Big Beautiful Doll: Tamiya P-51D Mustang

Guest Peterpools

Guest Peterpools

Starting over wasn't easy but I decided to bite the bullet and would start over. Well, that time has come: the new kit and a host of After Market accessories at hand it was time to advance the troops, as the cannons had fired.. Tomorrow I'll hope to post my first build update and tonight few photos of the build stash.

PCW_2870.jpg

PCW_2874.jpg

PCW_2941.jpg

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Thanks guys

Kev

The prop is from Grey Matter Figures but it may be the wrong one for this build.

Harv

I know I went WAY overboard., Sure hope it doesn't lead me off the path.

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

Guest Ta152H1

Good Lord, Peter.....you definitely wanna go to town with your build :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: !Can't wait to see it started!!! :popcorn:

Cheers

Lou

Thanks guys

Kev

The prop is from Grey Matter Figures but it may be the wrong one for this build.

Harv

I know I went WAY overboard., Sure hope it doesn't lead me off the path.

Peter

For me its about normal! LOL...........Harv

Guest Peterpools

Jim

I've started and will be posting the first update today. Hopefully I won't disappoint anyone but I'm sure, I bought way more AM parts then I need or can actually use.

Lou

Today is the day for posting my start. Only hope I can keep up with you in the quality of work and detail

Harv

Got ya Buddy.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Mark

Just wasn't going where I wanted and lost interest in it. After building a few 48th scale models, I decided to give it a go again and do a better job. I just have to learn to stick to my game plan and stick to the course.

Speaking of P-51's, what happened on your end? I followed your build with pure amazement and still have it bookmarked.

Peter

'Speaking of P-51's, what happened on your end? I followed your build with pure amazement and still have it bookmarked.'

It felt too much like work so I thought I'd shake it out with a Messerschmitt. I should have done the SEAC Jug. Right now it's slow going making an open tropical filter and reworking the IP. Thanks for asking.

Sincerely,

Mark

Guest Peterpools

OK - Here we go. I started the build with the coolant tank and carefully removed the molded on straps and replaced them with the multiple part assembly from the Eduard Engine set. I spent most of the time on my hands and knees trying to find the parts, which I seemed to drop incessantly. The firewall was detailed a bit more with the removal of the cowling attachment blocks and replaced with new ones made from evergreen strip styrene. I would have used the Eduard supplied ones, but after the first two were kidnapped by the carpet monster, making my own was easier. Lots of bits and pieces were added to add a bit more character to the firewall. For the most part, this assembly is done except for some detail and re-do painting. Both the firewall and coolant assemblies are Green Zinc Chromate. The front office is basically Interior Green, whose mix is 10 parts green zinc chromate plus one part interior black. During the course of the war, this varied and both the factories and field applied paint was mainly with whatever was on hand.

PCW_2946.jpg

PCW_2943.jpg

Next item to be worked on was the seat. Right now, it's just tacked together, as RB WWII seatbelt and harness set needs to be added, the springs were made from lead wire, need to be cleaned up and painted. Lou, thanks for the idea and help with the seat cushion.

PCW_2947.jpg

The radio and fuel tank behind the seat is now underway. All the electrical lines need to be painted weathered black, the board under the rack is wood and needs to be done and additional wiring from the battery needs to be added.

PCW_2952.jpg

The Big Merlin was also started and has a ways to go. Some linkage was added from the Eduard engine set, along with other PE pieces. The spark plug leads and manifolds need to be built and added as well. I decided not to try add everything to the Merlin which would take forever and is above my capabilities anyway.

PCW_2955.jpg

The beginnings of the front office. All three of Barracudas cockpit sets will be used, along with their IP. I've just started adding the parts to see how things will look and to all ake sure the interior of the front office will fit. I've followed the instructions on Roy's website to make sure things should hopefully fit.

PCW_2959.jpg

I know it doesn't look like much but it's a slow go and I'm following my Rules of Engagement

Keep it enjoyable

Follow the rules of Enhancing

Peter

It is lookin good so far buddy! Those Greymatter prop blades are the aeroproducts version that were used in the P-51K if you are inclining that direction.

What is this wooden board that you say is under the radio rack? The rack was metal and suspended over the fuel cell. There is a nice breakdown on the P-51sig.

J