"Vac Macchi Saga"

Spads57

Afternoon All,

I thought this project of mine might be of some interest here at LPS.This is ID Models Macchi 202 being built for the Vac Group Build over at Britmodeller.I hope you enjoy and as always any and all commits are appreciated.

The beginning of this project.

scan0017.jpg

IMG_0671-1.jpg

The easy part is done,the cutting and sanding.

IMG_0673.jpg

The first tape up to see how things are going to look.

IMG_0678.jpg

Cockpit and cowling vents are cut out,note the large patch of epoxy putty is from removing the molded in Sand/Dust Filter.

IMG_0682.jpg

I used more epoxy putty to reinforce the areas on the fuselage that will be removed or modified.

IMG_0683.jpg

The main modification to the fuselage halves was to correct the Macchi hump.

IMG_0699.jpg

Now the really fun part begins with a little scratch building.

IMG_0687.jpg

A new radiator and housing replacements for the poor supplied parts.

IMG_0694.jpg

The cockpit parts.

IMG_0677.jpg

Continued in the next post.

hey Spads, looking very sweet, you're doing a very nice job, looking forward to seeing it finished, might inspire myself to do some scratching to the 21st century Macchi C.205 Veltro i just acquired from Erwin..... :ph34r:

regards,

Jack ;)

" Vac Macchi Saga Continues Part 2"

Scratch built oil cooler and the instrument panel.

IMG_0724.jpg

Moving on to the wings.Once I was happy with the sanding of the wing surfaces I began the scratch building for the wings internal structures.

IMG_0714.jpg

The main spare is in place forming the rear of the gear bays and engine bay.

IMG_0719.jpg

With everything in place the main wing were reinforced with additional supports.I learned many years ago that if I didn't use reinforcements I could look forward to drooping wings over time.

IMG_0718.jpg

Once the reinforcements were in place the main wing is closed.

IMG_0732.jpg

IMG_0730.jpg

With the wings closed my attention turned to the landing Gear and thie reinforcements.

IMG_0735.jpg

IMG_0739.jpg

IMG_0741.jpg

The landing gear mounts installed in the gear bays.

IMG_0746.jpg

Continued in the next post.

"Vac Macchi Saga Continues Part 3"

I've been working this morning on the cockpit.Still lacks the weathering,but that's this afternoons work.

The cockpit floor,seat,armor plate installed.

IMG_0757.jpg

IMG_0760.jpg

IMG_0761.jpg

IMG_0762.jpg

And the cockpit sidewalls.

IMG_0763.jpg

IMG_0764.jpg

That brings LSP up to speed on this project.I hope you've enjoyed this saga,and thank for looking.I post additional updates for for you when ever possible.

Regards,

Gregory Jouette

Steve,Texas,Ron,Berry,Kevin, Perry and Keith too

Thanks for the kind your more than kind words.They're much appreciated.

Steve sorry just couldn't resist them temptation.Yes it's a lot of work but very satisfying.

Keith you're right something like building an old Revell but a whole lot more work and a few shape issues as well.You'll see the shape issues being dealt with as the build progresses.

Regards,

Gregory Jouette

hey Spads, looking very sweet, you're doing a very nice job, looking forward to seeing it finished, might inspire myself to do some scratching to the 21st century Macchi C.205 Veltro i just acquired from Erwin..... ;)

regards,

Jack :rolleyes:

Jack,

Thanks for the kind words.Those 21C Macchi kits aren't half bad,the main faults are very much fixable.Check out my Macchi 202 prototype thread to what can be done with a little effort. One thing though the 21C Macchi 205 is actually a converted 202 up to 205 standards,but then again it wouldn't be too difficult to convert the kit to Macchi 205 Series II or III.

Link http//forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=24156&hl=macchi+202+prototype

Regards,

Gregory Jouette

• 4 years later...

Greetings fellow LSP'ers,

The Vac Macchi Saga is back from the "Shelf of Doom". I stalled on this project years ago after grossly miscutting the fuselage wing roots. Never got around to the repairs before I had my stroke in 2010 so the Macchi set on the shelf gathering dust until a few weeks ago. So an update willing coming shortly,actually Monday to be correct. Camera batteries don't seem to last forever anymore so new ones are a must.

Highest Regards,

Gregory Jouette

Good to see you back at this one Greg, and glad you were able to locate the thread. Looking forward to your next update!

Oh, and sorry to hear about your stroke too. I hope you are well recovered at this point.

Kev