Tamiya F-16 California ANG

Daywalker

Just started on this kit a week or so ago, but so far am really enjoying it! About all I have managed to do thus far is paint up the engine bay, still need to weather it a bit. I have also started on the cockpit, though the destructions don't have you work on this until half way through the kit! I know I should follow the directions, but what fun is that? :)

I am starting with the "Thunderbirds" kit, as it is easily backdated to a Block 25 AC as was flown in ODS. Eliminate a vent here and there, and deviate from the kit destructions where appropriate. Things such as the Thunderbird style ladder will go, as well as the piping for the smoke system and cover over the removed gun. Otherwise, a pretty straight forward conversion!

Comments and constructive criticism encouraged!

post-4637-1258127898.jpg

:goodjob: :rolleyes: Daywalker,

Love the F-16. We need some more kerosene burners represented here.

I didn't know if you knew (?) that the ALQ-131 has it's own pylon. Ground clearance issues wont let it fit on the universal pylon. It's only about 2 inches high and is shorter than the universal pylon. Here is about the best pics I could find:

PIC 1

PIC 2

HTH,

Crash

Wheeeew yeah. B) Very nice Frank! Hmmmm, I'm on the cusp of buying an F-16 kit to make into an earlier version for a Norwegian AC.(I believe they still operate A's? :bow: ) So the Thunderbird kit is a good candidate for what I'm seeking. Coooool. I'm gonna kick back and enjoy this one, and see how it builds up! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for stopping by Russ! I feel humbled having a guy who is building a kick-a$$ SR-71 FROM SCRATCH watching my build! Ohhhhh... the pressure! :)

Sorry I haven't posted any progress pics, have been putting the finishing touches on a 1/48 A6M3 this week. Hope to spray some paint on the office parts this weekend.

Bahahaha! Darn tootin this village idiot is watching! :P I'm a sucker for anything with a pilot in it. :popcorn: Uuuuuh, don't know why why you'd feel any pressure from this ole spud,....heck I'd probably paint mine Napoleonic purple just to see what it'd look like first....or maybe it's because my sombrero is on crooked.(I do have occasional wardrobe malfunctions. :huh: ) That does tend to disturb and unsettle most people I meet.

Well, if it's going to take awhile to get started on this, guess I'll have to take a looksee at building a Norwegian F-104 first. I'm not too sure yet of which version of the F-16 the Norwegians acquired, (pretty sure they're 'A's") or what they've done to modify them since. I dunno? Looks like the Tamiya kit is the game to play for an earlier version, so I'm off to tilt at windmills and acquire one. Have fun with the Zero in the meantime dude, sounds like a hoot! ^_^ Later, Russ

Whoooeeee! How'd you slam-dunk that so fast? :o Got any pics of it? (hey, you can steal yer own thread,...right?) :mental: Hey buddy, don't hurry anything on my account, OK? This thread isn't going anywhere(and neither am I), and I can just latch onto it whenever you start again. I'm just always interested in, and like to follow along in the fun of what all my compadres are doing on this forum. :beer: I don't know a darn thing about F-16's, and was gonna look over your shoulder while you build this up. (cuz I'm too lazy to figureit out for myself! :) )

You said this was going to be a block-25 I think. Uhhhh, what does that mean per say? It's an 'A' with some updates? I could get some books 'n such to figure this out, but it's a lot more fun to learn it from watching it being built. Looking forward to seeing how this all goes together buddy. Show us how it's done dude! :thumbsup: Later, Russ

Cool! As long as no one minds, here's a couple of pics of Hasegawa's 1/48 A6M3. Detailed up the office, Tamiya tape 'belts with wire buckles, red and green acrylic for the wingtip lights, wired engine, hand painted markings. Enjoy!

001-9.jpg

002-8.jpg

005-1.jpg

006-1.jpg

Thanks for the interest Russ! :party0023:

I have to admit- With the new Tamiya Spitifre due to arrive here on Monday, and the Trumpy 262 I received yesterday, I am really wanting to start on those two!

:thumbsup: