• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 alaninaustria

alaninaustria

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,916 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 09:25 AM

Well, big day yesterday for my workbench/hobby room!
I finally upgraded my spraybooth to a more powerful version - it is now 5 decibles louder but really moves a good amount of air! As well, I upgraded my airbrush to an IWATA Revolution (trigger version) with side cup and handle AND, quick release air hose system. Before, I had an old aquarium hose system that worked but was not really what I wanted! So, now I have two airbrushes all linked up, one for paint, the other for clear coating. As well, I upgraded the extraction ducting to a larger diameter to accommodate the larger volume of air and the whole system functions just great! The best idea ever was to install a 50cm LED lighting strip that mimics soft day-light lighting conditions just ahead of the spraybooth intake... it incorporates a touch button on/off switch with three levels of brightness!! Now, I can finally see something!! The only drawback was that my spray table station had to be moved out another 4 inches from the wall to accommodate the extraction ducting, so my spray table station now is no longer flush with the neighbouring construction table. I found that after completing the upgrade project that there are no longer any remaining vapours in the room and my eyes were no longer tired or feeling strained. Good air extraction and well placed appropriate lighting are very important to our well being!
Have a good hard long look at your lighting and extraction systems, and don’t forget a good, comfortable and ergonomic chair is also important!
Happy modeling everybody! I’m looking forward to going down to my hobby workbench for some quality time today!
Cheers
Alan

Edited by alaninaustria, 08 March 2018 - 09:28 AM.

• Rick Griewski, ScottsGT, Martinnfb and 3 others like this

#2 ScottsGT

ScottsGT

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 01:30 PM

Pics or it didn't happen!

• phantomdriver, Martinnfb, harvey and 2 others like this

#3 alaninaustria

alaninaustria

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,916 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 02:43 PM

Well, I went to take some pics today and you wouldn’t believe what happened... my very old and trusty compressor was started up, tank pressurized and before long my right foot became wet... so, I got on my knees and looked under the bench where my compressor is and found a massive water leak... I tilted the compressor back and saw to my horror a small trickle of water coming out of the tank next to the right support!! I immediate depressurized the tank (6 bar), and vented the tank through the main drain which I have been doing after each session since I bought it almost twenty years ago... the tank has suffered some serious corrosion and quite obviously a microscopic hole developed and the condensation created leaked out... I’m lucky the tank didn’t rupture... it’s right at waist level under my workstation... so off I went to find a new compressor... talk about timing, and luck that nothing worse happened! We live in a very humid place and I have been cleaning/venting the condensation after each session...
Cheers
Alan
  • LSP_Typhoonattack, Out2gtcha and CANicoll like this

#4 SCRATCH BUILDER

SCRATCH BUILDER

LSP Junkie

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 06:01 PM

Like Scott said, No pictures, Just a nice story.   :whistle:  :popcorn:

• Martinnfb likes this

Rick

****If you can't find it, Make it.****

#5 LSP_Typhoonattack

LSP_Typhoonattack

• LSP Moderator
  • 26,809 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 09:12 PM

Well, I went to take some pics today and you wouldn’t believe what happened... my very old and trusty compressor was started up, tank pressurized and before long my right foot became wet... so, I got on my knees and looked under the bench where my compressor is and found a massive water leak... I tilted the compressor back and saw to my horror a small trickle of water coming out of the tank next to the right support!! I immediate depressurized the tank (6 bar), and vented the tank through the main drain which I have been doing after each session since I bought it almost twenty years ago... the tank has suffered some serious corrosion and quite obviously a microscopic hole developed and the condensation created leaked out... I’m lucky the tank didn’t rupture... it’s right at waist level under my workstation... so off I went to find a new compressor... talk about timing, and luck that nothing worse happened! We live in a very humid place and I have been cleaning/venting the condensation after each session...
Cheers
Alan

Draining the tank is something that I also routinely did with my Porter Cable pancake compressor, but after a time, rust and rot seem almost inevitable. (I'd like to see some photos too.)

Kevin

I was going to procrastinate tonight, but decided to wait.

