Eduard 1/32 Bf 109e-3

TaffyMan

Hi Folks and Folkess – Been a while since I have been around have had the pleasure of moving house – with all that that entails!!!!!!! :mental: :frantic: :doh:

So have finally got my bits out of the boxes…….

Just the one breakage that I can see so far Doh  :doh:  – But an easy fix

001-MosRepair_zpslota5om2.jpg

So now I am feeling the urge to build (And Not Decorate as my better half would like) also need to find some new work!

Got to earn it to burn it! Need to feed my plastic habit somehow!

So I'm going to dip my toe into some German hardware. I have always shied away from these subjects as all that fine mottled paintwork terrifies me and will defiantly push my fat fingered airbrushing to its limit.

The other reason for this one is with all the generosity with the Crimbo raffle that I have read - I thought I would put my LSP acquired bits to use.

So the kit came from a Group Build give away – think it was All Most Out Of The Box

And then I won the stickers in the raffle last year!

So put them together to get an LSP given to me inspired build.

002-ME109e3_zpsskvpoexa.jpg

I have also added some extras as you can see and I bought the book awhile back.

So that's me set – It'll be a little while to get full into it with Crimbo and stuff to do first! But I hope it wont be to long to cutting some plastic!!!!

Hope everyone has a great Christmas and Santa brings you some nice presents

Happy Days – Taff :D

Looking forward to it, Taff!

Just a word of warning. I built the E-3 weekend edition and it didn't have any rudder pedals (assuming you only get them in PE with the Profipack kit?). So, you may want to source some from another kit, aftermarket, or make your own (which is what I did).

:popcorn:

John

Looking forward to it, Taff!

Just a word of warning. I built the E-3 weekend edition and it didn't have any rudder pedals (assuming you only get them in PE with the Profipack kit?). So, you may want to source some from another kit, aftermarket, or make your own (which is what I did).

:popcorn:

John

Yer kidding - okay so its the cheaper option but you would think they would give you a basic pit! Ah well have to scratch them as I am looking for work at the moment so watching the pennies at the moment. I'll have a look shouldn't be to much of a task 

Cheers for looking in John and thanks for the warning. Have a good Christmas - Taff :D

dont let the mottles scare you!

If I can do it on my first ever airbrush job, you can.

Ta Shawn you've not seen how fat my fingers are ...... and that's before the Crimbo excess!!!!!

I'll give it my best shot I need to practice doing some more finer airbrush work.

Thanks for looking in and have a great Crimbo - Taff :D

• 1 month later...

Hi folks, been awhile since my last update.

So as the tasks of both moving house and looking for work in a new town got to me so I decided to take some time out and recharge for a week. That means I can get some of this done before a get the DIY avalanche list from SWMBA hits me.

Right let's get to it – the cockpit

As this is the weekend kit you don't get any of the PE so to try to make the cockpit a bit more convincing. I laid up the IP decal on to the flat IP backing in the kit. This was coated with floor polish – then to give it a bit more of a 3D look used some Airscale brass. I wasn't going for accuracy just what I could get to fit the dials. Next as there where no rudder pedals so I made up some out of some plastic card and wire. The rest of the cockpit was OOB.

One of the other bits to get some extra detail was the nose radiator. For this I used some RB mesh cut and stuck down with some varnish

003-ME109e3_zpsclea3hco.jpg

The nose radiator scope, when you put the Fuz halves together, you end up with these gaps down the sides that you don't get on the real thing. So to deal with this I stuck pieces of thin card on the edges. These will get stuck in place after the rad bits are stuck in to hopefully give it a sealed in box look.

So next I got to splash some yellow paint around. This was to make sure that I get the yellow into all those difficult places. I gave the nose a couple of light coats of yellow.

004-ME109e3_zpsb0i8pgn4.jpg

I also gave this area some pre shading – it looks a bit harsh here but there are more coats to go on yet.

So after an evening to dry this meant I could now stick down the inner edges to seal the nose scoop up.

005-ME109e3_zpsuj61ip66.jpg

Then trimmed off the top edges

006-ME109e3_zpsqit9p7ql.jpg

Now with this area drying I could finish putting the pit together.

The HGW belts – AHHHHHHHHHHHH!  :fight: 

Have to say I found the finished photographic picture instruction next to useless! I hunted around the web for some examples but struggled to find anything for the 109. I did find some clearer - Illustrated - instructions for some of their 1/48 scale belts. This showed the belts in line rather than the made up pic you get on the pack. With these I could kind off worked out how they go together and which bit folds around what!

After that fight (that took the best part of a day) I could do the final put together and added some Airscale cockpit placards to give it a bit more of a tart-up.

008-ME109e3_zps72bo1wgc.jpg

007-ME109e3_zpsrfdstisu.jpg

009-ME109e3_zpsrapd65nd.jpg

Okay with all that done and also the resin tail wheel well bits in I could seal up the fuselage. This was quite painless just bit of an issue lining up the nose. I had a slight bit of warp in one side. So this need a bit of a twist and hold as the glue set. Plus when the rest of the cowl goes on this should also help keep it in line

Okay back in a mo with some more

Taff :D

Okay back with some more

The Fuz stuck together

010-ME109e3_zps5cciaqyy.jpg

This was allowed to settle over night. Then it was time to sort out the seams on the nose. This was rubbed back then a bit of supper glue and talc added to the seam and edges. Some more wet and dry plus some Mr Surface, some more wet and dry - I was ready to patch up the paint work.

011-ME109e3_zps2z0k9qme.jpg

I read somewhere in LSP about under spraying the yellow with some pink! Helps for the colour to lay better with a better colour density. So I thought I would give it a try! For this I could have mixed some up but I thought I would spry some Humbrel Flesh first – to see how it would go.

