RAF Tonka

Lancman

Hi guys here is my new project, taking a break from the Lanc and I just got my decal sheet yesterday so onwards we go. It has the CAM detail set plus the Eduard set for the cockpit.

Tornado1.jpg

Tornado2.jpg

Tornado3.jpg

TornadoDec.jpg

Graham.

Hi there , I'm working on exactly the same model, and planning to use the same decal sheet , odd!

I'm using the BB cockpit, and the Flightpath set , easish build so far , apart from messing up the pit , (i think), the CAM set looked intresting , but I've never been a fan of open panels , I refer the "buttoned up look",

Yours liks a really nice buld so far... :(

Hi there how about that, you don't see one for ages then they are as common as muck :D What Tonka are you going to do, I am planning on Danger Mouse or Truffle Snufflers as that is the kids favourite cartoon characters. :lol: I had the BB set but I thought it would be a bit fiddley to fit, how is the Flightpath set as all that etched metal looks complicated :blink:

Cheers

Graham.

I'm thinking about the COQ one, (my F-15E is "Dirty Bird" so the bird theme is there !)

The BB set is nice , but the placement details are a little weak, and I think my arrangement of bulkheads panels are a little out... :blink:

The Flight Path set is MAD!, ... there are some great features, the GR4 upgrades are great , are the the Linescan updates for the GR-4A . I'm going to use a number of the pieces, including the white metal nose gear, however the white metal wing pylons are heavy, and to be honest a touch "clunky" are are the white metal wheels

The cockpit upgrades are pretty well redundant if your using either the CAM or BB set . The enhancements for the airbrakes are very impressive , and I think I will use them, but he jetpipe set is pretty intensive, with however in my opinion, little enhancemnet beyond what is in the kit.

The enhancements for the canopy are again pretty impressive .

Overall its a beautiful set , but you have to be a better modeller than me to get the most out of it :lol: , but there are some decent enhancements that lift the kit out of the mundane, especially the overlays that fit ontop of the intakes, removing the need for re-scribing!

I'm also using the Flightpath TILAD pod , at least intil someone comes up ith a 32nd Stormshadow!

the only downside of the kit , as it somes out of the box is the need for re--scribing of panel lines on the underside of the nose and the rear fusalage

It sounds good but still a bit pricey, I work on two of the Tonkas systems here in Edinburgh. The TIALD pod and the LRMTS, as I am a test engineer in the Laser Systems Dept so I have a bit of a soft spot for the Tornado and Jag as it uses the same systems as well also I am looking forward to seeing some of your progress shots.

Cheers

Graham.

Graham,

Have you lined the intakes with Plastic card?

Also how about doing the Lanc and the Tonka as aircraft from the same squadron.

I wish the RAF Tornado kit was still available - the only one I've seen lately is the German ECR version.

I also wish that there was a new tool Tornado F3 available.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry guys but I thought I would split the prop jobs up with a jet, it is only a small update. B) I forgot how labour intensive jet cockpits are or I am out of practice so here's the pilots instument panel nearly finished, I went with the varnish to hold the acetate sheet in place then again for the etched part and when dry I put a small film of superglue around the edge to hold it in place. :P One of the changes from the GR1 to the GR4 is the screen in the centre of the panel.

Tornadopit1.JPG

Cheers

Graham.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys just a small update, I think I am going crosseyed as it is all small drops of paint on a cocktail stick and an eye glass but I am slowly getting there. :D I take my hat off to all you jet jockies as I find it a bit labourous doing jet cockpits, I have included the real backseater picture at the end. I am away to do the side consoles now.

TornadoP.JPG

TornadoP2.JPG

REALTornado.jpg

Cheers

Graham. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys well the cockpit is nearing completion, just a bit more weathering and wiring and then she can be closed up. Due to the rare warm weather that we are having just now in Scotland modelling is at a premium as the kids are taking up all my spare time so everything is progressing sloooowly, the wings, tail and elevators are all done so it should come together real soon. I left the boxes behind the seats in the cockpit colour as I don't have a clear shot of which colour they should be, but I hope you like it.

Tornado6.JPG

Tornado5.JPG

Tornado4.JPG

Cheers

Graham.

Nice work Lancman B)

I too have built this kit in the past, it sure is fun. Your cockpit looks very good indeed, you have a good drybrushing technique there.

I look forward to more pics and updates!

cheers,

Mike

Small update, I thought I had everything sanded paper thin and all aligned. :D If anybody has tried the CAM detail set they will know where I am coming from, endless looks at alignment and everything appeared to fit OK. :) I thought I will play safe first and using superglue in small spots I started from the rear top, front top of nose, underside of nose and when I thought I was on the homeward leg the bottom rear when the damn thing split apart F**K. :angry: The thing (notice I am now pissed at it) has been cleaned up and the nose gear bay has been seperated and quite a bit more shaved from under the cockpit tub, the resin parts are as thin as can be and I have added some tabs to help when the two halfs are re-united with one and other this will happen tomorrow. :D I now wish I had made it OOB like Scotsmans Tonka but I have started so I will finish, thanks for listening to my rant as everybody in the house has disappeared. ;) :blink:

CAMset.JPG

Cheers

Graham. :ph34r:

Well the nose is together :) I have added wiring to the back of the Nav's instruments and you can see the scratch build FLIR pod. One shot gives you a clue to how tight the CAM set is so all to do now is to fit the lovely Paragon seats that I got from our man Jay :D and then fill the electronic bays. As you can see I am not the worlds fastest builder when it comes to jets but once I get this far then everything seems to be easier <_< hope you like the progress so far ;)

Tornadonose1.JPG

Tornadonose2.JPG

Tornadonose3.JPG

Graham.

Wiring looks great mate. :) Sheesh tight fit. ;) <_<

I've got the same kit so I'll be watching how your builds up. Looks like a good kit to me.

There is every chance that if free to air TV over there is as crap as in Melb Aus you'd get more done. Big Brother :D ;)

No rush...enjoy