• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 ade rowlands

ade rowlands

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 07:28 AM

Still looking at getting one of these machines in the near future, would have been last month but the car needed 3 new tyres which blew my savings for one of these away and then some. So I'm currently tinkering with a 1/24 Trumpeter Hurricane on and off when the mood strikes and I've come up against some ejector pin holes in a hard to sand spot and this spot will also need to be sprayed NMF/Silver in the undercarriage bay. The holes are a little deep too, my usual method for such holes is to punch some card if the hole matches a punch I have then glue said bit of styrene sheet disc into the ejector pin hole and sand flush, now, these holes that need filing are way larger than any punch I have so I came to thinking could a Silhouette plotter cut some discs in thin styrene as far as I can tell the device will cut stuff up to 2mm thick, but obviously the resistance of the material to the blade is key here. I'm thinking styrene of 0.2mm thickness here and I can stack it to fill the pin hole if needs be. I'd also need to cut some circular covers for the landing lamps in the wings as the kit has no clear parts to fit on the lamps themselves, just the clear piece that fits to the wing. So, anybody tried using their machine to cut thin styrene? I see the software has a multiple pass feature which may be required and the newer machines come with the auto depth blade. I have found a machine at a decent price and will likely be able to get one around the end of this month. Also, is there a list out there of what fonts were used by which Air Forces for Squadron codes letters and the like? Yes, I could just use Mr Surfacer or Mr dissolved putty to try fill the holes but I was curious if anybody had used their Silhouette to cut thin Styrene.

#2 thierry laurent

thierry laurent

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,065 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 10:36 AM

Possibly not a bad idea but this will decrease the blade lifetime. For such a job, why not simply relying on a punch and die tool?
  • mozart likes this

#3 Mark_C

Mark_C

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 10:41 AM

I tried cutting 0.005" plastic sheet with my Portrait and standard blade.  No dice.  It couldn't manage it, much less anything thicker. 

just thought you'd like to know.

#4 Zero77

Zero77

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,041 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 10:44 AM

The only help i can bring is that USAF used the Amarillo USAF font.

https://www.dafont.c...rillo-usaf.font

Following the big Photobucket rip-off attempt, all my pictures on the forum cannot display anymore. I try to reupload the RFI pictures, but i'm not sure i'd have enough time and energy to reupload the pictures of the WIP threads. If you're interested in a specific subject and want me to reupload some pictures, just let me know. :) 

Finished : F-16C Barak, F-4J VMF333, Czech Mig-19PM, Bell X-1, Russian Su-25 in Chechnya, Ta152H-1, Czech Avia S.199, Heinkel He162, Swiss AF Bf109G-6, Regia Aeronautica Bf109G-6, P-47D "Slick Chick", RFC Sopwith Pup, A5M2 Claude, Schneider Cup 1926 Macchi M.39, German F-104G JaboG34, Curtiss P-6E, Curtiss P-36A USAAC, Piper SuperCub floatplane (PA-18-150), Russian built Nieuport 11, Albatros D.Va Seefrontstaffel 1, Bf109G-12 (two-seater trainer), Texas ANG F-86D,  Post-war Hawker Tempest Mk.V, Bf109E-3, F-35A 34th FS

#5 ade rowlands

ade rowlands

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 11:48 AM

Possibly not a bad idea but this will decrease the blade lifetime. For such a job, why not simply relying on a punch and die tool?

My punch and die set and none of the available ones I have found will punch holes/discs large enough for what I need on the Hurricane at the moment. The diameter of the Hurricane landing lamps I needed to cut some covers for are 7.2mm, a rather precise size not suited to a punch and die anyway. Plus I was curious if anybody had attempted it as I shall be buying a Silhouette anyway for other projects and their requirements.

#6 ade rowlands

ade rowlands

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 11:51 AM

I tried cutting 0.005" plastic sheet with my Portrait and standard blade. No dice. It couldn't manage it, much less anything thicker.

just thought you'd like to know.

I did discover a few videos on YouTube of people using a Silhouette to cut what looked like Acetate sheet for multi use stencils for painting I guess. They were doing multi pass cuts and changing blade depth between cuts too. The results looked promising with clean cuts and a thin Acetate sheet might work for one of my current needs on the Hurricane. Probably would require a brand new blade too, and probably another after. Thanks for the info in your attempts.

Edited by ade rowlands, 08 March 2018 - 11:52 AM.

#7 ade rowlands

ade rowlands

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 11:53 AM

The only help i can bring is that USAF used the Amarillo USAF font.

https://www.dafont.c...rillo-usaf.font

Thanks, will add that page to my bookmarks.

#8 Out2gtcha

Out2gtcha

• LSP Moderator
  • 22,980 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 12:08 PM

Yes, have not tried cutting any styrene with mine. I do have a set of 3 extra blades which I think are a good idea in general anyway, but as noted above, even with marked multiple pass cuts it would significantly deteriorate the blade. 

I dont know of any list that has all the fonts used by different countries, but have in the past Googled, then arrived at sites like dafont.com and others like it to match up whatever .ttf I was looking for

#9 ade rowlands

ade rowlands

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 12:22 PM

Yes, have not tried cutting any styrene with mine. I do have a set of 3 extra blades which I think are a good idea in general anyway, but as noted above, even with marked multiple pass cuts it would significantly deteriorate the blade. 

