1/32 Trumpeter Me 262A-1a "Yellow 3"

Thunnus

Thanks guys!

I've added a few details to the landing gear legs before moving on.

IMG_2442.jpg

Jumping over to the instrument panel... Aires has provided a resin panel with a blank forward face and instrument housings and wiring on the back. All of the wiring is pressed against the panel so I thought I'd add a few free-hanging wires to give the back of the panel some 3D detail.

IMG_2443.jpg

I'll leave the new wires sticking straight out so that I can paint the other wires more easily. I'll bend them into position when the IP is complete and ready to be installed.

IMG_2444.jpg

The front of the Aires instrument panel is dressed up with clear acetate with the instrument gauge detail printed in black sandwiched between the resin panel and a couple layers of brass. I prefer this "older" approach to the decals and the pre-painted Eduard stuff. Before spraying the back of the acetate with white paint to bring out the gauge detail, I selectively dabbed some red and blue onto the dials for some color.

IMG_2445.jpg

The instrument panel parts are given a coat of RLM 66. I've picked out the instrument bezels in black.

IMG_2446.jpg

The painting is not quite finished but here's what the instrument panel face looks like.

IMG_2448.jpg

Edited by Thunnus

Great modeling, great photographs and great explanations of just about everything you do, which makes this the ideal WIP thread.  I have now become a fan of all your work!

Cheers,

Chuck

Edited by chuck540z3

Great modeling, great photographs and great explanations of just about everything you do, which makes this the ideal WIP thread. I have now become a fan of all your work!

Cheers,

Chuck

Thank you Chuck! Likewise on your builds... I gain lots of inspiration following your builds, not only for the subject matter but the presentation. I really want to up my game on this aspect and builders like you are great examples to follow.

A little more work on the cockpit... I've finished the painting of the instrument panel by adding some color highlights around some of the bezels. Are you impressed with the perfect circular rings of red, white and yellow? Look to the upper left of the photo to see how I did it!

IMG_2449.jpg

IMG_2450.jpg

I've attached the acetate to the PE instrument panel face using Alclad Aqua Gloss as a glue. This gives me plenty of time to center the instruments in their dials.

IMG_2451.jpg

The back of the instrument panel has been painted as well. The overall color is RLM 66 with the wiring either light grey or yellow.

IMG_2452.jpg

Some more of the small details in the cockpit before painting: the PE foot pedals and some wiring added to the resin control stick.

IMG_2456.jpg

Edited by Thunnus

Thanks Brian!

Still putzing around with the Me 262 without committing to any major tasks. I will be leaving the country for a couple of weeks starting Sunday and I don't want to leave halfway into a significant assembly such as gluing in the cockpit/wheel well tub. So I'll just be working on a few odds and ends before taking a short hiatus from model building.

The painted instrument panel face has been attached to the resin instrument panel body using Elmer's White Glue. A quick check to see how the panel fits within the as of yet, unpainted, cockpit tub. In the background, you can see the seat, which I've given a coat of Alclad Dark Aluminum.

IMG_2459.jpg

IMG_2460.jpg

IMG_2461.jpg

The seat was given a coat of hairspray and then painted with Gunze RLM66.

IMG_2466.jpg

Using a stiff paint brush dipped in water, I create the chipping effect. The seat back was painted in various shades of brown and tan.

IMG_2469.jpg

Although the Aires resin set includes buckles and PE harnesses, I've chosen to use HGW fabric belts. I'm not a big fan of the pre-painted PE belts from Eduard at this scale. It's difficult to get them to look natural and excessive bending will cause the paint to flake off. The fabric belts look a bit more natural.

IMG_2471.jpg

I followed the HGW instructions of crumpling up the belt pieces before assembly but I noticed some of the paint wearing off the belts when you do this. Make sure you set aside a few hours for this. The threading of the harnesses through the buckles, especially when you have TWO fabric pieces sharing the same slot, can be a time-consuming process. Instead of CA glue, as recommended by HGW, I used Elmer's White Glue to cinch the fabric ends together.

IMG_2472.jpg

Once the HGW belts are assembled, they are attached to the seat using CA glue. I may take another crack at posing the belts... get a few more folds in them.

IMG_2475.jpg

IMG_2476.jpg

I received this in the mail from David Brown! It is a very informative technical analysis of Yellow 3, including analysis of archive photos. It includes a four view, color painting guide for Yellow 3 with some very detailed nuances about the aircraft that I did not know including an offset between the starboard and port fuselage crosses. On the back are two beautiful color profiles (starboard and port) of Yellow 3 by Thomas Tullis. Also included are high quality decals (printed by Microscale) but unfortunately they come only in 1/48 and 1/72 sizes. A big thumbs up to David Brown for creating such an excellent modeling guide on this particular aircraft.

IMG_2470.jpg

Edited by Thunnus