Stuka Kanonenvogel in winter distemper

jcfay

Howdy folks - well, I've finally finished this 1/32 Hasegawa Stuka G2, with Eduard's interior/exterior PE sets, Voyager model's metal barrels, and an Eaglecal decal set. This was Hans Ulrich Rudel's bird, but I decided to put it in winter distemper as well (I didn't find any pics of this specific aircraft in distemper so I took a bit of liberty here). Looking at some pics of winterized Stukas (super dirty, of course) towards the end of the war I couldn't resist the chance to weather to the extreme. The original build article started some months back (here's the original post: http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=20706) as part of the "Wings of the Luftwaffe" group build (also with a resin engine, which I abandoned since crafting replacement cowling panels was going to be such a bear). Couldn't make the deadline but at least it's finished!

Hope you like it. It sure was a fun and time-absorbing build.

Full view:

PICT0375.jpg

PICT0252.jpg

Some views closer in of the weathering on the beast. The whole process took a very long time:

PICT0263.jpg

PICT0243.jpg

PICT0283.jpg

PICT0280.jpg

More pics to come...

Alright, here's some more.

Pics of the cockpit:

PICT0210.jpg

This shot shows the high-quality Hasegawa canopy, and the great canopy interior decals, as well (mixed with some paint, of course):

PICT0269.jpg

A good view of the instrument panel and radios:

PICT0412.jpg

Some more sidewall detail through the excellent transparencies:

PICT0414.jpg

Some shots of the underside. Also visible is the Eduard radiator replacement details:

PICT0221.jpg

More Eduard detail:

PICT0362.jpg

Next will be the guns...

Here's the guns. The include a bunch of Eduard details as well as scratch-built piping and tubes. And of course then they're weathered pretty heavily too...

PICT0239.jpg

PICT0295.jpg

PICT0329.jpg

PICT0357-1.jpg

And, just one quick shot of part of my inspiration for this thing. A pic of a super-dirty stuka:

PICT0389.jpg

Thanks for looking,

JON

John

That looks great! What an excellent job you have done. The paint looks great. I will have to look at the original post to see if you showed how you did the winter scheme. If it is not there, please post a few details about how you did it.

Guys - thanks very much for all of the compliments. It's appreciated. It was great to see Jamie's Stuka too; what a fabulous piece of work that is! Sean - the painting process on this took a whole number of steps, definitely far more than what I usually do on a build (due to the distemper). I didn't chronicle it in a thread (I'll be better about this in the future...) so here is what it was:

1) Primer, and then preshaded panels lines with black

2) Painted select spots (areas that could be prone to more wear) with Alclad aluminum

3) Added table salt with water to these spots, and let dry

4) Painted the standard RLM 65/70/71 camo, let dry, and then removed the salt exposing the metal areas

5) Gloss coat with future

6) Decals

7) More future

8) Weathered with artist's oils

9) Yes, more future

10) applied bluetac masks over the upper surface insignias and markings

11) Sprayed a highly thinned flat white mix over upper surfaces, unevenly and with varying patterns; removed masks

12) After drying, took paper towel with a bit of thinner to surfaces to remove some of the distemper, and further streak it

13) you guess it, more future!

14) weathered with artists oils, and applied tamiya smoke and a small bit of grey for exhaust stains

15) more future, with a bit of tamiya flat base in it for flat finish

I think with all of the wait times between coats for drying this took me the better part of a month and a half or longer, but I think it turned out well. It looked like these sorts of Stukas were already pretty dirty even before the white wash was applied, so I wanted to do that too. The table salt/flaked metal thing also worked out pretty well too, but most of that is mostly hidden. Altogether I was going for many different layers.

Thanks again,

JON