CF-104

LSP_Ron

Thanks

I will be doing S/N 104732 Natural metal single-seater – 417 Cold Lake Squadron using the Leading Edge decal set that I reviewed a few weeks back

I am attempting the Alcad finish you've managed to do on your last two Mustangs Peter.  Then we will all see just how good or bad these soft panel lines on the kit look in a polished NMF

Ron

Any thoughts on what the other CF-104 squadrons looked like?  I'd like to make mine one of the QRA units from the same time period based in Germany.  My understanding is that 417 was an operational training unit, yes?

Will watch this with interest!

Tim W.

Am I the only not seeing any photos on this ?

Dont worry Oliver...........I wasnt the only one to be got at first.......Im thinking its a bit of an "Homage" to how hard it actually snows in Canada...............see visibility = 0  :lol:

You got it Brian!

I managed to get some building done. This is admittedly a simple kit. The cockpit is only a few parts, Harold it needs you!!!!

P2190028_zps62a2b17a.jpg

I really dislike these removable tail cones that expose the engine. I would be nice if the engine was separate and could be displayed on a stand but the fuse be left in one piece with the option of cutting it if you want to remove the tail cone.  I glued each end onto each fuse have before joining halves.  Past experience with these separate tail pieces in other kits have shown this usually gives a better joint. Even then this will require filling.

P2170026_zpsecc24a98.jpg

P2190030_zps59079b74.jpg

The fit of the wing tanks and wings is almost perfect. It's almost like the tooling for these compared to the tooling for the fuse was done by two different companies?

P2170025_zpsdf670ad3.jpg

One thing I find interesting is that it's been generally assumed the kit supplied wheels are not correct for a CF-104. I disagree, in comparing them to the photos on ARC walk around of a Canadiar build CF-104, the wheels are identical to the kit supplied examples, all 9 spokes and all? 

I agree about the  fuselage an tail.

How complicated could a 104 get?

My concern is VALUE .................Cause a 104 ain't that complicated 

And I have a Hgwa and a Reveille  

I'm having a hard time seeing the cost when I look at those...........unless there is a second kit in the box?

Watching You

Jack

I agree about the  fuselage an tail.

How complicated could a 104 get?

My concern is VALUE .................Cause a 104 ain't that complicated 

And I have a Hgwa and a Reveille  

I'm having a hard time seeing the cost when I look at those...........unless there is a second kit in the box?

Watching You

Jack

I'll address that when I am done the build, that seems to be the common issue with this kit.

Hi, Ron. I'm sure looking forward to this CF-104 build.

Just wondering if you've heard about LE decals breaking apart on application? It did happen to me on a small scale build. The suggestion given me was to make a habit of coating them with a liquid decal solution prior to use.

I've used a lot of LE decals over the years without issue. My first opinion would be age of the decals. They only last about 3-4 years before becoming fragile.

Ron

Looking forward to watching this one Ron!  It's to bad there wasn't a main stream 32nd Kit of the VooDoo to go with it. I loved both  the F101 and F104 when I was a kid..so much power.. so "capable looking"  and LOUD!  <_<

All the best to you and your build.

Paul