Spent a fair amount of time painting this Mercedes D. III engine. I tried to be deft with the brush and true to the colors I've seen over the hundreds of engines that I've seen in the last couple weeks. I didn't get it perfect, but I'm pretty happy with it thus far.
After priming I discovered more bubble holes requiring love and affection. The exhaust pipe even had something that looked like a gentle fold in it. No matter. Putty, abrasives, and a proper filter apparatus had me ready for paint.
After the primer, I sprayed the entire apparatus with Alclad polished aluminum. The rest was done with a dying gold pen (dying so much that I actually had to put the tip of the paintbrush to the felt of the paint pen) and artist acrylics.
All that remains is a wash with oils, then some heavy work with pastels on the exhaust pipe.
Without further ado, the scary results of half a days work:
I read somewhere that the exhaust pipes used on these machines were made from a copper alloy. Having never been that close to one, I can't refute or affirm. Lacking copper paint, I decided to make it a little brassy with gold pen over silver then complete the 'burnt look' with pastels. Can't make any promises...
Thanks for looking!