The Seventh Stormbird

Chris Wimmer

3Lt3H4o.jpg

Hi Everybody on LSP!

This is my rendition of Me-262 prototype No 7, serial number 130002. Awaiting completion for more than five years, I recovered it some weeks ago since I felt a bit bored with my old Revell Mosquito, which I had to put aside for a while now.

I haven't used any aftermarket stuff, but added a lot of detail instead, especially to the main gear bay and the turbojet engines. As I wanted to open up the nose section as much as possible, I custom-molded a pair of lead-weights to fill the hollow spaces below the gun bay. In addition I have shortened the metal main wheel struts by three millimeters (or was it five?  :hmmm:).

Code letters are self printed, the octane triangles are 1/72, because the kit's decals are way too large. Finally I've made both canopy and gunbay doors moveable by creating simple 0.6mm injection needle hinges.

Sorry, there's no WIP, but I will add a couple of building-pics at the end. Hope you like it! :)

pIFOUv7.jpg

Port side view, engine cover removed. Franz, the mechanic, kindly gives us opportunity for a closer look :rolleyes:

jt5yE8A.jpg

Wow Franz, you're the greatest!

bKgy8DB.jpg

The port jumo 004 engine

HKikDZm.jpg

Trumpeter has detailed the front section so nicely that I couldn't resist to open it up. The top of the gun bay front spar didn't look very good so I tried to re-paint it during the photo shooting. Now it looks worse than before... :whistle:

eIoKZQy.jpg

615iw3M.jpg

1bdkMN3.jpg

The starboard jumo lacks the hydraulic oil pump, what was common on the Me 262.

Xe37n5V.jpg

2qVzFJv.jpg

Edited by Chris Wimmer
replaced Photobucket pictures

I started with the cockpit five years ago and built it OOB, with exception of the armoured windshield. It's a scratchbuilt early type, extending into the cockpit.

Q4XzPn9.jpg

Fuel tanks as seen at the munich museum

f1egKqo.jpg

Lead weights both on port and starboard

YGQK3Y4.jpg

110306 still in progress. I consider starting a WIP at this point?

sVGs7oT.jpg

A9qLYJ7.jpg

SZorYte.jpg

fmiAqwz.jpg

kL7nSSB.jpg

PattOOD.jpg

LSpX432.jpg

Thanks for stopping by!

Chris :)

Edited by Chris Wimmer
replaced Photobucket pictures

Wow, Chris, I really like it. The paint and weathering is great, the engine detail is jaw-dropping, and the figures are really realistic. I love it.

Does this by any chance mean you'll be back at the mosquito soon? :P

Cheers

Jim

Hey Jim, you're absolutely right! All I'm doing now is waiting for some aftermarket goodies. Unfortunately the wheel set came out a little bit too late, but I got myself those very nice Mosquito exhaust stacks! As I said, it's too late for the wheels, but props would be fine. Hmm, somehow I find that both the Tamiya as well as the HK props don't look very realistic, what do you think, hmmm? :whistle:

Thanks for the kind words :)

Chris

IMG_1366_zps0yuelquy.jpg

Edited by Chris Wimmer