Converting a F4U-4 to aF4U-5

Guest bigsky

I am interested in know how to convert a F4U-4 to a F4U-5 (early Korea era). I know there are differencies in the crowel, but how difficult will the overall be? I am planning on using the Trump 1/32 Corsair to do so. If anyone has done so before, I am #>unsure.gif interested.

F4U-4 to F4U-5 (Damn! What a project to consider!)

1. Add a scale 12" (I think thats the right number) to the fuselage in front of the wing leading edge.

2. Alter the forward fuselage cross section to the -5's "pear" shape and recontour the exhaust cutouts. Fabricate appropriate exhaust pipes.

3. Modify the cowl to incorporate the two cheek scoops and the proper -5 cowl flap configuration.

4. Modify the wing root intakes to -5 configuration.

5. Modify the fabric sections of the wings to metal panels. If ailerons or flaps are fabric, they must be metal-covered as well. Also, lose the step in the starboard inboard flap if its included.

6. Modify the 6 x .50cal armament to 4 X 20mm; alter the access doors and ejection chutes; add -5-style rocket launch stubs.

7. Modify the interior to -5, or -5N standards as appropriate for the version you're building.

8. Modify the canopy, windscreen and fuselage spine to -5 configuration.

9. Modify fuselage for kick-in and drop-down steps; modify radio access panels.

10. For a -5N, add the radar pod; for a -5NL, also add deicer boots.

11. Assuming the engine is a true -4 version (R2800-18W or -42W), you'll be OK. Otherwise modify the smooth "B" gearcase of teh early corsairs to a "C" series bolted gearcase.

Also, I think the propeller was different (but I can't quite get a handle on the shape).

Some -5s also got the later-style wheels, although most had the early ones.

A great reference is the AeroDetails book on the F4U.

Good luck, patience and more good luck will be the key to making this one work! #>sad.gif

Phil Schenfeld - 'nother bent-wing guy