Memorial Day

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#16 Out2gtcha

Out2gtcha

• LSP Moderator
  • 23,013 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 01:14 AM

Alot of people have seem to forgotten the real meaning of memorial day.
That day is set aside not to remember and thank those who have served or are serving, that is what veteran's day is for. Memorial day is to remember those who gave their all and died while defending our freedom whether it was in combat or training.
Sometime during all the "fun" this weekend, pause for a moment and remember that your freedom was bought by the blood that was shed all over the world by our nation's military.

Tim

Hence my original post
  • Martinnfb, LSP_Typhoonattack, Daniel460 and 2 others like this

#17 Hawkwrench

Hawkwrench

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 01:40 AM

You said it right, but some people get it mixed up. Just wanted to clear up the confusion.

Tim
  • Iain (32SIG), Out2gtcha, Daniel460 and 1 other like this
Clear up Right!
Tim

#18 Gigant

Gigant

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 03:13 AM

....And my father and his brothers who served in the U.S. Army and Navy in WWII in both the PAC and the ETO, and his mother's brother who served in the trenches of WWI are all dead.

One each of the above who served in the Army in each war died from their traumatic wounds, and both physical and psychological, from being in those wars, and in both cases they were prolonged deaths which my father's family had to endure.

I will spare you the graphic details, as I witnessed one die in our home as I was growing up.

So, you see, Brian and Tim, you are not alone in "getting the differences" between the two holidays.

OK?????

Edited by Gigant, 26 May 2018 - 03:27 AM.

• Out2gtcha likes this

:innocent: Tom

My photo album: https://www.flickr.c...1984@N04/albums

#19 Iain (32SIG)

Iain (32SIG)

• LSP Moderator
  • 7,595 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 11:50 AM

Hi guys,

Yesterday I mentioned the Chapel at Hethel - and there was some interest expressed - so here it is.

The museum is purely run by volunteers and is very 'belt and braces' - but all the more poignant for it IMHO.

https://hethel389th.wordpress.com/

http://guide.8theast...ibition-hethel/

48b427_4e87a0cd9e264d2998ed12e6ab5715c6~

The site is a little way away from the actual airfield and was formerly the station gynasium, as well as chapel.

After the war the buildings were used by a farm on the site - and the murals in the chapel were overpainted. These were re-discovered when someone pointed out there looked like there was something under the paint - and were subsequently restored (at one point I believe it was going to be demolished):

48b427_37d99c848c7d44718f6120a80c694201~

The museum has quite a number of artifacts on display - many donated by Lotus Cars as they were found (mainly in the Control Tower area) when Lotus took over the airfield in 1966.

48b427_91fb6e8884d74003ad0a4a9aae2a92c3~

48b427_bc273e757898426aad1ed3c9de8ed3ea~

48b427_e608dd44c37a4359b13b47011f5faed5~

48b427_cb52c08972ed4b9ba0610ba0aa631bcf~

Not far away (you don't have to go far in this area to come across another wartime airfield) there is the airfield at Old Buckenham - part of this is still in use for light aircraft and the occasional warbird - there is a memorial there too - which, again, some of you might like to see:

48b427_0a40d85805ca4f8e8e38071ab302b4df~

48b427_697bd1851cc44e90a845d910d8db6f5f~

Iain

• R Palimaka, dennismcc, Martinnfb and 3 others like this

1280-4.jpg

Iain Ogilvie - http://www.aeronut.co.uk

#20 Out2gtcha

Out2gtcha

• LSP Moderator
  • 23,013 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 05:28 PM

Iain, that really does bring some perspective to things. Some awesome pieces there too. That original lift raft is super cool.

• Martinnfb likes this

#21 Iain (32SIG)

Iain (32SIG)

• LSP Moderator
  • 7,595 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 11:38 AM

I have a very nice book on my shelf - 'Mighty Eighth in Color' by Roger Freeman - period images in colour, with lots of photos of people (rather than just the aircraft) - very evocative.

48b427_b16f456ea0b744d8825a5543a27f6d66~

Iain

• Martinnfb likes this

1280-4.jpg

Iain Ogilvie - http://www.aeronut.co.uk

#22 Barry

Barry

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,044 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 01:22 PM

Why we remember.

GqOUIrw.jpg

• Martinnfb and Out2gtcha like this

#23 LSP_Typhoonattack

LSP_Typhoonattack

• LSP Moderator
  • 26,878 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 06:12 PM

The dinner I attended yesterday turned out fantastic, with all of the food being really top notch. The father of the four brothers there, served in the Navy during WWII, (Fletcher class destroyer), and while not killed, thankfully, did receive a Purple Heart for actions in the Pacific, with an accompanying letter signed by William "Bull" Halsey.

• Iain (32SIG) likes this

Kevin

I was going to procrastinate tonight, but decided to wait.

In Progress:

#24 LSP_Typhoonattack

LSP_Typhoonattack

• LSP Moderator
  • 26,878 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 06:30 PM

Speaking of Halsey, if you've not ever seen it, "The Gallant Hours", with James Cagney, is a pretty darned good movie.

Kevin

I was going to procrastinate tonight, but decided to wait.

In Progress:

#25 R Palimaka

R Palimaka

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 06:51 PM

Thanks Iain for the photos of the Hethel chapel. My father was at Hethel after it was handed over to the RAF, he was with 303 Kosciuszko (Polish) Squadron on Mustangs. The Squadron was disbanded from there. It's one of the only airfields Dad was at that I haven't had a chance to visit. Possibly this year...

Richard

• Jack and Iain (32SIG) like this

#26 Jack

Jack

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,527 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 09:37 PM

Yesterday i went to see the war memorial at the Margraten american war cemetery to attend memorial day (it's located in the southern province of Limburg in the Netherlands, and it's one of the largest in Europe)

At the time i was airtraffic controller at Maastricht airport, close to the cemetery, i often was in contact with the jet aircraft (USAFE F-15's when they were still stationed at Soesterberg AB, but nowadays F16's belonging to a RNLAF squadron) when they made their missing man formation over the memorial monument at the cemetery.

But being retired i was able to visit and make this picture.......always impressive...........

yn9WLpn.jpg

• LSP_Typhoonattack, Out2gtcha and Tnarg like this

everyone in the circuit switch off your radios....now switch 'em back on again......

#27 mmaben

mmaben

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,423 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 10:41 PM

Nothing I can say.

iNPCoDC.jpg

I just like airplanes

Mike                        Smirnoffcat    RomanianG-2

#28 Tnarg

Tnarg

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 11:32 PM

My Mom always talked about what she would do on Decoration Day. I didn't realize that I had a Civil War soldier in my ancestry, but my Aunt discovered his diaries and they are fascinating (Claiborne Louis Haynes). He died shortly after the US Civil War of tuberculosis which he contracted during the war. My Great Uncle Joseph Lambert went away with the American Volunteers to fight in the Great War and also died from pneumonia or the Spanish Flu before he returned (1918). Joseph was the one my Mother most thought of on this day.

My Father and Father in Law both served in the Pacific, in the US Marines and the US Navy. Dad was a carpenter and my Wife's Father was an aviation metal smith, patching up all sorts of planes (many of which he built again as models) and luckily, both made it home and lived long lives never having had to point their rifles at another human being.

It seems that most of us have forgotten the decoration part of the day. We enjoy the freedoms that their sacrifice bought. Claiborne Louis Haynes kept a photo of his little daughter Zanette all through the war, just to remember what he was fighting for.

Tnarg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users