1:1 B-17 walkaround

In June this year, my brother surprised me with a gift of a ride along in a B-17 which has been fully restored to wartime condition by the Collings Foundation (www.collingsfoundation.org). They take the B-17 and a similarly restored B-24 around the country and take small groups of people up for 45 minute flights.

I'm posting 15 photos here for LSP enjoyment. I should put them in the walkaround section, but I find it easier to do it this way. (Is that OK, LSP administrators?...).

I had a great experience that I never thought I'd get to do. Hope you like 'em!

Looking aft from the cockpit, through the bomb bay, into the radio operator's position. They removed the plexiglas from the radio compartment during the flight, and I promptly hoisted myself out as far as I could get.

Note narrow catwalk through the bomb bay. I was the youngest and most nimble person among the 44 or so people who went up in the four groups in the B-17 and B-24 (and I'm in my 40's!). I was a little concerned watching some of those guys walking across the catwalk during the flight. No tragedies ensued.

post-8-1129359261.jpg

In flight now, skimming about 2,500 feet AGL around the San Francisco Bay Area. Looking out the nose. I would have loved to see the plane swooping over from the ground, but the view from inside was even more spectacular. Stayed low the whole time.

post-8-1129359877.jpg