FOKKER D-VII

ruzlkampf

Eesh...shooting from the hip and the internet don't mix. Take well aimed deliberate shots.

Nice tutorial Russ...your da man :-)

LOL...............You said it Matty........ Im hearing a frequently sung song in my head by a certain mostly titainium robot whos shiny metal ass can be kissed by the non-believers....

"Bender is great!.............Oh Bender is great............Bender is Great!

LOL

Brian

Howdy everybody! :speak_cool: I was actually hoping that by showing how I did my lozenge this would all just blow away and not escalate into some kind of 'hillbilly feud'. I've already risen above this and left it behind.....and hope everybody else does too. HOWEVER! I did mention that if enough people were interested in a tutorial on how to do decals,.....I could be talked into it. I've been loathe to do this previously as I didn't want any decal manufacturers who do business here on LSP to perceive they'd be losing any sales by having everybody knowing how to do this. After reflecting on this a bit, I realized that most of the models I build aren't being manufactured or marketed by anybody and I am in no direct competition.

SO! I'm going to blow the deadline off on my ME-110G-4 build and delve into a tutorial on how I go about designing and printing decals for this model that a complete novice can understand. AFAIK there is no kit of this and no manufacturer making decals for this version. The designs I need are simple, so I can spend a lot more time explaining what I'm doing.....and more importantly...I'm going to screw up intentionally every step of the way so everybody can see EXACTLY what the pitfalls are to be avoided, and why.

LSP Dave graciously moved the SR-71 thread over to the 'Stalled GB' so I'm going to be starting on that build after finishing the 110. I will be going over how to make the decals for that model also in detail. WHY? The ME-110 is a light colored aircraft with dark markings, the SR-71 is a black aircraft with white markings. Printers don't print white, and I consider the decals for that SR-71 to be the toughest part of that build....and I want to show everybody how it's done within the limitations of doing your own decals.

Not really sure the best way to go about doing this; Just showing how it's done on each of those build threads or starting a topic under 'Hints-Tips-Suggestions'(I think it's called?) area of the forum. I also need a bit of practice to get my 'tutorial' style down using screenshots and pic sizes that will convey all this information and keep under the 800x600 pixel-100kb limit of posting. I'll be using an inexpensive flat-bed scanner, a cheap desktop inkjet printer, and Ms Paint program(free with every version of Windows?) to show how I do this as inexpensively and simply as possible. I'll also go into the various papers and give a review of different printing techniques. Making the decals is only half the battle.....printing them to look like what you see on your screen is the other.

This tutorial will be like learning how to ride a bike or catch a fish; Easy to do once you know how.....but try explaining how to do it!? You'll have a new appreciation for the guys who do this professionally, and hopefully this will empower those who wish to push their modeling horizons out to some new limits and attempt builds that were never before possible with existing skills.

AND, it'll be FUN!!!!! :bow: As I never professed to know everything about decals, and there's a hundred ways to skin a cat.....I'll be inviting those who have done this before to chime in and add some of their experiences also. Know what the magician knows, and it's no longer magic....so stop on by and enjoy the show! Later All, Russ

...........I'm going to blow the deadline off on my ME-110G-4 build and delve into a tutorial on how I go about designing and printing decals for this model that a complete novice can understand.

Shame to put off that cool looking bird like that ME-110, but I gotta say................YOU DA MAN RUSS! :punk: ;)

This is me................a much and self proclaimed novice at decal printing. As a matter of fact I dont think you can get any more novice than never having done it before can you?

There have been many times on diff projects where this skill would have come in handy but with the diff printers and diff decal papers, and manufactures of decal paper and decal paper sealer and :P

Well I just wanted to say thanks for going over that as I feel my modeling skills have come along way in the last couple of years on a lot of diff levels but making my own decals is not one of those areas, and I really would like to change that. :)

Thanks Russ!

Cheers,

Brian

Hi Russ,

Where do I join the 'numpty' line for this tutorial! :P

I hope that Doug is now pacified and any misunderstandings settled? (ultimately, the only people who would suffer from any withdrawl of the selfless help both you and Doug have freely given would be the very people who really need that information - the modellers themselves!).

I am really looking forward to seeing your step by step guide, so I shall stay tuned (I am sure that it will be a very popular hit within the 'Techniques and tips' section).

:)

Cheers

Derek

Hi Russ,

You show that a sour occassion can lead to something inspirational! :P

As there are several guys, including me, here at LSP are busy trying to make their own decals,

it's very helpful to have a thread dedicated to decal making.

I also think that this forthcoming thread will not push our dear decal manufacturers out of business.

If there are ready made decal sheets available for a subject,

then they are far more preferable than making your own.

It really saves a lot of work! ;)

There are already many tricks and tips spread over the forum,

so I think we all have to chime in to concentrate all our experiences at one place.

This is gonna be interesting! :)

Cheers,

Peter