Revell Beaufighter VI or X??

Cees Broere

Hi all,

I confess, somehow I am not happy sticking shake and bake kits together. I tried the Trumpeter Swordfish (great fit, good detailing) or the Special Hobby Buffallo (lousy kit, bad fit). I was stuck.

Recently I came accross the old seventies vintage Revell Beaufighter, It hit me and hit me hard. This was what I was looking for. But, wrong canopy (old style) and wrong tailplane (flat). This was the solution, converting the thing, hacking away at it etc. etc.

And that is what I have been doing for the past week or so. Waiting for Derek to finish his conversion set was not an option (sorry Derek) So I will have to do it myself. I haven't made my mind up yet to make a Mk VI or a Torbeau using the Swordfish' torpedo. Somewhere along the line the solution will show itself, I think.

Don't you just love these old but still sound kits.

Here are the first pics showing the converted tailplanes, the span had to increased as well and of course I wanted seperate control surfaces. The wingtip lights were made by using thick perspex ( a leftover from the Halifax cockpit), drilling some holes, glue with superglue and then sand away. But it is fun fun.

Hope you like it.

Cees

DSCF1926.jpg

DSCF1927.jpg

DSCF1928.jpg

Excellent, I agree these old Revy kits are still fun to upate and modify. I have enjoyed my Mossie kit so far.

Keep posting Cees,

On a tangent, did you ever start that FM Halifax kit I sent you?

Hi Ron,

Yes, that one is still underway, some pics I posted in the converting a Lancaster into a Manchester thread. Fuselage ready to be closed, wings and tail finished.

Brian,

Any pics of the Lodela parts? Some years ago I saw the boxing of this version but didn't buy it a the time. Always wondered what the additional parts looked lik.

Cees

Brian,

Any pics of the Lodela parts? Some years ago I saw the boxing of this version but didn't buy it a the time. Always wondered what the additional parts looked lik.

Cees

Sure.............. I get off work in few hours, and will be going home to get some zzzzzzs, so in the next day or two Ill dig the kit out and take some pics of the vac parts.

Cheers

Edited by Out2gtcha

Some more progress,

Two pics showing the seperated and lenghtened horizontal tail surfaces. Some more filling needs to be done then

details such as stitching, actuator arms etc added.

This evening I finished the small louvres inside the carburettor intakes, a vertical rod goes straight through both of

them, making this a very difficult job. I had to drill a hole through the top. At least it worked. The opening for the landing

lights are also opened up. Similar to the Hurricane set up but double. I will have to see Jeroen's Hurricane thread how he

did it.

Finally the cannon troughs as modelled by Revell don't look like the real thing. Opening up the holes and then careful

filing created the elliptical openings. Pffhew, I need to lie down now.

Cees

DSCF1933.jpg

DSCF1934.jpg

DSCF1931.jpg

DSCF1932.jpg

DSCF1929.jpg

Edited by Cees Broere

Nothing spectacular, but pogress nevertheless,

Did some experimenting on the collector ring using Miliput, this will make the inside less toylike and gives the

impression of a collective exhaust. Also the beginnings of the cockpit interior, the basis kit part is usable and

I had the blind flying panel left over from the ID Halifax, it is the rounded version while the Beau used the

square one, but once installed who will notice. Work is now concentrating on the oil cooler intakes and louvres.

Cheers

Cees

DSCF1953.jpg

DSCF1951.jpg

Edited by Cees Broere