012-ME109e3_zpsespopqss.jpg

Interesting colour! :hmmm:

Then a couple of thin coats of Yellow

013-ME109e3_zps779gqzff.jpg

Quite impressed with the results of that experiment and that seems to have also calmed down the pre shade!

This leads me to a question for the Me Expertans out there in the wonderful land of LSP  :help:

The seams on the top and bottom of the rear fuselage do I need to seal these in smooth or is there meant to be a panel line here?

The plans I have show it as a line but I can't see it on any of my ref pictures?

014-ME109e3_zpsobykqscw.jpg

This picture shows the area I mean – any help much appreciated!

Okay my next nice plan (fool :mental: ) to get the engine and exhausts in place …….. didn't work!!

The plan was to put the engine in place and then stick the exhausts in one at a time and move the engine up the nose till they where all in!!! Great idea but nope didn't work. Far to fiddle a job and as soon as you move the engine the friction takes the stacks off!!!!

So after some tea and biscuits (brain food) I resorted to a cut and shut with a small bit of bruit force!

I cut the end of the exhaust shroud with my finest chisels then levered these up whilst at the same time pushing the engine, with all the exhausts stuck on, into place.

015-ME109e3_zpsn5aprbtn.jpg

I needed to get the engine in, just in its most basic form, as you can see it through the holes in the engine cowls.

I stuck the cut pieces above the exhausts back in place also to give them extra support from some small bits of plastic card where stuck onto the back covering the cut joint.

016-ME109e3_zpsdifp65pk.jpg

So this is where I'm at the moment and its now back to the work hunt and trying to dodge the DIY list - so it might be a while before I get back to her.

So till then happy modelling everyone - Taff :D    

Yes that's a lap joint, joining both fuselage halves. This is just an opinion based on pictures of the real aircraft in service, that lap joint was not visible so for modelling purposes should not be represented. 

In this picture, the paint is gone and the joint can be seen, but with paint, and probably with aerodynamic sealant, of common use in aircraft construction, should not be represented. 

But, this is my opinion, not necessarily a general rule.

Cheers. Lovely subject by the way. 

Edited by Maurice

Yes that's a lap joint, joining both fuselage halves. This is just an opinion based on pictures of the real aircraft in service, that lap joint was not visible so for modelling purposes should not be represented. 

In this picture, the paint is gone and the joint can be seen, but with paint, and probably with aerodynamic sealant, of common use in aircraft construction, should not be represented. 

But, this is my opinion, not necessarily a general rule.

Cheers. Lovely subject by the way. 

Maurice - Thanks for the info!!!!! Life saver I have been sat here for the last half hour staring at it. Tried to stick rulers, bits of lecky tape etc. as guides. Just trying to work out how with my banana fingers how the hell to scribe these lines - clean - accurate and above all else straight!!!!!!  :frantic:  on such a tight curve!

This might be the reason I can't seem to see anything on pictures. But it is defiantly going to make the job easier - so I'm happy to take the advice.

Cheers Taff :D 

Glad to be of help, Taff.

Even in the picture here above, if my eyes don't betray me, I can't see the joint right aft the rear part of the canopy. It seems there is some paint yet.

Cheers :piliot:​  

Cheers Maurice - I had a good look in Photoshop and yep just behind the canopy it looks like the paint goes straight over the top - So cool I have filled and smoothed. I'll let it dry for a bit before I see if it needs any more work.

Ta - Taff :D

• 6 months later...

Hi folks I have been slowly plodding along with this, as an when the mood takes me!

So thanks to 109 for the info on the line top and bottom of the Fus so after some careful filling and smoothing - I am now going to add them back in - not to much trouble, laid a bit of lecky tape to give me an edge being careful doing a light scribe as this is over a glued joint.

017-ME109e3_zpsgnkksmhq.jpg

018-ME109e3_zpscjzugdxt.jpg

A quick spray of primer to check - that'll do me!

019-ME109e3_zps0l6g76tq.jpg

020-ME109e3_zpshpduaex1.jpg

Next up I moved on to the wings……… seem to have the shots of the wheel wells work and them going in to the wings missing???? :shrug:

So I have done these and used some white glue covered tissue to give a texture to the wheel area the rest is OOB.

The wing radiators got a bit of a slice and dice to get the brass etch to fit (meant for the Has version) these where taller and a snatch wider than the Eduard ones so a bit of FAF and snipping to get them to fit.

021-ME109e3_zpsohb9xodi.jpg

The back needed a bit more as there was a gap between the top and bottom of the wing. I used some plastic card finished of with some Mr Surface 500. Then once again the etch needed the height trimmed to fit the Eduard kit. After this sets up Ill just add a bit of oil paint smears to weather.

025-ME109e3_zpsxarnrc8s.jpg

Okay back to the nose - which was starting to become a bit of a saga!!!! :hmmm: :fight:

AND If ever I do another one of these I will be doing it in a completely different order.

So lets begin - it all started well with lots of test fits, as I had read that this area can be a PIA!

This led to me having to hack and slash the engine area to get it to sit down. Plus adding some bits of plastic card to try and increase the areas for the glue to grip on to.

026-ME109e3_zpsdet2agnz.jpg

So lesson one for next time

Just cut the front off the engine to show in the front two air intakes and use just the two exhaust mounts - also a note, I would drop the nose cooler rad in from the top next time so you can get a easier and neater finish in that area.

Okay now thinking a bit of grunt and hold should get the nose to fit I proceed with the painting of it.

Pink and pre-shade

022-ME109e3_zpsvnzofd7d.jpg

couple of coats of XtraColor 04 Gelb (This stuff takes an age to dry)

023-ME109e3_zpsinj3arnm.jpg

Okay back with part 2 in a mo

Taff :D