I dont know of any list that has all the fonts used by different countries, but have in the past Googled, then arrived at sites like dafont.com and others like it to match up whatever .ttf I was looking for

I’ll be getting spare blades and cutting mats to cover my learning curve, no fear. Will also buy plenty of Oramask 810. Have some Tamiya masking sheets I’d ordered in error a while back too that I’ll be using up. Provided no unexpected bill arrives at my door this month I shall be getting a Portrait 2 by the end of the month. That’s my modelling budget through to the Summer taken out in one fell swoop though unlike many purchases this one will start to pay me back in saving from having to get masking sets and decals.
  • Out2gtcha likes this

#10 Out2gtcha

Out2gtcha

• LSP Moderator
  • 22,980 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 12:30 PM

Mine has already paid me back several times IMHO, just on the knowledge that I can within reason, make almost any scheme I want provided it does not have any high color count artwork or 3D style picture artwork. Its really been a very handy machine indeed, and has opened a whole world of possibilities for me. 

Just a week or two ago I completed a full scheme for  the new ROG P-51 "Horses Itch" and even got a set of 357th FG nose checker masks make based off of the kit decals that I scanned in.   Im not sure it could have been pulled off any other way for the comparatively small price I have invested in the machine, blades and Oramask

#11 ade rowlands

ade rowlands

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 12:55 PM

Mine has already paid me back several times IMHO, just on the knowledge that I can within reason, make almost any scheme I want provided it does not have any high color count artwork or 3D style picture artwork. Its really been a very handy machine indeed, and has opened a whole world of possibilities for me. 

Just a week or two ago I completed a full scheme for  the new ROG P-51 "Horses Itch" and even got a set of 357th FG nose checker masks make based off of the kit decals that I scanned in.   Im not sure it could have been pulled off any other way for the comparatively small price I have invested in the machine, blades and Oramask

Yeah, I was looking at my part started kits the other day as I had an itch to glue some stuff together and picked the Hurricane but could see a use for the Silhouete in pretty much each of those started kits, the P-51 I was wondering if I could create a mask to ensure that I got the Green part of the nose the same on both sides for ‘Daddy’s Girl’ using the Fundekals set, masks for correct width Invasion stripes on the radiator housing and a few other things so decided to keep that one in the stash until I have and am proficient with the Silhouette.
  • Out2gtcha likes this

#12 Out2gtcha

Out2gtcha

• LSP Moderator
  • 22,980 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 01:04 PM

Once you get used to the software its a pretty quick learning curve. Ive since discovered one of the slightly more difficult things to pick up, but one of THE most useful things to know, is editing points. The points get created when you do an outline of a picture that creates the actual image that will be cut. There are most always it seems WAY more points that the program creates, and learning how to eliminate, modify or change these  can really take a not so great scan and make it something you are really happy with.

Id also HIGHLY recommend the "Designers Edition" software upgrade. It will allow you to "nest" images to save mask material, and more importantly, will allow the import/export/saving in AI/Vector format as well. 

• ScanmanDan likes this

#13 Zero77

Zero77

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,041 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 01:09 PM

To cut circles in various materials, you can try that tool :

http://forum.largesc...showtopic=71071

• ade rowlands likes this

Following the big Photobucket rip-off attempt, all my pictures on the forum cannot display anymore. I try to reupload the RFI pictures, but i'm not sure i'd have enough time and energy to reupload the pictures of the WIP threads. If you're interested in a specific subject and want me to reupload some pictures, just let me know. :) 

Finished : F-16C Barak, F-4J VMF333, Czech Mig-19PM, Bell X-1, Russian Su-25 in Chechnya, Ta152H-1, Czech Avia S.199, Heinkel He162, Swiss AF Bf109G-6, Regia Aeronautica Bf109G-6, P-47D "Slick Chick", RFC Sopwith Pup, A5M2 Claude, Schneider Cup 1926 Macchi M.39, German F-104G JaboG34, Curtiss P-6E, Curtiss P-36A USAAC, Piper SuperCub floatplane (PA-18-150), Russian built Nieuport 11, Albatros D.Va Seefrontstaffel 1, Bf109G-12 (two-seater trainer), Texas ANG F-86D,  Post-war Hawker Tempest Mk.V, Bf109E-3, F-35A 34th FS

#14 ade rowlands

ade rowlands

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 01:57 PM

To cut circles in various materials, you can try that tool :
http://forum.largesc...showtopic=71071

I had completely forgotten about that device! Thanks. I will have to look into that one.

#15 MostlyRacers

MostlyRacers

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,254 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 02:25 PM

I tried, and increased the blade depth ... and broke the blade very quickly :( ! And of course I did not (at the time) have spare blades :( :( :( !

If you do, keep the blade depth as small as possible, and choose multiple passes. Very likely, you will score the plastic more than completely cut through it, but this is what we do most of the time with a #11 blade anyway ;) ...

If you want to cut through thicker materials, then the Curio is better than the Portrait. it is more limited in terms of size of the sheets it will accept, but that should not be an issue for most work.

Hubert

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users