• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#16 Zero77

Zero77

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,041 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 02:28 PM

I tried, and increased the blade depth ... and broke the blade very quickly :( ! And of course I did not (at the time) have spare blades :( :( :( !

If you do, keep the blade depth as small as possible, and choose multiple passes. Very likely, you will score the plastic more than completely cut through it, but this is what we do most of the time with a #11 blade anyway ;) ...

If you want to cut through thicker materials, then the Curio is better than the Portrait. it is more limited in terms of size of the sheets it will accept, but that should not be an issue for most work.

Hubert

https://www.amazon.f...r/dp/B005S2O61E

:)

Following the big Photobucket rip-off attempt, all my pictures on the forum cannot display anymore. I try to reupload the RFI pictures, but i'm not sure i'd have enough time and energy to reupload the pictures of the WIP threads. If you're interested in a specific subject and want me to reupload some pictures, just let me know. :) 

Finished : F-16C Barak, F-4J VMF333, Czech Mig-19PM, Bell X-1, Russian Su-25 in Chechnya, Ta152H-1, Czech Avia S.199, Heinkel He162, Swiss AF Bf109G-6, Regia Aeronautica Bf109G-6, P-47D "Slick Chick", RFC Sopwith Pup, A5M2 Claude, Schneider Cup 1926 Macchi M.39, German F-104G JaboG34, Curtiss P-6E, Curtiss P-36A USAAC, Piper SuperCub floatplane (PA-18-150), Russian built Nieuport 11, Albatros D.Va Seefrontstaffel 1, Bf109G-12 (two-seater trainer), Texas ANG F-86D,  Post-war Hawker Tempest Mk.V, Bf109E-3, F-35A 34th FS

#17 ade rowlands

ade rowlands

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 03:27 PM

I’ve emailed the shadow cutter people for a quote on shipping. I’m not sure where they are based but I’m fearing the cost of shipping will be prohibitive to me getting one of their cutters as the cutter itself is a little pricey at $49. We shall see. I am for sure getting a Portrait though. How does the auto depth blade work, does it sense the thickness of the material and adjust itself or work it out from something I input into the software?

#18 MostlyRacers

MostlyRacers

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,254 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 04:20 PM

Thank you Nicolas. I ordered a stock of spare blades the very same day I found I had broken the one I had. And guess what ? I have not had to change any since .... :)

Hubert

#19 MostlyRacers

MostlyRacers

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,254 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 04:24 PM

I’ve emailed the shadow cutter people for a quote on shipping. I’m not sure where they are based but I’m fearing the cost of shipping will be prohibitive to me getting one of their cutters as the cutter itself is a little pricey at $49. We shall see. I am for sure getting a Portrait though. How does the auto depth blade work, does it sense the thickness of the material and adjust itself or work it out from something I input into the software?

Two things :

You indicate in the cutting software the blade depth you have chosen ... (you have a menu of different materials to help you choose the best one, but can always decide on a custom setting and name and save it)

... and you manually adjust this depth by rotating the crown of the blade-holder.

No sophisticated sensor technology here :).

Hubert

#20 Mark_C

Mark_C

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 09:17 PM

From what I've read, blades with shallower angles can be used for deeper cuts.  There are people who sell replacement blade systems for the Silhouette, and I bought a set, with three each at 30, 45, and 60 degrees.  I have not tried them out yet.

#21 ade rowlands

ade rowlands

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 09:23 AM

Shipping for the Shadowcutter was $15 so I thought I’d give that a try, if it doesn’t cut the Styrene sheet it will have other uses, making circle masks for wheel hubs and whatnot. Will still be getting a Silhouette though as I have a lot of uses planned for one of those. Thanks to all who chipped in.

#22 mmaben

mmaben

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,406 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 12:52 AM

Hmm, I have an original Cameo (version 1) and I cut a piece

of .020" / .508 mm sheet styrene with 2 passes and didn't break anything.

The cut wasn't particularly sharp/exact but it wasn't terrible either.

The company says it isn't so much how deep the cut is, it's

more the density of the material you're trying to cut. The regular

ratchet blade cuts to a depth of .039" / 1mm and the deep cut blade cuts

to .078" / 2mm (deep blades sold seperately).  I've been considering making

parts from heavy gage paper as it's less dense than styrene

for a more precise cut it needed.

Ade , I think it might work for ejector pin holes too.

https://www.silhouet...SILH-BLADE-DEEP

edit : Silhouette blades are less expensive on Amazon .

