'Grace' type two-seat Spitfire in 1:32

Iain

Been working on the rear instrument panel and supporting area.

Having made up a template from sheet plastic to get the shape of the rear instrument panel sorted, tonight I have mostly been trying to trim back the Yahu Spit IX panel - what on earth are they making these from?

I thought it was brass - but my attempts to trim back indicate it might be stainless steel?

Have now gone to Defcon 3 and dug out the power tools (and some whisky) - wish me luck! 

Iain

With due regard for the vacuum properties of grandmothers' mouths and eggs, if you should find the ledge between the transparency and the frame losing marked definition, a couple of 0.03 drilled holes along the edge will draw the vac formed plastic tighter into the area without causing any embarrassing dimples.

0.03...inches I take it?  0.76 mm?

Duh, my bad, I meant 0.3 mm like the smallest in this set: Haven't quite progressed to nano tech just yet!

s-l1600.jpg

Although I find it's better to buy them singly in tubes of 10 as they're quite fragile. But they're more versatile with the greater drilling depth offered compared to the ones machined down from a standard 3mm shank.

When vac-forming they're invaluable for clear parts as you can drill fine holes where required to ensure a good suction draw into any awkward areas of the pattern. Their fineness allows the air to be evacuated, sucking the heated plastic to a snug fit without attempting to follow it down the hole causing a dimple.

On a pattern such as a canopy mould, it's usually better to mill out cavities on the underside that can be drilled into from the other side, rather than trying to drill through the full thickness of the pattern.

Edited by Chek

Quick update on rear panel...

Yup - stainless steel (I thought they were plated brass) - so a case of clamping in a rubber faced vice and grinding to shape using my trusty motor tool - followed by a diamond file.

The 'six pack' of instruments will be treated as per front panel - but the area around it will be made from plastic sheet - to reflect the different arrangement in the rear pit.

Looks really rough - but won't when finished:

48b427_db4c93a91f6648f0ba6aaaab555c1517~

Looks lop-sided in photo - but it isn't!

Fits a treat now:

48b427_e7ec24e60853445ca6537b091cc5a28a~

48b427_8f12e7d8083942858df793acbbb8b613~

Working on seats/seat straps at the mo - more images to follow.

Iain

Working on seats/straps.

New back 'cushions' made from epoxy putty and painted:

48b427_b764d9eb88f54d2f9d6eac4289548fd8~

Bit of a scruffy interface between pad and seat at the mo - that won't be seen on final model.

Starting on straps...

Closest I've found is the RB Productions US WWII sets and these will be used as a basis for the seat straps in this Spit.

48b427_ebcadef0ae824e3c9c901967e2bcf4c1~

There are a few things that help when working with tiny etched parts like this: Light (lots of it!), good magnification, pointy tweezers and a sharp blade.

Oh, and patience!

48b427_fa63c8ff11c34399942fa0b2899024f9~

Bitter experience has taught that any assembly/threading of straps is better done with the etched parts still on the fret where possible.

This is particularly true of the strap 'adjusters' in the RB Productions set.

These need the edges bending up 90 deg, before passing through a central bar - which also needs its ends bending up 90 deg!

No way was I going to try and assemble off the fret - a recipy for frustration and lost parts!

This method took about 10 mins - and worked! Central bars now 'float' in their mountings.

You'll see the difference between the 'virgin' fret and the one that's been done - hopefully!  :frantic:

48b427_0e5df31ebe4a45c8bab10309b2e6df10~

48b427_90365f68d1db4e5690ba846e82f2fde5~

More later...

Iain

Guest Peterpools

Iain

Nice work on the rear IP and seats. Nice tip about working with PE on the frets as I tend to loose them quite a bit.

Peter

Cheers Peter - I know others do similar things - do find it helps, especially with my sanity!  :)

Shoulder straps x 4 all done - 4 more straps to do, but will have to wait as I have some words to finish writing for an article, and I keep putting it off...  :(

Iain

Guess I actually missed commenting on this one Iain.................great work!  Its all in the details.    Seems the best ones we make are usually the ones we end up having to give up at the end. Probably a main reason why I quite commission modelling on an every day basis.

This one might be tough to give up in the end!