Looking for the X-1 B-29 Mothership Nose Art

Picard

Hello All,

I'm working on a project that involves the nose art from the B-29 used to drop the X-1.  I've been able to find a fair number of black and white photos, but nothing in color other than a low res scan of a decal sheet.  If anyone has on hand or knows where I could find a good color image, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

Thanks, Sluggo, but that is the decal sheet I already found.  Unfortunately, it is a little bit too low in resolution.  As you can see from the picture below, the baby in the sling has lick of hair and the arrow has a rocket exhaust with more detail than is visible in the decal sheet.  They look to me like they are probably red, but it's tough to tell for sure.

Bell_X-1A_in_the_belly_of_a_B-29.jpg

I blew the B-29 image up in photoshop and the tuft of hair and the flame are the same color. I would guess red as well.

The photo above is actually pretty good. Someone with some Illustrator skills could make a vector of it and have it reasonably close. The colors would be a bit of a guess though. What is your intention? Is it going on a model?

Edited by sluggo

Actually, I dabble with painting flight jackets.  My wife and I are expecting our first child, a boy, next May, so I am going to paint up an appropriate leather diaper bag.  I thought this was the perfect patch to paint on it.  Thanks again  for giving this a look!