Trumpeter 1/32 RNZAF A-4K "Kahu Upgrade"

Well its getting late here tonight and I am just off to bed.

Before I go, here is a quick snap of what I have been working on the past few days.

DSC_0004%202_zpsngtf8soe.jpg

This is the lovely Northstar Models 32nd AGM-65 with LAU-117 launcher. The AGM-65 actually slides onto the rail as per the original....very cool Anyway I have had to modify it to a sub variant the RNZAF used on their A-4K's. I have built it as an inert missile and hence the back end is different (no motor bits in the back with rear fins removed) as is the front a little (I removed some panel detail to match photos). I replaced the brass main fins as I felt they were a little thin. I made new ones from plastic card and flooded the base of each one with Mr Surfacer 500 to 'radius' the join, rubbed it back and sprayed a heavier coat into each corner when doing an overall undercoat.

I decided when I lost the forward sway brace part to the carpet monster and when I looked for it my eyes were all fuzzy it was time to call it quits.

I will do another fwd sway brace tomorrow and attach it. There are still more finer details to add.

I think the TGM-65 will look pretty cool on the little 'Hawk' don't you?

Cheers guys

Anthony....off for some beauty sleep!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Kev! It looks good mounted on the wing to test. Working on the Mossie and this together, so next is sorting the winder and rail for the other side. I have the big resin 400gal c/l tank from Fisher which has a bit of weight in it so there will be some big brass mounts needed when I look at it later today.

No, I wish they would.

As many of you know I rallied a few of us modellers together to have a an upgraded Kahu cockpit 3D designed and printed. I wont mention the company (It is not anyone who is associated with LSP), but the results were well......pitiful! Then they wanted more money which I wasn't prepared to do etc etc...

Anyway a very well known and respected resin producer has decided to take it on (my very good friend Kerry did all the CAD work for a cockpit and Kiwi conversion and I spent hours and hours gathering photos, measurements and data for him to be able to do it). MASSIVE job to do accurately.

Lesson learnt about trying to get something done, but all is not lost and we will have a complete conversion with decals in the not to distant future all going well.

Here are some images of the CAD Kerry did...

Panel%20Assembly_zpsk1qor37i.jpg

I am sure you will agree, the time and effort has paid off!