D 520 progress pics

bsarnoffca

These are shots of an Hispano Suiza 12Y49 engine created from the MDC DB 605 kit that I'm going to install in the Azur model. Just about all the MDC parts were used in creating the engine....my appoligies to Vincent for altering his masterpiece.

post-4-1116200177.jpg

Thanks for the reply. Yes, one side will be open with the panels off and the other side covered. I am finishing the engine, cradle and the interior and I will post more pictures. I have to admit I copied the weathering and added detail from your interior photos. I see you chose not to do the "lantern" gunsight. The D520 used both sights, right?

Guest LSP_Jay L

Sweet work on that engine bsarnoffca. I was about to ask the same question as Gustave and I am glad you will be leaving an access panel open. Wow eh? two D.520's at once. It is a bit like a mini group build! This should be quite good as the two models look incredible so far!

Cheers mate,

Jay

Jay,

Thanks for your comments. The engine isn't exact and not all of it will be visible but it should give the feel of the Hispano Suiza. I'm looking forward to see what else Gustave will cast.

Bsarnoffca,

Yes, I've read some where that 2 different models existed. I'm going with the "lantern", I just haven't put the ""lantern"" part in place. Since I scratch built the base of the sight I can't get that awfully( but beautiful) tiny thing to sit properly :) . Would it be alright if I post some pics of the "other" gunsight here?).

I'd definetly like to cast your engine, but I'm afraid my experience in molding has not yet extended to 2 half molds.....unless...

I'm not totally sure about this, but it seems the D.520 had a bit of "diedre"(? wing angle to the fuselage?) but after test fitting, the wings stuck to the table top. 0° angle. Were you thinking of fixing this?

I'm not aware of the wing angle but now that I look at my reference material it seems there is one. I'm not that far so let me know what you do.

Hmmm...casting the engine is interesting. I assume it would be difficult but casting detail I've seen from MDC and Metror it could probably be done. This one is about to go into the model but if you decide to give it a try I will build another for you. It would be a nice accessory to offer the club members.

Here is the lantern.

post-4-1116361477.jpg

For the engine, maybe it could be cast in several parts. The engine body in one mold, other bits and pieces casted seperately? I like the idea!

Maybe we can trade an engine against a rudder :) (Although I'm concious the engine must require much more work than my rudder!)

It's a great book isn't it? Yes, the bottom photo is the "other" gunsight. I will do the lantern for mine as well. The engine took quite a while to build though more time was spent planning than building, I think the second time it would go much faster. The interior, engine cradle and engine detail are complete so I will post more pictures soon. have you decided on a particular aircraft/paint scheme yet?

I'm looking forward to see them....it really is a very nice piece of work, in its position it must be even better.

I am planning to do Lt. G. Valentin's aircraft n°242 "V" of 3 GC ll/7 (nothing to do with our initials being the same). I love the wave like pattern of the camouflage on the rear end. The aircraft was abandoned close to my city, the reason a mystery (different versions of the story exist). Also, there are a couple of "good" pics of the plane....

And you?