DeHavilland CHC II Beaver N888BH

Out2gtcha

Now the the "guessing game" (you guys are just to astute at this kind of thing :rolleyes: ) is over I can "officially" kick off this build. I got the actual kit in today, so I can put my stereotypical 1st post WIP stuff in here. Plus since the impetus of this idea, Ive come to some conclusions.

So here we go..................

This is a highly modern Mk II beaver, outfitted with the latest avionics/glass cockpit, as well as upgraded interior, and the Mk II 3 bladed prop. Other mods to the 1/24th kit will be wing fences, elevator fins, float mods, exhaust mods, antenna, prop, spinner, pitot tube (s) and last but certainly not least, a custom set of paint masks & decals from Ian @ Ad Astra.

This particular airframe is owned by Ron Carleson and flies amphib. floats or tundra tire configurations, spending much of his time exploring areas from southern Canada to far above the arctic circle. In 2003 Ron traveled to King William Island, Nunavut to research and study, and has since been focused on searching for relics of the doomed Franklin Expedition that departed England in 1845 and disappeared in this region.

You can find his blog, and pics of N888BH HERE.

After careful deliberation, and some advice from a friend, I have decided NOT to do the interior on this, as its going to be a simplified quickie type build and I will not be dong the interior. Windows will be dark gloss paint. This one will be about the exterior look, and a mods, along with a cool paint job.

Ill likely be using automotive paint, or the line of MM metallic paints the I think are normally for model cars and or R/C cars.

This is a build I intend to hang from my model room ceiling, to keep Avenger company. :lol:

The kit itself I purchased through Dehavilland Dreams web site, and it is the same molds the Cedar Creek uses. The kit is actually fairly accurate, and represents raised panel lines in places including the floats. In keeping with the GB theme, I wont be using any archer rivets or the like, I will likely just re-rivet with "Rosie" or maybe Radu, or a combo of the two.

Ill also be tapping the spares drawer for things like the prop and spinner, which will likely be a gas tank tip or the like.

Now on to business. Here are some pics of N888BH:

110_N888BH_Anthony_T_Jarvis_Cambrid-2.jpg

FLIR2520plane.jpg

608995.jpg

110_N888BH_Anthony_T_Jarvis_Cambrid-1.jpg

110_N888BH_Left_18092009_565.jpg

110_N888BH_18092009_565_banner.jpg

Here is what you get in this ultra simple 26 piece snap together kit:

DSC00430.jpg

DSC00433.jpg

and a set of simple instructions with some generic Alaska decals -

DSC00434.jpg

Construction will begin forthwith gents!

Ive taken the libery of deleting all of the "guessing" posts.

Thanks for lookin in on my guys and lets get this thing going!

Cheers,

Brian

Edited by Out2gtcha

Cool! This looks very promising! You going to detail this one up? And contact Ian to do the masks for you?

Matt :party0023:

Thanks Matt. Im going to detail up the exterior. The interior is non-existent, and will continue to be on mine. I think Im going to blank the windows out with an appropriate shade of blue me thinks. It will save me a ton of time not having to scratch up an interior, and i can concentrate on the exterior scratchbuilding.

Ill be using parts from the sparse bin, as well as sheet plastic and tubing for the various modifications it will take to represent the airframe im intending.

However, im not going to go crazy detailing. This one will be hanging from the ceiling in my work shop, so it will be more about the cool little additions, as well as a nice eye catching paint job.

Edited by Out2gtcha

Thanks Matt. Im going to detail up the exterior. The interior is non-existent, and will continue to be on mine. I think Im going to blank the windows out with an appropriate shade of blue me thinks. It will save me a ton of time not having to scratch up an interior, and i can concentrate on the exterior scratchbuilding.

Ill be using parts from the sparse bin, as well as sheet plastic and tubing for the various modifications it will take to represent the airframe im intending.

However, im not going to go crazy detailing. This one will be hanging from the ceiling in my work shop, so it will be more about the cool little additions, as well as a nice eye catching paint job.

That sounds like a good project. Sometimes a fun display project is the best thing to do. All I know is you'll do a great job on it. What made you decide to do this instead of the Arado?

