Revel F-14B conversion

blackbetty

This has turned out to be a major project, so maybe someone is interrested.

Why use the revell and not the tamiya cat?

1. i was given the revell kit by my wife for christmas <_<

2. picked up the teknics set cheap on ebay :lol:

3. i love challenges :P

this is really "in progress", while i write this, its not finished and i dont know how good it will turn out ;)

i am no master modeller, there are a lot of real artist here on LSP i dont want to compare my work with, but it is just for the fun of it, aint it?

so here goes: these are the things i thought i would use (together with a JDAM and a GBU from an academy kit)

post-2020-1185345563.jpg

for the the colour and markings i choose a VF-32 bird from OIF, because i would be able to use a mixed JDAM/GBU loadout.

the CAG jet was too colourfull, and a linejet was too grey, so i fell in love with modex 101, #161860, just the right balance i think

http://www.carrierbuilders.net/store/f14b-...2005-p-172.html

a whole new can of worms: no decals availible - i have to do them myself (more on that later)

books i used were the squadron tomcat book, osprey tomcats of OIF, shock and awe by greg davis, "bye, bye baby" and most of all the daco book on the tomcat

lots of research was also done on the internet, but i was still not able to come up with the crewnames on the starboard side of the nosegeardoor... so if someone knows <_<

Fascinating - I'd always believed that any of the upgrade options for the Tamiya kit wouldn't fit in the Revell F-14 - looks like I was wrong...

Great work so far ,

I've completed 2 Tamiya F-14's , one as a b and one as a d , and o be honest I never want to see another scribing tool for a long long time -

But who knows I might be tempted to dust off my old Revell Cat after all - thanks!

Fascinating - I'd always believed that any of the upgrade options for the Tamiya kit wouldn't fit in the Revell F-14 - looks like I was wrong...

Great work so far ,

I've completed 2 Tamiya F-14's , one as a b and one as a d , and o be honest I never want to see another scribing tool for a long long time -

But who knows I might be tempted to dust off my old Revell Cat after all - thanks!

Do not have the parts u need.Larry

Wow nice job so far with the resin I was also thinking about this so I'm taking notes from you here on ho you are tackling the problems.

Anyway I was wondering how you are going to clear the area behing the RIO pit as this leaves quite the gap around the resin part. Also pay attention to the fact that the revell clear parts are different from tamiya .I realy like the work so far makes me tempetd to try it out myself :P

Greetz STB

Frederick Jacobs