Best Battle of Britain era Stuka?

Guest The Southern Bandit

As much as I want to build as accurate as possible OOB (which is my thing due to time/money constraints and all the other blah blah blah) would it be safe to assume 1) the Trumpeter kit is good enough to fool the viewer if the people most likely to see my planes are family and friends who aren't familiar with WWII other than Hollywood and television, and 2) meet my need of the being the best representation of the subject currently available without using aftermarket?

Make no mistake ... the Trumpeter kit will come out nicely detailed OOB ... it fits together quite well (as the majority of Trumpeter kits will do) ...

It'll look alright too ... but as I said, with most who are familiar with the early WWII "chunky, ugly" B-series, something just looks off ... you do have sit down to work out exactly what that is, though ...

BUT it's a decent build up on its own, OOB ... and it definitely looks like a Stuka! ... I think it will fit the bill for what you're after

Rog :)

Edited by Artful69

Pretty much your only options in 1/32 are the old Revell and the Trumpeter B kits. As noted, the the Trumpeter kit has some obvious errors, especially in the nose. The best OOTB big scale kit is probably the 1/24 Airfix kit.

I built the Airfix 1/24 as a teenager, and it was a dog. Is there a new tool release?

I built the Airfix 1/24 as a teenager, and it was a dog. Is there a new tool release?

We must have had different kits! The 1/24 Airfix Stuka I have on the go at the moment (very slowly admittedly) is a lovely kit and still the same 1975 tooling. Not had any fit issues so far. Which boxing of the kit did you have? Some of the 1990s boxings I have display some very bad moulding qualities. The early and recent boxings I have are very good.

Regarding the 1/32 BoB Stuka. There are some that will try to say that the B-2 wasn't operational during the battle (I had that over on the "other" site). It certainly was though, along side the B-1 variant, but do check your references on individual airframes. (Some R-1s and R-2s made it to the Channel Front also in 1940) It's quite easy to back date to a B-1, or try to find a specific B-2 version....Double check though, I've found many errornous profile artwork for BoB Stukas. Remember also that most units had removed the siren by this point too. 

Go with OOB or the correction set....always build to your own personal preference. I did buy the correction set, and once you have that it's very clear just how undersized the Trumpeter nose is. Most folk probably wouldn't notice though!

Edited by fightersweep

So, really daft question then, is the old Revell Ju87B kit any use? Can it be used combined with the Trumpeter version? I know it's old, old, old (I'm 57 and I can remember it being issued in the 70s), so I'm not unrealistically hoping it'll be cutting edge. But is it any use at all?

Padraic

No, alas! The Revell kit has also nose shape issues and the fuselage length is off...

Looked alright to me when I made it in 1970 aged twelve. Liked the red snake marking, which might not have been accurate but looked great, esp. with a 1.5v motor turning the propeller.

Seriously, I like the goofy look of the A much better. I'm assuming that has an undersized nose too (?¿)

Tony

The one Hasegawa will do someday  :please:

But are there enough of us who would be willing to pay the "newly released large-scale kit price", especially for the traditional Hasegawa quality as I did for my Trumpeter 1/24th Ju-87A?

The kit is fantastic, just as I thought, but there are a bunch of weenies who "wimped out" at their asking price.

That is what leaves us at the mercy of the "now you see them-now you don't" AM resin add-on vendors for the '87B.

Edited by Gigant

Fix it yourself then! No one is forcing you to buy aftermarket products!!!!

Excellent point!

This gets to the heart of my "pet peeve" with AM resin "fix-it kits".

They look nice in the built-up picture expertly done by the creator of the component, but in fact, depending on the quality of his castings, and the condition of his rubber molds that day, there can be as much or more time and effort to the "resin solution" bits and pieces then making my own details as I have in the past.

That is why when a really good kit subject I like is produced the way I want, I am willing to buy it like I did.

Excellent point!

This gets to the heart of my "pet peeve" with AM resin "fix-it kits".

They look nice in the built-up picture expertly done by the creator of the component, but in fact, depending on the quality of his castings, and the condition of his rubber molds that day, there can be as much or more time and effort to the "resin solution" bits and pieces then making my own details as I have in the past.

That is why when a really good kit subject I like is produced the way I want, I am willing to buy it like I did.

I agree, a properly done Hasegawa B2 would be most welcome and I would gladly pay whatever price. I was ready to give up on my correction nose until I received some most welcome help from monthebif. Resin parts are not as perfect as they seem.