Revell 1/32 BF-109G-10 Erla

Uncarina

I've been in a bit of a modelling slump: assembling and cleaning 22 Mk-82 bombs for my A-6A Intruder build can only get me so much entertainment, and the F-117 bomb bay has me temporarily swallowed up, so I decided to step back and build a basic build. The Revell Erla 109 is inexpensive, simple to build, nicely detailed, and just the thing to get me back into those more complex builds.

IMG_0474_zps027f600b.jpg

I will be building this mostly out of the box, with BarracudaCast props, spinner, intake and exhaust set, and EagleCals decals. Just got the kit last night, and time to get started!

First thing, fix the box: cut the sides and one end of the top panel, then tape the side panels, and voila! A top opening box.

IMG_0478_zpsd627f8e3.jpg

Assembly starts with the cockpit, and the parts fit well and have nice detail. The pedals are okay, but be careful trimming the flash around the outline. The fuel line is clear, a nice feature, but the section of line remaining clear has a sprue attachment point, suboptimal as I like to say.

IMG_0476_zpsa3874293.jpg

IMG_0477_zps64f0d0b5.jpg

So here's where I'm at after a couple of hours: Testors Acryl RLM-22 (Airbrushes nicely, with a slight gloss. I just add a drop of dish soap to distilled water to thin). A brush coat of Future, then a dark sienna/black oil wash.

IMG_0482_zps24c590b6.jpg

IMG_0480_zpsfc40e8b3.jpg

Painting highlights and seeing what I can do with the molded seatbelts comes next!

Cheers,  Tom

Nice start, Tom. Just started one myself. Everyone says it's a simple build, but I just chucked a G-6 in trash. Totally unenjoyable and way too much like real work. Haven't thrown a model away in mid-build in a long time. Maybe I have been spoiled by how nice the Hasegawa 109's go together. Why I started a G-10 I have no idea. Anyhow, I am sure yours will be nice.

Jay

Jay,

Thanks for checking in. I do like those Hasegawa 109's. I built two back to back, the only time so far for me. I certainly hope your current build is more fun! From what I've read, having a full-length fuselage makes this one a little more straightfoward than the G-6. Is there anything you suggest I look out for?

Cheers, Tom

Mainly for me, it was all the seams that had to be dealt with, the general engineering of how it goes together, and a bit of the inaccuracies. I didn't even salvage the Eduard exhausts or the HGW seatbelts. That's how annoyed I was. That was over a month ago and I am just getting back to the workbench. This is supposed to be fun, and that wasn't.

Jay

An update: painted highlights, applied decals for the instruments from an MDC Luftwaffe decal sheet, added buckles from an Aires set:

IMG_0489_zps9d673b36.jpg

I wanted to see how well I could get the molded seatbelts to look, since I didn't want to remove them unless I felt compelled to do so, and I'm pleased with the results; I just need to touch up the buckles.

IMG_0487_zps9dd4f0d6.jpg

I have to say I'm having a lot of fun with this!

Cheers,  Tom

Some progress:

IMG_0500_zps988074ce.jpg

IMG_0501_zps231c60b5.jpg

IMG_0502_zps4c9ffa32.jpg

Overall fit so far has been pretty good. I've only fitted the engine cover until the BarracudaCast exhausts come in. One anomaly that no one else has mentioned is that I found a large gap between the oil cooler fairing upper plate (part 35) at the forward junction with the fuselage. I had to fill in this space. Also, the cooler filters (part 66) had to be reduced in height around a millimeter so that the fairing would fit to the fuselage.

IMG_0506_zps99214752.jpg

IMG_0504_zps9a41f632.jpg

Cheers, Tom

Looking good, Tom! You'll be happy with the Barracuda parts, especially the oil coller, because the fit is amazing!

I was surprised to see that part 35 was so short. I've never had that on my builds. I know that the kit has two similar looking parts; 35 and 36. One is too short, so I used the other one, which fits quite good actually and I didn't have to alter the filter parts either. 

I look forward to your next post and have fun !

Nic

Looking good, Tom! You'll be happy with the Barracuda parts, especially the oil coller, because the fit is amazing!

I was surprised to see that part 35 was so short. I've never had that on my builds. I know that the kit has two similar looking parts; 35 and 36. One is too short, so I used the other one, which fits quite good actually and I didn't have to alter the filter parts either. 

I look forward to your next post and have fun !

Nic

Nic,

I knew I should have checked with you first! I will check but I bet I picked the wrong one.

Cheers, Tom

Tom....WOW

This looks real great, i like that weathering of your cockpit, like that style of dirt......

looking forward to see more of this progress on this one...

So keep em coming.

/Mal

Mal,

Thanks very much, and thanks for checking in! Added a dark oil wash on top of a gloss coat, then drybrushed with a gray blended from black and white oil paints. It's my favorite part of building these cockpits.

Cheers, Tom

Great update!

I know all about an easier more basic "sanity check" kind of build to get the juices flowing..................sometimes it just has to be done to get to the more complex projects. Looks like you moving fast on this one!

Progress and/or completion always motivates me!

Mal,

Thanks very much, and thanks for checking in! Added a dark oil wash on top of a gloss coat, then drybrushed with a gray blended from black and white oil paints. It's my favorite part of building these cockpits.

Cheers, Tom

Sound similar....

Yep The oils are the key for us then :D , drybrushing oils is indeed very very effective, i use them more and more drybrushing and effects, off course oilwashes with different tones....

Im very exited, wich indevid are you going for?.....

/Mal

Edited by Mal_Belford