Trumpeter's SBD-1 UPDATE: 2/18/18: THE GEAR: DONE

Guest Peterpools

Very nice build Peter. I love what so many of the guys do on this site using AM but it is really nice to see a kit built OOB once in a while.....I think it reminds us that this is how modelling used to be!!

Now all i need is my 1/32 Mossie and find a conversion to make it into a Tsetse Coastal Command bird and i'll be a happy man!!

Keep up the great work

Mark

Guest Peterpools

Mark, much appreciated

Enjoying the change of pace and quite agree in a way it's a trip back into the 70's for me; build what's in the box as there wasn't any real after market. Matter of fact, no PC's, no internet, no cellphones and ..

yes half the fun was the trip to the local hobby shop to actually buy a kit and a few bottles of Pactra paint. Back then I was a 72nd scale builder, the kit and paint and change for a five.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Brother Bear

Always appreciate the kind words and thanks for checking in.

How are you making out with the storm? Is it as bad in your area as up here on the island

Peter

Lovely work as ever Peter - clean, spotless (although, tut, tut, not quite scratchless  ;) ) your accompanying clarity of text is a perfect match :coolio: .

Seeing this come together inspires me to have a crack at an OOB at some point before too long. That said for me the thought of not doing anything to fine tune/improve etc  will be very difficult, I just can't help myself. Maybe the idea of obeying strict competition rules for an OOB class is the way to go...  :hmmm:

Torben

'How are you making out with the storm? Is it as bad in your area as up here on the island'

You mean the Winter Storm Warning Advisory?

We, as you, have bone chilling temperatures.  It's Arctic winds and temperatures here.  I don't understand how anyone can do it.  It must be in their blood.  Now, it's about 7 with howling 30m/h winds.  Too cold for me.  I told my wife when we landed in the Philly Airport on New Years Day (from a vacation in Italy) that when I retire I'm buying land in the U.S. Virgin Islands.

But snow-wise we dodged a bullet.  DC is on the western cusp of the storm.  Snow is minimal.  An inch in my County.  A little more East of me.  At this latitude most of it was at sea.  As it traveled north it went straight up, not following the coast, but straight up, so Philadelphia on up received the brunt of the snow.  I've been watching the Weather Channel, you Yanks are taking a beating.  Which should give you more Honey-Do List and modeling time.  No?

Be safe, and warm.

Sincerely,

Mark

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Torben ... much appreciated. So far it seems I've done more NMF paint work then building or any other air brush work. I'm sure there will be a few more scratching here and there as even with care, way too much handling for this type of interior finish. Hopefully it won't be too noticeable when done.

While building a kit OOB with strict guidelines has it's advantages, frustration surely sets in as well. It's a daily fight/reminder not to add or change kit parts. Still a mojo builder and a lot of pure fun.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Brother Bear

Right with you - the freezing weather is getting to be too much and moving to Florida is something my wife and I have been talking about more and more.

Glad you didn't have all the snow to deal with ... it's piled a mile high here. Temps are now around 6-7F and the wind is howling - oh what joy.

Just stay inside and keep warm ... the forecast is for the weather to warm up on Sunday - close to freezing!

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

Hey Peter,  Been off in 1/72 land for awhile finishing my builds for the museum and not surfing the LSP world much.

I saw the OOB Dauntless and had to catch up with this. Love the pre-war Navy/Marine Yellow Wings schemes and the 

SBD is a beautiful airplane in these colors. My last three 1/32 nd builds I did OOB and found it to be a wonderful change

of pace. The nice thing is if you want, you can  put them in the "Regular" contest category and see what happens. I've 

placed twice with my Revell Raiden in 1/32 Prop, and yes there were more than 3 entries, It's kinda fun!.

This build is looking beautiful as you progress with it. Good kit, Excellent building skills, make a HAPPY OOB!

p.s. I'm planning to build my Airfix  Big Tiffie OOB with it all hanging out!

Great Stuff my friend

Jack

You know, we do occasionally get snow in Florida. My cousins in Tallahassee posted their recent snowfall on their facebook page earlier this week and I have experienced it in Orlando.

Granted, it ain't Minnesota snow but it's something.

Edited by CATCplSlade

Guest Peterpools

HI Jack

Much appreciated - both the very nice comments on the SBD and the IPMS rules - I never knew. Going OOB has been a breath of fresh air and absolutely mojo builder and the upcoming Noreastcon a goal and guide line for sure. Did you take any photos of the museum models you could share - love to see them.

Looking forward to your upcoming Airfix 24th scale Tiffy build and I'll be with you all the way.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Cat

Seems the whole country is mighty cold right now and snowing in Florida - as William Bendix use to say"..what a revolting development".

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Phil ... wish I could say isn't that cold but it's single digits and with the wind chill, it's like -20F. way too cold for these old bones.

Much appreciated the kind words on the SBD exhausts - just wanted to try something a bit different. I test fitted the the Cyclone into the four piece cowling as just as I thought - can't see a thing other then the front of the crank case and the cylinders.

Peter

Edited by Peterpools