Fokker DR-1 Triplane

ruzlkampf

Gaaaah, I can't stand it anymore! There's a GB started and I haven't got anythig thrown in the ring yet! :rolleyes: Because I've got some other stuff going on, I needed something fairly easy....yet a blast to build. Played 'pin-the-tail-on-the-donkey', closed my eyes...and reached into the pile to pull this out. Got a fire-breathing devils-head on the side, and it's black. COOL! ;) Now this guy had a deal going on with the infantry in his area of operations; A case of champagne for every captured 130hp Clerget engine they could find 'laying around'. (My kind of guy.) Soooo,...he had those engines/props installed on the 2-3 tripes he flew for a little bit more 'umph'. I just happen to have one of those off a scrapped Hobbycraft Camel to go with this. heh heh.

Okay, here's what I'm starting with. Actually had a Hobbycraft tripe in the box with the Roden stuff that I had just taken stuff off the trees. Going to use the Roden kit, with the Hobbycraft decals to make Jacobs plane with the Clerget, and use the leftovers to make up another ace. Probably one of the 'brothers Richthofen'? Dunno yet. Nothing like building a brace of tripes to get the juices flowing again....oooh yesss. Here's the unopened Roden stuff in with the barely started Hobbycraft parts.

post-4413-1253517140.jpg

Here's what my main entry will be. Got a 'fire-spitting witch', or a 'God of the North-Wind' (that's what Jacobs called them) on a black plane. Too cool. I can get into this. The other plane I'll be building side-by-side just for giggles and grins. Probably make it Richtofens all-red last aircraft? A little too famous and over-done....but I've never done that before. Anyway, here's what I'm going for; More pics as things progress! Later, Russ

post-4413-1253516791.jpg

Ooooooohhhhhh! That IS cool! I was so close to doing my old Revell 1/28 Camel with the Tom's Modelworks pe stuff but was frightened by the rigging nightmare. I cannot wait to see what you do with this.

Btw, it is pilots galore at Matt's shop. Let me know and I can send off a care package of hideous castoffs to compliment your awesome builds! I am keeping that crazy French pilot though. :D

d520-1-3010.jpg

Hey my Friends,....glad to see ya'll following along! :rolleyes: Muwhahahaha! You KNOW I had to have some pilots for this brace of tripes, eh?! :P Much as I'd like to emulate your (in)famous French pilot Matt,....(oooooh, he is handsome, suave, and debonair with his 'tanker helmet' and goggles....and those cool gauntlets :huh:) ....he just doesn't have the cold flinty- eyed look of a German WW1 ace that I'm going for. Pity. :lol:

Quick search for WW1 pilots took me to a Belgium site called PJ Productions. VERY cool stuff there! This particular dude has the gnarly 'grrrr-look' that I was seeking. I also got him some buddies to go with some future builds....an excellent Allied WW1 pilot, and an RAF WWII pilot to boot. SWEET! Here he is;

post-4413-1253532515.jpg

Still needs a scarf, and more 'furry' stuff methinks....but he'll do nicely. Got a bit done on mocking up the 2 triplanes tonight. Basic stuff and test fitting. The Hobbycraft tripe had some horrendous ribbing detail on the wings that I knocked off with a bit of effort. It's an interesting comparison building both these up simultaneously. Here's some pics of the progress;

post-4413-1253532978.jpg

Grey one is the Hobbycraft,....brown is the Roden. Kinda neat, eh?! Not sure how far I can get on these until I get some pilots, but I'll post progress pics as things move on a little.

Last pics of the night, more soon! Later, Russ

post-4413-1253533286.jpg

Ooooooohhhhhh! That IS cool! I was so close to doing my old Revell 1/28 Camel with the Tom's Modelworks pe stuff but was frightened by the rigging nightmare. I cannot wait to see what you do with this.

Btw, it is pilots galore at Matt's shop. Let me know and I can send off a care package of hideous castoffs to compliment your awesome builds! I am keeping that crazy French pilot though. :lol:

d520-1-3010.jpg

'My, what big hands you have Grandma!' :rolleyes:

Always nice to see some 'Tripe & onions' going on Russ. I think that Jacob's colour scheme looks really cool - can't wait to see it in the flesh.

Cheers

Derek

Excellent! More WWI! ;)

Tim W

Whoooah yeah Tim,....I've got a Battleaxe Fokker D-VIII & D-VII that I juuuust may have build for this GB too. :P (I like very little rigging,....did I mention that I'm lazy? :P ) Whoohoo, that'd give me a 'Fearsome-Foursome' of freakin-far-out-flight of Fokkers! :) Uuuuuhm, gotta build these first....but that's going purdy good. Due to technical difficulties, I've had to change plans a bit and make the Hobbycraft DR-1 into the Clerget-powered Jacobs tripe. The British engine just fit into that one better, and I didn't have it in me to chop up the Roden.

Got the Clerget hacked up with the prop-hub and mount off the original Oberursel in the kit. Didn't mind a bit as it was a bit 'lumpy-lookin' anyway. Got all the seams filled and basic assemblies ready to go,...just waiting for the pilot to arrive. I'm going to move on without him anyway. I'm sure I can stuff him in when the time comes? :o

Here's the latest;

post-4413-1253711016.jpg