71 replies to this topic

#1 Wrlss911Pro

Wrlss911Pro

LSP Junkie

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 01:48 AM

I have a young son, so my build time is limited to weekend nap time. I was really excited when Academy released the Knighthawk in 1/35 scale. I picked up the kit along with Eduard PE sets and the Cobra Company update kit. This will be my first attempt at this level of detail and weathering. I am blown away at the skills I have seen on this forum, and I am shamelessly using techniques I see here. So a huge thank you to everyone right off the bat.

As soon as I figure out the process, I will post photos of what I have so far.

Thanks again everyone!

Edited by Wrlss911Pro, 19 July 2015 - 01:54 PM.

• Out2gtcha, MARU5137 and ClumsyDude like this

#2 LSP_Typhoonattack

LSP_Typhoonattack

• LSP Moderator
  • 26,809 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 03:08 AM

:post1:

Kevin

I was going to procrastinate tonight, but decided to wait.

In Progress:

#3 ClumsyDude

ClumsyDude

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,057 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 03:27 AM

Love it, I know what you mean about nap time modelling ... I started my F-14 (over on non-LSP works) when my second daughter was born, and did lots of midnight modelling when I couldn't get back to sleep after feeding her. I'll be watching with interest! :popcorn:

Cheers
Jim

#4 BloorwestSiR

BloorwestSiR

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,627 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 04:07 AM

Been there. Mostly after my first son was born, the only "bench" time I got was sneaking out into the hall of our condo and working on a kit with my lap as a workbench and just a bottle of cement, a file or two and some sprue cutters as my only tools.

Nowadays, I have more time to build but only after they're asleep (they're 4 and 2 now).

Looking forward to your build. I always liked the 60 but with their rotorspan, I wouldn't know where to put it when it was done.

Carl

#5 Wrlss911Pro

Wrlss911Pro

LSP Junkie

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 18 July 2015 - 09:31 PM

Here are some pictures of what I have so far...

The pilot seats.
C97BDE41-A2E3-4F53-ADF2-85102865740A_zps
6FCF4A6E-AA25-4A11-8939-DC1183111540_zps
Painted%20deck%201_zps95s7uuaw.jpg
Use of the Eduard brass a wash and pastel weathering
Painted%20seat%201_zpsvvm60ood.jpg
Painted%20tank_zpsq483ko6v.jpg
The Aux fuel tank from Cobra Company. I have cleaned this up since.

Edited by Wrlss911Pro, 10 December 2015 - 05:21 AM.

• harvey, MARU5137, ClumsyDude and 2 others like this

#6 ClumsyDude

ClumsyDude

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,057 posts

Posted 18 July 2015 - 11:37 PM

Awesome man ... keep up the nap time work! They never sleep for long enough ... :(

Jim

Edited by ClumsyDude, 18 July 2015 - 11:37 PM.

• Wrlss911Pro likes this

#7 Azgaron

Azgaron

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 11:16 AM

Very nice work so far! Looks great!

Håkan

#8 shark64

shark64

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,834 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 10:11 PM

Great start on your S.
Nice to see this helo is getting some love on several sites. Will be watching your build. A great start inded.
Oliver

#9 Wrlss911Pro

Wrlss911Pro

LSP Junkie

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 12:50 AM

Great start on your S.
Nice to see this helo is getting some love on several sites. Will be watching your build. A great start inded.
Oliver

Thanks Oliver! I am shamelessly, proudly even, stealing some of your techniques and ideas. I could really use some advice on mounting the curved walls at the gunners station. I saw your earlier post on another thread about using clips to install the walls ahead of the deck or overhead. Any tips and advice you would be gracious enough to share would be greatly appreciated!

Paul

#10 Wrlss911Pro

Wrlss911Pro

LSP Junkie

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 12:07 PM

Hi All,

Thanks for the all the great feedback! Here is the cleaned up AUX fuel tank.  It is a Cobra Company piece.  I removed the molded in fuel hoses and replaced them with beading tubing I found at Hobby Lobby. To keep them stiff and in the correct position, I fed bare copper telephone wire inside them. The fittings are from CMK Model Masters. 

FF9ACAED-939C-4E04-ACA7-B2FC6040454D_zps

For the overhead, I am once again using the excellent eduard PE set.  Beautiful brass, but really challenging to apply correctly as it is a single piece of metal.  no matter what CA I used, something that size bonds pretty much immediately to plastic. Using Tamiya Extra Thin did not work at all. It just fell off. At any rate.  I am scratchbuilding a Fast Rope assembly.  Reference pictures I have seen show telescoping square tubing. I am still working out how to make the hooks.

Thanks again,

Paul

73E87212-EBC7-4002-9FAA-EDBCBF19EF41_zps

• harvey, MARU5137, Zero77 and 1 other like this

#11 shark64

shark64

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,834 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 06:43 PM

Thanks Oliver! I am shamelessly, proudly even, stealing some of your techniques and ideas. I could really use some advice on mounting the curved walls at the gunners station. I saw your earlier post on another thread about using clips to install the walls ahead of the deck or overhead. Any tips and advice you would be gracious enough to share would be greatly appreciated!

Paul

Fit your ceiling and floor pieces inside the helo and insert both walls and dryfit the walls . Once walls in place and everything fits tight and snuck secure your walls with clips then glue in place. Be careful so you dont glue the floor and ceiling my mistake to the fuselage...only glue the walls to fuselage..
Good luck and don't hesitate to ask if you need any help

Oliver

#12 MARU5137

MARU5137

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,612 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 09:03 PM

Paul,

:post1:  :punk: :punk:

Impressive start to your  MH-60S.

I don't have any kids but I think you are doing quite  well in between the napping.

good luck ..Nice work on your seat and the Office looks busy .. :thumbsup: :yahoo:

• Wrlss911Pro likes this

Res Non Verba .

La calma è la virtù dei forti !

Potius Mori quam foedari.

#13 Wrlss911Pro

Wrlss911Pro

LSP Junkie

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 02:35 AM

Paul,

:post1:  :punk: :punk:

Impressive start to your  MH-60S.

I don't have any kids but I think you are doing quite  well in between the napping.

good luck ..Nice work on your seat and the Office looks busy .. :thumbsup: :yahoo:

Thanks. The Eduard PE set is huge help. The cockpit is so different from the DAP due to the avionics. I used micro crystal clear on the screens. I started on the aviator yesterday. The ultimate plan is a land based diorama with one aviator in the left seat and another about to board. Along with a SEAL team. I tried to weather the crew deck to replicate smudges from guys entering and exiting the helo.
  • MARU5137 likes this

#14 Wrlss911Pro

Wrlss911Pro

LSP Junkie

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 02:38 AM

Fit your ceiling and floor pieces inside the helo and insert both walls and dryfit the walls . Once walls in place and everything fits tight and snuck secure your walls with clips then glue in place. Be careful so you dont glue the floor and ceiling my mistake to the fuselage...only glue the walls to fuselage..
Good luck and don't hesitate to ask if you need any help
Oliver

Thanks Oliver. I will try that. What about the Aux fuel tank? Glue that to the deck?

#15 MARU5137

MARU5137

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,612 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 06:56 PM

Just dropped by to see if you had posted updates.

:thumbsup:

Res Non Verba .

La calma è la virtù dei forti !

Potius Mori quam foedari.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users