Ki-43 "Oscar"

Well alright! While waiting for my FRANKENstein to fully dry before handling, I just HAD to open the box for the Oscar and preruse the contents. :unsure: Started putting cylinders on the crankcase,...and well, I guess I've officially started it now. Really getting into these JAAF fighters now that I've got the 'swing' of things, and I'm enjoying myself tremendously!

Was really surprised at the nice fit of the kit pieces after a dry run of taping them together. Want to do this AC in the markings of the 64th Sentai operating in the CBI theatre in late '44. Some kind of silver w/green splotches maybe. I really like the idea of having the canopy back, with the pilot semi-standing out of the pit with a scarf blowing back fron the slip-stream while taxiing. Here's where I'm at as of tonight.

post-4413-1236589839.jpg

Got the engine assemblies all mocked up and dry fit together. I thought it was going to be kinda clunky looking because the kits been around for so long,...but it really came out looking sweet! I'm going to be making a late version Oscar, so it won't have the 'beehive' oil cooler in front of the motor.

post-4413-1236590293.jpg

Here's a shot of my two Nakajima 'brothers' together for a size comparison. I get a kick out of seeing what a couple of years of wartime developement hath wrought from the mother factory. This build should go together pretty quickly, as I'll be bouncing back/forth between it and the Ki-84 as things dry. More pics as things develop! Russ

post-4413-1236590687.jpg

Weeell, Hmmm,..no wife/kids/pets/responsibilities/plants to water/yard-work/blah blah. Uhmm, I do wash my car every week. Guess that means I'm a bum. Nooo, make that a bum who makes model airlplanes. Yeah, that's it!! :blink: :unsure:

You´re going fast my friend. Hmm, kids, work, pets, responsabilities I always forget the plants, the backyard looks like a jungle and the postman doesn´t come without a machette.........sh.t I am doing something wrong here!

Rick.

Hey!, Thanks for following along guys! :P Didn't have as much time tonight to work on Oscar as I wanted, so I did a little "mini-project" to keep me amused. If I want to have the pilot 'standing up' out of the cockpit with his scarf blowing in the breeze,....I gotta make him fit. Not many pilots out there that are striking this 'dramatic and inspiring pose'. Heh heh. Sooo,...I got to chop sumthin else up! Whoohoo!

Nothing glued together yet, but here's a pic of my pilot in his new infinitely poseable guise. Look Ma, I'm sculpting! This is a pilot out of the Ki-61, and he just has that "Grrrr....I'm gonna take-off and watch my bullets bounce off that P-38 when I hose em with my two pop-guns look". Grrrr! Okay, maybe he'll look a lot more like a tough guy when I get that silk scarf on him. Uhh, no wait I mean.... ;) More pics as this 'wardrobe malfunction' progresses. Grrr. Russ

post-4413-1236687251.jpg

Bwhahah! :P Ironically enough, my neighbors were saying the same thing today while gazing at me in wild wonder. Had an assistant (bless her heart) dribbling dirt out of one hand, and blowing it into a dust-cloud with a blow-dryer outta the other,....in front of some palm trees whilst I was checking out different angles with my camera. Why you ask?! :P When I take the final pics of this build, I want the prop to be spinning, and a cloud of dust wafting back from the propwash, pilot jacked up in his seat posing for the propaganda photographer with his scarf blowing, in a tropical setting. :P

Pilot now has 'the pose', prop-shaft is slicked up well enough to spin with the blowdryer, and I've got plenty of dirt and palm trees here....so it's possible. In theory. Whoohoo!

But I digress; Latest pics of the pilot with his hand on the throttle/stick/ and jacked up in his seat. No silk scarf,...I've decided on a rising sun headband tied around his helmet. Model is mocked up in take-off attitude so I can get the angle of his head right.

post-4413-1236770973.jpg

Just got thru slicking up my propeller so it turns when I give it a puff of air. Closer look.

post-4413-1236771050.jpg

Got his feet flat on the floor, so now I know how high to get the seat pumped up and can finish the cockpit. I might pose him with his left arm grabbing the front canopy, or 'elbow out the side' instead of on the throttle. What ever whim takes me at the moment. He is fully articulated now. Here's how I've posed him for these shots.

post-4413-1236771156.jpg

post-4413-1236771165.jpg

Comparison pic with the kit pilot. (Note; these pictures have been edited for 'mature content'. Now rated PG-13,...viewer discretion advised! :P )

post-4413-1236843789.jpg

post-4413-1236843796.jpg

I like this pic,....has that 'Grrrrr' look to him. Can't wait to put a headband on his melon. :P BANZAI !!!!!!!

post-4413-1236771557.jpg

More pics as things progress. Russ

Wow! looks nice.

This pilot actually looks much angry... might be sufering from his body being broken in pieces :P

This said, it is a great idea and would make a very nice diorama...

Can not wait to see more!

Cheers,

Loic