In Progress:

#6 ScottsGT

ScottsGT

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 11:12 PM

I've just noticed a leak with my old compressor too. It's actually a compressor used for industrial thermostat control they were throwing away at work. If nothing else, I'll find a tank for it.

#7 alaninaustria

alaninaustria

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,916 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 11:52 PM

Hey guys, here is the painting station post overhaul
1149E55B-94B1-428D-8A92-5710424A27C5_zps

And to the right is my construction/assembly bench
658D80CE-2870-4EA6-84C5-7105BC3897E0_zps

The LED strips really light both benches up nicely!
Cheers
Alan

Edited by alaninaustria, 08 March 2018 - 11:53 PM.

• Martinnfb, LSP_Typhoonattack, Dragon and 1 other like this

#8 dmthamade

dmthamade

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,583 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 11:56 PM

It's great when you can make your work area more efficient, adds so much to the fun of building. The drawer units in back and above look like a great storage unit.

Don

• alaninaustria likes this

#9 alaninaustria

alaninaustria

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,916 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 11:59 PM

Hi Don,
Yes all IKEA units, helps keep thing organized!
Cheers
Alan
  • Troy Molitor and LSP_Typhoonattack like this

#10 ScottsGT

ScottsGT

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 02:11 PM

Thinks for the pics!  You just clarified a ton of ideas I have been throwing around in my head and a few new obvious solutions I didn't even think about.

I'm currently using one of those fold out cafeteria tables to work on. Just the other day I was thinking about a riser of some kind.  I never thought about the lighting or the magnetic strip.  I do have one of the magnetic tool holders not being used right now too.  And the tape holders on dowels was one of my thoughts too. 

I've got the plywood sitting in my way in my garage.  Now the $1,000,000 question..........

Do I spend the weekend modifying my bench, or do I press on with my model projects?  :hmmm:

• LSP_Typhoonattack likes this

#11 alaninaustria

alaninaustria

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,916 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 10:36 AM

Hi Scott, the IKEA wooden drawers and magnetic strip are by far the best ideas I had in helping to organize my bench! The magnetic strip keeps my regular tools readily at hand and well organized!
Cheers
Alan

#12 dennismcc

dennismcc

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 11:13 AM

Looking good Alan, looks very user friendly, I'm at a very early stage of organising my study in a newly built house extension, it's still evolving at the moment.

Cheers

Dennis

#13 Bomber_County

Bomber_County

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 01:12 PM

Alan, Are you extracting to outside? I’ve just bought a new booth and at present I am putting the hose out of window. Of course with a window open I am getting some debris flying around. Just curious and if it is to the outside did you add a vent through the wall etc......
Phil.

LSP - On the bench - Tamiya Birdcage, SH Tempest V - hi tech
LSP - Stash - Tamiya Mosquito, Revell Ju87B, 1/24 P51D Mustang, WnW “Ships” Camel

#14 alaninaustria

alaninaustria

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,916 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 03:19 PM

Hi Phil et al.
I have a two stage filtration system (1st stage large particle/ 2nd stage carbon fine particle) that is vented directly to outside atmosphere. I have a plexiglass insert in the window frame that restricts the return of vented air.
The new fan is a 40 watt unit that really moves a large volume of air. I just took a break from painting my Spitfire Mk VII, and although I am using Mr. Color laquers there is hardly any residual smells and absolutely no mist remaining in the room. I always vent my air tank after to drain and condensation and I will also air out the hobby room for thirty minutes before leaving.
Hope that all helps
Cheers
Alan
  • CANicoll and Bomber_County like this

#15 Bomber_County

Bomber_County

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 03:37 PM

Thanks Alan, as I want to permanently setup the booth etc in the garage, I may as well core straight through the wall and then have a detachable connector for servicing......food for thought....
Phil.

LSP - On the bench - Tamiya Birdcage, SH Tempest V - hi tech
LSP - Stash - Tamiya Mosquito, Revell Ju87B, 1/24 P51D Mustang, WnW “Ships” Camel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users