Another Matchbox Emil

Hans

Well another group build, another chance to get it finished. This is the kit I entered in the clear the bench group build, but lacking the inspiration I didn't do any work on it. The Aires set I had bought to replace the Matchbox pit didn't fit in so the only option was scratchbuilding, using the kit parts and parts of the old Eduard set for the Hasegawa 109E.

These are the parts of the kit at this moment. As told in the other thread I already have rescribed the panel lines, cut loose the control surfaces and built the engine.

post-1501-1282761710.jpg

Edited by Hans

Last week at long last I made a new start with the cockpit. So far I have replaced the inaccurate Eduard side walls with plastic card and have made the stiffeners and ribs for the cockpit walls using photos and drawings of the real thing and the Aires cockpit set as a guide. I also made new rails for the seat and added some details to the floor.

post-1501-1282762261.jpg

More to follow soon

Hans

Thanks for the kind comment Kev. I did some more work, made a new oxygen apparatus that will go onto the right cockpit wall. Basically it is a rubber bag with pipes and valves on top of it. On the model it is less than a centimeter in hight. The perforated cover is made of 0,3 mm plastic and will be bent around it.

post-1501-1283360709.jpg

I have also begun working on the wings. The wheel wells have been boxed in using plastic card and parts of the Cutting Edge resin replacements for the Hasegawa kit. I improved the look of the underwing cannon bulges by adding a strip of plastic around the edges and filling in and rescribing the panel lines The transition between the bulge and the plastic strips has been made more fluent using putty.

post-1501-1283361500.jpg

The part of the well where the gear leg goes was taken from the Cutting Edge wheel well. Each well was cut in two pieces and the "leggy part" was modified to fit onto the Matchbox wing The other part was discarded as it didn't fit into the wheel well) (too small) and also proved to be too shallow.

Done a bit more work on the interior using kit parts, Eduard photoetch and scratchbuild parts. The seat is from Cutting Edge, the stick comes from a Hasegawa 190 kit.

post-1501-1283868268.jpg

Thank you Keith. Good to see you joining the "Messerchmitt Mob" with another 109. German aircraft are a bit underrepresented in this group build.

Added the reinforcement strips to the wheel wells and another smear of putty to the sidewalls. After sanding and painting the wells RLM 02 the yet to make canvas boots for the sidewalls will be installed.

post-1501-1284206118.jpg

The profile of the tyres was reduced by means of a few coats of Tamiya primer as they looked more suitable for an ATB bike. The centre of the wheels were improved by removing the incorrect discs and replacing with punched out plastic discs. After installation these were drilled out and a tiny length of guitar string added to the centre of each one.

post-1501-1284206902.jpg