Revel P-51D Lou IV: Blue and Green

CANicoll

Seeing all the good work here on the Revell Mustangs and having got my research pretty much together it is time to start on Lou IV, in the Blue/Green scheme uncovered by Dana Bell.  I know some folks here don't see it, but I do so that's good enough for me.   :punk: Thanks to Dana for sharing his hi-res scan with me (this is a low-res version) so I can try and gauge colors (along with the research others have done on the possible sources of the blue paint).

qW5eGZ.jpg

I have both kit and aftermarket decals for the Lou IV but pretty much going OOB, (I figure the color scheme alone will be enough to distract people) and do have the Barracuda resin wheel and tire set.

eBrmfQ.jpg

As usual I did the dish soap bath - here are all the sprues (except the clear ones) laid out to dry.

3EfvUL.jpg

At least one pair of the flaps have the injection depression running the length as many people here have found.  The other pair does not seem to have the depression but we'll see once I get a better look at them.

As usual as well, I primer the parts on the sprues - this also helped to see any of the injection problems that have been reported.  White Vallejo primer for most services, Vallejo Gloss Black for where the majority of the paint will be silver.  It is a really nice gloss primer and the white went down exceptionally smoothly as well.  None of the details seem to be obscured.

T6iLTJ.jpg

The main gear doors definitely are showing the injection problems that have been noted:

yR9xAX.jpg

This will not be a quick build as I have two weeks of business travel this month, sandwiched around our Model Classic show on the 21st.  But hope to make some progress on the cockpit this month.

Stay tuned!

Chris

Edited by CANicoll

Thanks for the encouragement gents!  I am very much looking forward to this build - and working with Dana on some of the details from his research.  He is presenting at our model show in 3 weeks on 'WWII Aircraft Colors' and he says he has MORE new stuff (although maybe not just on Lou IV).

One thing I have noticed on all of the aircraft in the period picture above is no yellow prop tips.  DEFINITELY yellow on the noses, but I don't see any yellow blur on the tips of the props.  The drop tanks also appear to me to be more gray than silver so will have to look into that

Interesting and more build details perhaps.

Reuben:  I've asked Dana if I can share the 168Mb hi res version he scanned, so as soon as he responds I'll let you know.  It is a HUGE file for a single picture.  I have an A3 printer so will be doing some large format photos to see what details I can extract.

I have always liked the blue option on this particular plane. Can you share the high res picture that Dana shared with you. I'm gearing up to make this kit (if I can find the bench time ) in this same exact scheme. Thanks.

Dana came back and said 'Share away!' so here is the link to my DropBox and the TIFF file.  Its a biggie!  In the upper right hand corner is the 'download' button.

Have fun!

Chris

Edited by CANicoll

Hah!  I'm doing Lou IV in blue and green as well.  Looks like there will be a rash of those over the next couple of months.  What color are you planning on using for the blue?  I was thinking of USN non-spec sea blue, but don't know if that's too light of a shade. 

Hah!  I'm doing Lou IV in blue and green as well.  Looks like there will be a rash of those over the next couple of months.  What color are you planning on using for the blue?  I was thinking of USN non-spec sea blue, but don't know if that's too light of a shade. 

I haven't quite got that sorted yet, but I don't think it will be the Navy color.  This looks pretty dark, but definitely lighter than Insignia Blue.  I need to review some of my research that showed some sources in Britain of possible blues.  That may come to nothing, but we'll see.

Let me know what you decide to use for the blue  - you will definitely be ahead of me!

Chris

I haven't quite got that sorted yet, but I don't think it will be the Navy color.  This looks pretty dark, but definitely lighter than Insignia Blue.  I need to review some of my research that showed some sources in Britain of possible blues.  That may come to nothing, but we'll see.

Let me know what you decide to use for the blue  - you will definitely be ahead of me!

Chris

Lighter than insignia blue, but darker than USN sea blue is a pretty narrow range.  I might just try mixing those two colors, or mixing a touch of black in with the blue since I don't have an insignia blue.  

Blue and Green! Your my hero Chris!!

Nice thread and thanks for posting. My kit is in the ready-to-paint stage. I think I will paint the "insignia blue" also. More interesting even if it could be "wrong".

I note for you all that my kit exhibits all the same annoying molding issues as reported here. The Vallejo gloss primer does reveal all the warts.

Rick

Nice thread and thanks for posting. My kit is in the ready-to-paint stage. I think I will paint the "insignia blue" also. More interesting even if it could be "wrong".

I note for you all that my kit exhibits all the same annoying molding issues as reported here. The Vallejo gloss primer does reveal all the warts.

Rick

Yep, now the question is how best to fill in the depressions.  Mr Surfacer 500, Tamiya putty, Vallejo putty...