Posted 09 March 2012 - 01:53 PM
Have tried the standard rigging methods, sprue, fishing line, etc. with mixed results. I wanted to be able to install rigging at the end of the build to get a cleaner result. In the 30's the ac were rigged with what was called "streamline stainless wire"; essentially flattened stainless cable. To reproduce this in our scale I decided to flatten commonly available .015" round rigid music wire.
To do this 8" lengths of wire are cut and vise grips are attached to each end and simply drawn across a drum sander attachment on a hi speed drill. 3 or 4 passes on each "side" is enough as
These drums are quite aggressive. The wires are smoothed out with 400 sandpaper.
The finished wires are then cut to the lengths required. The fit method is just trial and error. Cut, bend, dry fit and then do it again. I always flatten twice the number of wires needed.
During this fitting process i make a location diagram for all the wires and set it aside till final install. Inevitably, there will adjustments necessary during final assembly. Gluing is done
With thin ca applied with wire. Not an easy method but it does allow for mistakes.
State of the art drum sander
Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:04 PM
1/32 Hase Me-109G2/R6
1/35 Su-85/ winter- attach to base
1/32 DH-9a USMC- Delivered to Flying Leathernecks Museum, MCAS Miramar
1/32 Mig-3:winter paint and weathering: in progress and base
Yacht America need some parts.
I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place...
Yes, I built models when I was a kid too.... no they're not toys....
Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:12 PM
Posted 09 March 2012 - 10:10 PM
OK, semi crude, yet oddly very effective.
Much like myself.
I was going to procrastinate tonight, but decided to wait.
Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:03 PM
Should be fun. I'll take some photo's.
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users