FOKKER D-VII

ruzlkampf

Yeeehaw! I got this out last night, opened the box to see what duh heck was in it,.....and actually started cutting all the parts off the sprues and gluing things together! I got the 'Fokker Fever!" Realized to my horror that I hadn't taken any pics yet, and I'd better do that before getting much further as I want to enter this in the GB too. :lol:

OK, starting off with the Battleaxe kit, well....uuuuhmm cuz except for maybe a vacuform or the forthcoming Wingnuts kit....it's all there is out there. :huh: Now I've heard less than exemplary stories about this kit, so I had to check it out. At first, it was a big....MEH. But the more I got to fiddling with it, the better it got. It's a limited edition kit, so it takes a bit of massaging, but it's got LOTS of potential. (and a very scale outline according to my plans) COOL! More on all that as I go along. Here's what I'm starting with. (I cut almost all of the parts off the sprues for test-fitting)

post-4413-1253874498.jpg

Alright, see those decals? Hah hah hah, they'e ......uuuuhm fictitious to say the least. Also, the prop was pretty lumpy....but I have an extra I can use off the Hobbycraft tripe that will do nicely. This kit actually has a nice PE fret and resin parts. Don't know the ace I'll make this AC, but I think with the plethora of pilots who flew this....it shouldn't be too hard to come up with one I like.

I'll be making my own 5-color lozenge decals for this thing just for the coolness factor. Here's a color template of what I'll be using as a basis from Arizona Models. If they make them in 1/32nd scale I'll buy them.....if not I'll have to compensate and make my own using these as a pattern and finalizing the colors. More on this build as things progress! Later, Russ

post-4413-1255073331.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Duuuhhhooohh! :) OK, I edited this thread to reflect the insurmountable confusion I was experiencing over the 4 color lozenge pic previously depicted. Now have the correct 5-color pattern shown above. Because of recent research, I will now show the latest iteration that I am going to print out as decals for this thing. Whoooee, they told me not to take my brain out to play with,...shoulda known I'd drop it or squeeze it too hard. :lol:

Anywho, this is the new test-pattern for the top and bottom 5-color scheme; Top first....

post-4413-1255073978.jpg

And the bottom;

post-4413-1255074014.jpg

Whuh oh, gonna get fancy and do the interior of the fuselage in another scheme. Here's the top/bottom pattern with what would be the back-side of this pre-printed fabric. I gotta try it, what can I say?! :lol: Just a small update to show work is continuing on this build 'behind-the-scenes'. Heh heh. :)

post-4413-1255074530.jpg

Thanks Håkan! Hope they don't blow up when I put them in water! :blink: Ya know, I just visited the Wingnuts site for the first time last night Vaughn (WOW!), and they're going to be offering decals for sale soon. Ooooooh, that D-VII and Albatros D-V they have coming out might be nigh on irresistable! :blink: Hmmmm, that Sopwith Pup would make a smashing triplane conversion also. Ooooh my. Can't wait to get this build started, sooon,....very soon.

Thanks Håkan! Hope they don't blow up when I put them in water! :huh: Ya know, I just visited the Wingnuts site for the first time last night Vaughn (WOW!), and they're going to be offering decals for sale soon. Ooooooh, that D-VII and Albatros D-V they have coming out might be nigh on irresistable! :) Hmmmm, that Sopwith Pup would make a smashing triplane conversion also. Ooooh my. Can't wait to get this build started, sooon,....very soon.

Yes, lets hope they come out with the Tripehound, I'd be all over that like a dog on a turkey dinner ! ...can you tell it's Thanks Giving ?..~burp~ :rolleyes:

The Roland looks awesome too !!..figures doesn't it ?..you go to all this work to do it yourself... and somebody comes out with it ! ...

You're doing good Lad, don't stop ! Cheers

Vaughn

Hmmmm, time to dust off this thread and get started on the last Fokker build of my series. Feels REAL good to be building this, and outta my closet! :clap2: Got most of the cockpit (what there is of it) mocked up and trial-fitted,....and started on that pesky motor. There is absolutely nothing to hold it in. :clap2: This kit comes with parts to make the early type exhaust, or the later 'saxophone trumpet' type coming out the top. I'm going with the latter. This means I have to make a cut-out across the top of the port side engine tin. Whoohoo! I like cutting stuff up! :) Here's all my parts all taped together for a trial-fit, and where I gotta hack;

post-4413-1255881989.jpg

Decided to make up a crank for the motor to use for a front engine support thru the radiator. Added a few PE pieces while I was scratching my chin trying to figure out what to do. Using the extra prop off the Hobbycraft triplane, with the hub cut down to allow the use of some purdy PE pieces. Looks much better than the kit supplied item.

post-4413-1255882214.jpg

This is what it's looking like for now. Still need to make up something for the rear engine support, but that shouldn't be too hard now that I've got something to prop it up with in front. I'm off to take a short nap, so I'll probably have more progress pics later on tonight. So it begins;..........

post-4413-1255882407.jpg

post-4413-1255882424.jpg

That looks cool Russ.I have done some 1/72 and 1/48 Bi's and not many but some of the kits they have coming out are real stunners.Then get a guy with your talents and even more becomes apparent of what can be done with them.Cheers Kevin