Is the airfix 109 too long??

joshua knuth

I am building an airfix 109 and i just compared it to several different 1/24 scale print outs and it seems the body is about 8-9mm too long? any body else notice this or am i crazy?

it seems fairly correct from the panel line at the rear end of the canopy to the tail. so the issue is in front of that. it almost seems the canopy is way too long , with the center canopy 2 mm too long and the front wind screen 4mm too long.

hmm odd! small numbers but it adds up!?? :P

Guest steve gallacci

To clairify, is it the 1/24 Fw190A? If so, in comparing it to the Aurthor Bently dimensioned drawings, from the rudder hinge line to the front of the engine cowl, the kit is about 1.5mm short. the only dimensional bug regarding the area in question around the cockpit appears to be that the cowl gun cover extends too far back a couple mm then the windscreen assembly extends a further couple mm too far aft, making the opening canopy section about 4 to 5mm short as the rear edge of the canopy may also be a fraction short.

To correct, the small section of fuselage between the gun opeing and the cockpit would have to be moved forward 2mm, and then rework the entire windscreen/canopy area to accomodate the adjustments. Or, considering how small the overall issue is, jsut forget it.

I would not recommend trying to scale too much off of undimensioned drawings. My accessment is from the numbers, not the drawings themselves.