F-8E Crusader VMF(AW)-312: Done 2014.11.1 Summary Posted

Kai, That is some mighty fine work going on there!

Do you think Aries has a kit in their hands when they make their AM sets, or do they "WING-IT"?

Seems to me everyone using their stuff has to grind-off here, shim there to get it to fit.

You mentioned cut away on the right side of you fuselage, I thought the same thing, and was wondering how enough air got back to the

engine for it to run.   Talk about "Over the river and through the Woods".

watch'in you :wicked:

jack

Looks Great Kai!  The F-100 stuff From Aires fits better but  there is still gaps and filling that has to be done. All of your work looks fantastic, great job and I'm glad to see your new progress!

keep up the great work!

Paul 

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks much for the kind words and for stopping by!   As before, I've been continuing work on this and have some updates.

IMG_6154_500_zps0e6cd9ea.jpg

Once the nose work was complete, I found that there was a gap between the windshield piece and the nose

IMG_6156_500_zpse32c275e.jpg

The gap was shimmed with .030 sheet styrene 

IMG_6159_500_zps3427427d.jpg

Carved to shape

IMG_6165_500_zps043bf662.jpg

In the same way that the nose bulge was built up, the last bits were added to the windshield piece

IMG_6180_500_zpscb7e000d.jpg

The instrument panel and dash were glued into place

IMG_6183_500_zpsf9927a60.jpg

... and here, the windshield has been glued into place and the bulge sanded to its now complete shape.

I'll do a second post with some more...

Edited by EmperorKai

Here are some pics from some of the miscellaneous work that was done

IMG_5803_500_zps4182c640.jpg

I was able to get ahold of a set of Contact Resin F-8 wheels which not only add some missing detail, but also address some of the shortcomings of the kit wheels.  Many thanks to Kagemusha for his help in making this happen.

IMG_5806_500_zpsb42eb2d8.jpg

In addition to addressing the tire shape and dimension issues, the new parts also have the treadlines.

IMG_6264_500_zps51d20d4b.jpg

Along with the tires, I was also able to get a set of the improved cooling intakes- here, the kit parts versus the resin replacements

IMG_5851_500_zpscda2d538.jpg

Started painting some of the peripheral assemblies- here, the Zuni LAU33/35 launchers, which were primed with Gunze Gray 1500, washed and then base coated with a custom USN White mix.

IMG_5648_500_zpsbe2fc99b.jpg

Same treatment here with the tripe ejector racks...

IMG_5849_500_zpsd088bc07.jpg

...and here with the stabilizers.  

IMG_6197_500_zps8b4d477f.jpg

Masking in and around all the bays took about 2 days and was more tedious than usual

IMG_6213_500_zps8d1ff275.jpg

All ready to go!  The panels lines were washed and the fuselage is now ready for final painting and finishing

Thanks for looking!

Kai