PBY-5A Catalina (Cutaway)

kkarlsen

WOW Kent - it's been a while since I've caught up with this thread... I think everyone's said what I will say - stunning !!!

I forgot - what scheme are you doing ??

Cannot wait to see IRL

Thomas

Thanks Thomas and thanks for asking about the scheme ;-)

Well I know it may become unpopular with the danish modellers, that I'm not doing a danish Cat.

But I've decided to do the USCG rescue plane mentioned in the book "Frozen in time".

I'm a sucker for the good story and this one is just as great as they get...

In short: In February-April 1943, Lieutenant Bernard W. Dunlop belly-landed his PBY-5A three times on the Greenland ice cap to
rescue the downed crew of a B-17.

7698-170118162327-128912350.jpeg

This plane Bureau number 7277/20 of VP-93/VP-126, was assigned to the Greenland Fleet Air Detachment at Bluie West One
(Narsarsuaq) during WW2.

7698-170118162327-1289270.jpeg

Lieutenant Bernard W. Dunlop was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross for this heroic act under very difficult circumstances.

"The President of the United States of America takes pleasure in presenting the Distinguished Flying Cross to Lieutenant Commander
Bernard W. Dunlop, United States Navy, for extraordinary achievement while participating in aerial flight as Pilot of a Navy Patrol plane
during the period 5 February 1943 to 5 April 1943. Lieutenant Commander Dunlop made three hazardous trips to rescue the crew of an
Army B-17 forced down on the Greenland Ice Cap. At great risk to himself and crew, he skillfully landed and took off on snow in a PBY-5A
plane and flew the survivors back to safety."

Cheers: Kent

BTW: I will bring the PBY to Lisbjerg this sunday, last chance to see it before I close up the fuselage...