Tamiya Mustang.. back to the bench.

williamj

Woke up this morning and it was 7C outside,Sandhill Cranes and Canada Geese been flying over the house heading south.
Must be that time of year again...got to build a couple of kits this winter so lets get at one thats been waiting too long.
The Tamiya Mustang has to be one of the most brilliant kits out there,and lets not compare it to another 32nd Stang thats out there cause it wont go anywhere but in the toilet,and this isn't the place for that. Picked up a lot of aftermarket over the last year or so to just put a little frosting on it. Although it builds up quite sweetly just as it is.
Long time back we picked up the Airfix 1/24 "Super Kit".. well it was then OK? lol. What really impressed me was the box art,always been a sucker for that. Col.Mason's steed..Blue nose,yellow rudder.... Wonderful!! So off we go.

P51_Mustang_Wallpaper_k0vig.jpg
DSCF5720_zpsef5cbb93.jpg
DSCF5729_zps3655ae45.jpg
DSCF5736_zpsfb233b2d.jpg

Took the Airfix 1/24 decals that we would need and dropped them into Corel draw,reduced to 32nd 75%.. and laser printed the black on clear decal film,then "This Is It" was reversed and printed on white decal film...what's great about them is there are no curves,just straight cuts.
     P.S.   going to build it "Buttoned Up" ... We'll let  Wolf Buddee  dazzle us with his Merlin in his build.the detail work he comes up with is incomparable.  :)

Edited by williamj

:popcorn:  but one question thought: are you sure to have enough AM stuff for this build ?

:)  ;)

LOL...Why not? Some of what you see is made by folks that are here on LSP all the time.gotta support them right? even if a couple of em are suspect. :hmmm:

Edited by williamj

I recomend to make a mask for the white letters..they are big enough.

Thanks,but it really won't be necessary..to be cut out and placed(they are on a white decal sheet),then sealed under aqua clear,a whole lot easier than paint,except for smaller ones,have the HGW stencil sheet as well..no carrier film. 

Cheers.

Edited by williamj

Will you have to cut out the "This Is It" decals, one-by-one?

Yup..they're on white decal film with a sealer coat..to mask then spray with white paint is the long road. just use a thin straight metal guide,a mag lamp,and new blades.easy peasy.

no curves to worry bout and they are large enough to handle.  Cheers.

Edited by williamj

Guest Peterpools

William

Surely is going to be a wonderful thread to follow and enjoy. So far, I've build three of the Tamiya Mustangs and they all were a joy. I went the AM route with Barracuda, Eduard and Brassin sets and each enhanced the 'Stang to a certain degree. Just be careful following the instruction color call outs, as there are a number of inaccuracies that need to be avoided.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

William

Surely is going to be a wonderful thread to follow and enjoy. So far, I've build three of the Tamiya Mustangs and they all were a joy. I went the AM route with Barracuda, Eduard and Brassin sets and each enhanced the 'Stang to a certain degree. Just be careful following the instruction color call outs, as there are a number of inaccuracies that need to be avoided.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thanks Peter....ifin you spot any along the way shout out. I'd appreciate it.