I'm in with another 21st Century Bf-109F

tbell

I picked this kit up for painting practice, and I'm really quite impressed. The $10 I paid is worth it for the decals alone, which are very, very nice. There is also what has to be the nicest injection molded pilot figure I've seen. Oh, and you get an airplane kit with your decals and pilot, too. Bonus!

The slightly crude detailing (as compared to, say, a Hasegawa kit. Not fair, I know) belies some very clever engineering and remarkably good fit. For instance, the landing gear legs are impossible to misalign.

IMG_0670.jpg

So far I've buttoned up the fuselage and attached the wings. I've carved off the mounting lugs from the canopy and polished it back to clarity.

IMG_0673.jpg

The only extra I've added is the seat harness from painted masking tape.

Cheers,

Tony

• 2 weeks later...

Well it's ready for paint now. I removed the rather heavy mounting lugs for the canopy and polished it back to clarity.

IMG_0676.jpg

I also filled the slat recesses in with epoxy putty for a cleaner look.

IMG_0680.jpg

The canopy can still be opened & closed. What's a 21st Century Toy without a toy-like feature?

Bf109F-Canopy.gif

Cheers,

Tony

More painting tonight.

IMG_0686.jpg

First up was the pre-shading. I like to use Krylon Fusion black, decanted into the airbrush. As a matter of fact, I have an old Alclad bottle that I've filled with black Krylon that I keep handy for this sort of thing.

IMG_0691.jpg

Next is the RLM76, mixed from Tamiya paints with a bit of Future added and thinned with Alcohol.

IMG_0692.jpg

Following that is the RLM74/75 camo, airbrushed freehand. The '75 is Gunze and the '74 is again a Tamiya mix. These I thinned with lacquer thinner, as they seem to spray more smoothly that way.

The next few evenings will be spent on the rest of the camo, mottling, fading and post-shading. Stay tuned...

Cheers,

Tony

Hi Tony,

Great job man. I really love the whole concept of this type of kit. I think it really fills a niche. You've done a super job with your initial painting...will look forward to more.

Oh and I really liked the way you analysed the Sea Fury. It just came across so professional, informative and without any venom. Great stuff as well.

Cheers Matty

Terrific as always Tony. Great advice about using lacquer thinner with Gunze and Tamiya acrylics too. I tried this for the first time myself the other night (with some scepticism I might add), and I was really pleased with the results. The paint seemed to flow more smoothly out of the airbrush, with less spatter, and seemed to dry with less fragility than I'm used to. The only downside of course is the smell (I don't have a paint booth).

Kev

Hi Tony,

Great job man. I really love the whole concept of this type of kit. I think it really fills a niche. You've done a super job with your initial painting...will look forward to more.

Oh and I really liked the way you analysed the Sea Fury. It just came across so professional, informative and without any venom. Great stuff as well.

Cheers Matty

Yeah, I think Roy Sutherland's paradigm is brilliant. Sell pre-built models in quantity to subsidize cheap but high value kits (at least I'm assuming that's his business model). What I like about them is that I can knock one out for fun and not worry about everything being perfect.

You must be thinking about someone else's analysis of the Sea Fury, though. I commented on the forthcoming HC Mustang, but not the Sea Fury. Can you point me to the comments? I'd like to read them...

• 2 weeks later...

This weeks update: mottling! I know that my lightning pace is hard to believe, but that's how fast I work!

IMG_0722.jpg

IMG_0724.jpg

IMG_0725.jpg

I'm going to be doing a bit more, carrying it down the sides of the fuselage a bit more to match the reference photo I have of Ostermann's machine.

Cheers,

Tony