Matt :party0023:

Sounds like a great deal of fun (as have been my mentioned den fighters, thank you very much), and I'm sure it'll look great when you're finished with it. I'll look forward to seeing the end result.

This one will be hanging from the ceiling in my work shop.

No, no, no. Make sure the fuse is sealed and have it in the bath.

A perfect LSP Rubber Ducky alternative!

1/24 Eh? Welcome to the dark side. :innocent:

Oh, I better add my question like everybody else.

Are you going to put a proper title to this bloody thread now that it has been guessed?

:popcorn:

What made you decide to do this instead of the Arado?

About 6 months less work. :lol: well maybe not that much less but a LOT im sure. I will definitely get to the 234, but I have a feeling my next all resin kit may be F4D..............I hope

Yea that'll work for me! :yahoo:

PM re-re-replied to. :D

Sounds like a great deal of fun (as have been my mentioned den fighters, thank you very much), and I'm sure it'll look great when you're finished with it. I'll look forward to seeing the end result.

I pretty much got this type of Idea off of your thread Kev. It just seemed like such a refreshing thing to do VS the AMS ridden projects I usually seem to bog myself down in. Lots of fun, minimum work and build time, fun painting and small detailing. JUST what I need. This wont be exactly like N888BH, but it will have the main characteristics. I hope.

No, no, no. Make sure the fuse is sealed and have it in the bath.

A perfect LSP Rubber Ducky alternative!

1/24 Eh? Welcome to the dark side. :innocent:

Oh, I better add my question like everybody else.

Are you going to put a proper title to this bloody thread now that it has been guessed?

:popcorn:

Nice..............and yes, good Idea. Sharpe group around here, it barely even took a day.

I will get my stuff together and put a proper thread together now that the game is no longer afoot. Not sure when the beaver is going to arrive either, but hopefully next week.

Nice one Brian - I had this specific kit in mind a couple of pages back, but when you said it was a between the wars design, I talked myself out of mentioning it as I thought that I was incorrect! (the Beaver floatplane variant first flew on August 16 1947).

Given the very high standard of your previous builds, I have no doubt that this should end up looking absolutely stunnung on completion - good choice.

Derek

(PS We need to see the bath tub photo evidence once you have made it! :))

Edited by Derek B

<<< rubs hands together >>> Ooh, love the idea of this ... will definitely be along for the ride.

Grant

Thanks Grant. This one (I HOPE) will be more of a quicky. Im REALLY, REALLY going to have to keep telling myself the purpose of this build........a ceiling queen with no interior and more simplified details and thus wont be going too crazy on it.

Nice one Brian - I had this specific kit in mind a couple of pages back, but when you said it was a between the wars design, I talked myself out of mentioning it as I thought that I was incorrect! (the Beaver floatplane variant first flew on August 16 1947).

Given the very high standard of your previous builds, I have no doubt that this should end up looking absolutely stunnung on completion - good choice.

Derek

(PS We need to see the bath tub photo evidence once you have made it! :))

Haha, thanks Derek. Yeah, I only put "inter-war" thinking because every cedar creek 24th scale beaver was the 1956 model year, so was going off the model year mine was made rather than the initial design year.

These games would be MORE fun if the LSP community wasn't so astute at this kind of thing. :lol: :rolleyes:

I am however, having a slight quandary about the interior..................I know this will be a quicker, less detailed build concentrating on the exterior details but since the kit has NO windows, Ive been wondering how to satisfactorily do the windows without having to cut them out, replace with clear parts, then make up a whole interior. Ive seen this method done on several of these Beaver kits, with cool results, but its the window cutting out and replacing that would likely take the time that I dont want to spend...........

Was thinking about making window "reflection" decals for them...........or painting them black and glossing over them?

Any Ideas guys?

Edited by Out2gtcha

Was thinking about making window "reflection" decals for them...........or painting them black and glossing over them?

Any Ideas guys?

This guy does the best one dimensional glass I have ever seen - not sure how to emulate it but you may be able to do something in coreldraw or another graphics program or maybe masks, airbrush effects etc

David Bathe

panel_top_right1.jpg

Peter