Edited by mmaben, 10 March 2018 - 01:02 AM.

• Out2gtcha likes this

I just like airplanes

Mike                        Smirnoffcat    RomanianG-2

#23 ade rowlands

ade rowlands

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 11:50 PM

Well I’ve gone ahead and ordered a Silhouette Portrait 2 earlier today, added an extra blade just in case too. Sooo the experimentation will begin soon. I will likely use the Shadowcutter for my previously mentioned attempts at cutting styrene circles, especially now that the newer version has a sizing guide on it where the older model didn’t and left some guesswork to be done on sizing. So a couple more questions, I will be getting the designer edition software once I get the hang of things, what’s the best software to use for importing the designs I want to cut? I will be using a Mac for this. Is the Business version worth the extra money? I can only see the weeding lines option as something I may use over the designer edition but can’t say that’s worth the extra $40. There’s a couple of projects I want to try out for my current build, one is creating some masks for the wing landing lamps on a 1/24th Hawker Hurricane, I have the Trumpeter etch set which includes the cover that goes on the lamp lense and I want to create a mask for the parts that will remain clear when painting the lamp, these are almost tear drop shaped things I can cut accurately by hand, so I’m thinking I can scan the etch sheet and create a pattern to cut from the etch parts, is that possible?

#24 MostlyRacers

MostlyRacers

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,254 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 07:23 AM

You can design cutting templates on the basic software. You can also import pictures ( jpeg type) in the working area. You will have then to redraw what you want to cut, as the vectoring function of the software, based on the imported pic, will likely have irregular and fuzzy lines. This is waht I had to do, when cutting masks for Martin, using a 1/48 decal sheet as the guide, to get masks for a North Korean MiG 15.

TheBusiness version allows you to import vector files drawn in any software. There are some paying ones, incredibly powerful, like Illustrator, or free ones that will do a good job a well for most of your purposes.

Finally, the software works without any glitches on Mac OSX. I have a Mac at home to which the Portrait are Curio are plugged.

Hubert

#25 Out2gtcha

Out2gtcha

• LSP Moderator
  • 23,009 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 11:47 AM

Yes for sure. The only way to save and import in non-Raster/AI/Vector is to get the Designer Edition software. The DE software also has a couple other smaller features that the OOB software does not.

The ability to import and export Vector files makes the software upgrade a no-brainer for me, as importing Raster .jpg and trying to cut design templates from them is sometimes very problematic.

I have NOT done so yet, but am currently saving my money for AI or like program I can make my own Vectors in, then use the Silhouette to import and make a cutting template from there.
Even if you don't have AI or the like yet, the Designer Edition software us well worth the price for the things it lets you do IMHO.
  • LSP_Kevin likes this

#26 ade rowlands

ade rowlands

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 11:54 AM

Good stuff. So any recommendations on this vector software? Free stuff would be a plus.
  • Out2gtcha likes this

#27 Out2gtcha

Out2gtcha

• LSP Moderator
  • 23,009 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 12:17 PM

Good stuff. So any recommendations on this vector software? Free stuff would be a plus.

Im far from an expert on the Vector format images, but Im not really sure there are a whole lot, if any free options out there.  As far as Im aware its Adobe Illustrator but Im not sure about other options. 

To tell you the truth, Id like to know a bit more about AI myself, as all this subscription, and lifetime or yearly/monthly subscription stuff confuses me a bit. Plus there are so many versions that Id love to see if maybe an older (and cheaper!) version of AI would still work for what I want. Hell, Ive been working with a 17 year old program called Photo-Draw that came out in 2001 so far for .jpg stuff, so Im hoping an older version of AI might cut it. 

#28 wunwinglow

wunwinglow

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 01:54 PM

Inkscape.....
  • Out2gtcha and Zero77 like this

My Father told me two things would happen as I got older.
I can't remember either of them....

FLYINGSTART_TITLE%20SMALL.JPG

#29 dashotgun

dashotgun

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 02:29 PM

I am getting interested in the whole 

Silhouette  thing    cameo vs portrait?     any advantage for the modeler for the bigger one?  bundle vs stand alone?      amazon has the stand alone for 169 and a bundle for 269

Edited by dashotgun, 15 March 2018 - 02:32 PM.

• Out2gtcha likes this

#30 ade rowlands

ade rowlands

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 02:33 PM

Inkscape.....

Thanks, will give that a try when my Portrait arrives.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users