight as well as the

regulator (?) for the oxygen. Fuselage stringer details show

the brown wash slopped on and then cleaned back in the centre.

post-4-1085609558.jpg

This is the port U/C well. I cut the kit well off and re-walled it to the top of the wing.

I then added the strengthening braces. I filled the landing light panel lines (They are almose exactly

20 x20 thou). This is one boo boo I made on the model as I completely forgot to rescibe them

Other mods was to open the shell ejection ports, and cut away the radiator flap.

I scratched a new one of the correct width as the one portrayed in the kit (and the MK V are wrong)

I think the the overall radiator shape is wrong on this model especialy where it meets the wing.

It is to radiased. However it does not look to bad when complete.

post-4-1085610358.jpg

Here is a look at the radiator and oil cooler.

I boxed the radiator in to give it and improved "squared off"apearance. It suffers from the angled

sides of the kit. The oild cooler is molded at the height of the MK V and way too tall. I cut it off

and sanded it down a bit. I could not got to far or it would not fit back on. It's still wrong but looks

a lot better.

Cheers

post-4-1085610839.jpg

This is the rear of the radiator. It shows how I squared it of with 10 thou card. I put a false floor of 5 thou card to over come the mismatch between the wing and radiator drop in. I have yet to drill out the signaling lamp on the lower fuselage. You can see the new U/C well walls here as well.

post-4-1085611123.jpg

Thanks Brian,

Unfortunately my third run of pickies that cover the assembly were corrupt and I cant open the folder. It covered the drooping of the elevators, rescibe the fueselage, put her together. Add the armour plate over the fuel tanks and painting. I was originaly gonna try to do and article but because of this hole decided to post them here.

Follwing are pictures of the finished item

post-4-1085698261.jpg

The codes are from Hasegawa given to me by a friend (Thanks John) The national markings ar the ones supplied in the kit. The Hasegawa ones reacted to Microsol and I hade to remove them. I was surprised just how good the Revell decals were. The took the settling solutions well no silvering and are not overly thick.

post-4-1085698721.jpg

Here is the underside with stuff-up number two. The spitfire is notorious for a dirty bottom :)

So I wanted to simulate this. It actualy looks OK in the flesh but the panel line I chose to do it from does not exist on the aircraft. Bugger..... :blink:

post-4-1085698929.jpg