Hobby Boss P-61B out

Dave Williams

Guest Peterpools

I sent Gordon at Sprue brothers and email this morning regarding pricing and received the following reply:

We sell HobbyBoss for 20% off the US MSRP whatever that is. I have not seen anything official from the importer on an MSRP yet, though someone mention in passing they thought it the US MSRP was going to be $200. That is all we know at this time.

Just want to thank Gordon for the quick response with some very good news.

Gordon always shoots straight.....great prices & the best service....period.

Now.....week from tomorrow is the end of February....fingers crossed that a hard release date of even word that they're inbound will be soon.

Gordon & all the other folks up there are prepping for some severe winter weather....:(

Cheers,

Jim

I pre-ordered kit today at Brookhurst Hobbies In Garden Grove CA. $197 including 8.75% sales tax. No shipping cost because I go there at least once a week.

I also got $39 double rewards points for my next purchase. Kit should be in store by 15 March.

(Scale Hobbyist Told me this today)
As long as Hobbyboss sticks with their current projected MSRP of $200 our price will remain in the $125-$130 range. If they raise it then our price will rise as well. The last we heard from Hobbyboss's US importer was the end of March, but we'll have the kit 2-3 days after they arrive in the US whenever it is.

Thank you for contacting us.

Scale Hobbyist Support
Cheers Vandy

Personally - even though it is marketed as a P-61B - I would shorten the fuselge back to the nose bay (the scale 8"extension) and complete the model as a P-61A. That way, the kit radome and main leg doors would be correct for an early version of this aircraft.

Found this interesting photo which illustrates how much to remove http://www.flickr.com/photos/ntizumi/6326094111/

Found this interesting photo which illustrates how much to remove http://www.flickr.com/photos/ntizumi/6326094111/

Very useful Andy, although for that particular (1/48) kit, unless you are representing an early production P-61A with either of the clear or solid noses, the curved 'L' shaped plexiglas part of the radome moulded line needs to be filled and sanded to remove it (same for the P-61B nose, but as pointed out, it is a little too asymmetrical). The HB 1/32 P-61B kit will most likely require the same considerations?

Cheers

Derek

What's the info about the covers (or whatever they're called) over the prop reduction gearcases of the R-2800's on the P-61? I ask because they're noticeably absent on the HB kit. Were these installed on all P-61's or just the A models? Inquiring minds wanna know :hmmm: I also read that the nose art for "Lady in the Dark" is incorrect in the kit (as is the serial number?). She should be wearing blue clothing and not red. Only her shoes were red. We're gonna need Harold to fix the props on this one too.....HHAAARRRROOOLLLLDDD! Do you have your prop files sharpened up?

Edited by TimC

Hey Derek......is there a possibility of a F-15a Reporter conversion? The kit is cut along the back about where the real bird was cut. New clear parts, some high actiivty props, a nose, some cameras, and a couple large intakes to go under the cowls .....F-15a.... :whistle:

Rob

Certainly Rob - If I can get hold of a kit or two! ;)

Derek

What's the info about the covers (or whatever they're called) over the prop reduction gearcases of the R-2800's on the P-61? I ask because they're noticeably absent on the HB kit. Were these installed on all P-61's or just the A models? Inquiring minds wanna know :hmmm: I also read that the nose art for "Lady in the Dark" is incorrect in the kit (as is the serial number?). She should be wearing blue clothing and not red. Only her shoes were red. We're gonna need Harold to fix the props on this one too.....HHAAARRRROOOLLLLDDD! Do you have your prop files sharpened up?

Hi Tim (and Dave Williams), From what I can see, it appears that the P-61's had a fixed circular fairing directly behind the spinner. This fairing looks like it was the same diameter as that of the base plate of the spinner, and effectively continued the spinner shape right up to the engine reduction gearbox case (which it most likely would have been attached to as a multi-part fairing). The shape of the engine reduction gearbox casing is the standard rounded or 'bullet' shaped case, but cannot be seen behind the aforementioned fairing.

The later P-61C had the more powerful R2800 twin wasp engine as used in the P-47 Thunderbolt, and this engine had the more flat faced gearbox case with many bolts around it; however, this also would not normally be seen as the P-61C has a larger diameter spinner and aft fairing that also covers this area up (it leaves a noticeably smaller gap between the engine nacelle and spinner when viewed from head-on).

Engine11_zpsb3425e29.jpg

engine4_zpsd2e4bb2d.jpg

engine1_zps48ef5489.jpg

engine7_zps94380801.jpg

engine5_zps4a6da176.jpg

Edited by Derek B