• Please log in to reply
251 replies to this topic

#181 Jim Barry

Jim Barry

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 07:48 PM

I would support you making another one. The tires are one of the best part of a P-47 and key to this upgrade (as well as being very visible). You'll stare at the mistakes forever but it'll just take a day to correct. Fantastic work, Jay. Rare to get some tricky scratchbuild objects right the first time. Too much to learn.

• JayW likes this

#182 JayW

JayW

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 09:01 PM

Good honest advice all.  And TwoHands - what a marvelous looking saw.  I ought to get it; it might just fit inside the uprights!  That is should I bite the bullet and make a third one.  That requires a night or two of sleeping on it.

• harvey likes this

#183 JayW

JayW

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 09:04 PM

"Can’t you make a resin copy of #2 ? "

Hubert - recall I made that resin prop blade!  Didn't even think about making the tire from resin.  The part requires machine tolerances on the ID so that the wheel rims fit properly; not sure I'd get that with resin.  I will think on this.

• harvey likes this

#184 TwoHands

TwoHands

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 06:12 PM

Good honest advice all.  And TwoHands - what a marvelous looking saw.  I ought to get it; it might just fit inside the uprights!  That is should I bite the bullet and make a third one.  That requires a night or two of sleeping on it.

They are an extremely handy took once you start using it. Very fine cuts and fast even on thick stock.

• harvey and JayW like this

"I'M TOO CLOSE FOR MISSILES, SWITCHING TO GUNS!"

#185 JayW

JayW

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 11:14 PM

Jim Barry said this:

"I would support you making another one. The tires are one of the best part of a P-47 and key to this upgrade (as well as being very visible). You'll stare at the mistakes forever but it'll just take a day to correct. Fantastic work, Jay. Rare to get some tricky scratchbuild objects right the first time. Too much to learn."

And Jim is right.  I was quibbling because there is so much work involved making another tire.  So I did.  Here are the two tires that will be used for the build:

IWaaLhel.jpg

The third tire turned out so well that I didn't have to hide any bad parts with the weighted flat! 

You also see lathe-turned wheel parts.  The hardest ones are done, but I still have the outer rims and the brake drums to go.  It takes a very long time.  Then I whittle on some sheet plastic re-enforcing ribs (6 per wheel), and some other little details. 

Just FYI - here's a shot of one of the inner rims being end-milled:

484mPMxl.jpg

That is how I make the spoke holes.  You would think the machine operations are exact but they are not.  The part is small so the effect of tolerances is magnified, and the various components of the end mill (the post, the cutter, the axle, etc) all deflect just a touch when cutting.  So, in the end I whip out the files and do a bunch of hand work to get it into some shape. 

Next post you will see two completed tire/wheel combo's.  

Edited by JayW, 09 March 2018 - 12:17 AM.

• TwoHands, LSP_Kevin, MostlyRacers and 7 others like this

#186 harvey

harvey

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,431 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 11:18 PM

WOW !!......Harv :popcorn:

There's a fine line between cuddling and holding someone down so they can't get away
working on:  Tamiya F4U-2 Night Fighter
Trump P-38M BACK ON BENCH FINISHED!!!

#187 Gazzas

Gazzas

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,907 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 05:56 AM

That's too fricking awesome for words.

Gaz

• JayW and Gerhard like this

​We don't have social skills.  We build models.

#188 Gerhard

Gerhard

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,570 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 06:32 AM

Gaz said it all. 

• JayW likes this

#189 richdlc

richdlc

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,117 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 08:49 AM

wow, this is amazing work. Makes me want to go out and buy a lathe

• JayW likes this

F4U-4 Corsair:   F4U-4 Corsair  B-17G Fortress:  http://forum.largesc...showtopic=47228  A-1H Skyraider:  http://forum.largesc...showtopic=53052

Current Project, 1/18 SBD-5 Dauntless:  http://forum.largesc...showtopic=53741

#190 Jim Barry

Jim Barry

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 01:52 PM

I felt a little guilty for poking you on this, but thought it was what you were really looking for. You were really just some beads of sweat away from  two amazing P-47 tires forever. Very good! 

• harvey and JayW like this

#191 JayW

JayW

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 03:12 PM

I said in my post that the hardest lathe turned parts are done.  Not so - I have managed to fracture two brake drum parts so far (made from acrylic), the last one on the final cut.  But the machine time for the part is around 2 hours (not the better part of a day like the tires).   Stay tuned; I'll get there.

• harvey and Out2gtcha like this

#192 Out2gtcha

Out2gtcha

• LSP Moderator
  • 22,991 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 03:26 PM

Great work!  The result of the lathe work is tremendous looking. Id likely screw that up if given a chance for sure. 

• JayW likes this

#193 imatt88

imatt88

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 03:37 PM

This is going in a museum, right?
  • harvey, NavyF4s and JayW like this

bth_470_maiden0.jpg

Only THE greatest rock band in the world

#194 TwoHands

TwoHands

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 05:43 PM

Stunning work Jay. So glad your documenting this build. One of my favorite things about LSP is seeing the work and ingenuity that goes into a really great build.

• JayW likes this

"I'M TOO CLOSE FOR MISSILES, SWITCHING TO GUNS!"

#195 JayW

JayW

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 08:06 PM

OK - it's been about a month for the tire/wheel project.  I have about a week to go, but I have something good to show you.  First, when this P-47 was going to be a razorback (see my first posts), the wheels were going to have wheel covers, which would have greatly simplified the scratch building of the wheels.  For those of you not that familiar with P-47's (any of you out there?), this picture shows wheels with wheel covers:

5PlRIM0l.jpg

Then, I changed to the bubble-top, specifically Major Eagleston's aircraft - here is a wartime picture:

ijaqkHRl.jpg?1

Is that a cool image, or what?  Note this aircraft lacks wheel covers.  So be it.  Now I have to create the spoke patterns, and even more - since you can easily see inside the rims, I have to create some level of detail in there.  

The wheels and drum brakes were apparently supplied by Bendix.  And drawings are not available to me.  But I found a fabulous cross section picture in the Erection and Maintenance manual:

lBzy2MPh.jpg

That is almost as good as the engineering drawings.  It has reams of information I can use.  And use it I did.  You have already seen the beginnings of the wheel fabrication effort.  Let's see some more:

You have seen this picture before:

IWaaLhel.jpg

I combined two of the acrylic pieces and one of the brass pieces and got this:

kELVBT3l.jpg?1

But you also see 18 nuts (Meng again) which in real life attach the brake drum to the wheel, the beginnings of re-inforcement ribs (one lying next to the wheel), and the axle housing.  All that stuff is well-defined in that cross-section.

With internal re-inforcement complete, it looks like this:

xNHrsX0l.jpg

That was a big PITA.

The outer rim and brake drum were next:

2RSSO9Gl.jpg?1

The brake drum (on the left) is the third try after I fractured the first two.  The little stiffening elements on the rim on the right are chunks of .015 by .040 strip, each epoxied into place and then trimmed flush.

Slide one into the other and you get this (should look familiar to P-47 experts):

3H1M9zHl.jpg

The last lathe-turned piece was the axle cap.  Here is one with machining almost done:

ii5uCBzl.jpg

Next post I present the finished tire/wheel.

Edited by JayW, 14 March 2018 - 08:13 PM.

• LSP_Kevin, MostlyRacers, harvey and 2 others like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: P-47, Thunderbolt, 1/18

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users