SilverWings 1/32 Gloster Gladiator Mk.II

That's a cracking model Sabre, especially as its only in 1/72!

Brian, I was talking to a mate regarding the stringing and its quite true that the attachment points are inside the wings.

In 1/32 it will be quite noticeable so your attachment point (drilled hole) on the wing surface should be slightly away from the struts/wing surface join to simulate the internal attachment at the bottom of the strut.

Does that make sense?? :mental: I think you get my drift.

Seems you got out of jail on those fixes! No need to wait for the land version. :speak_cool:

Just as an aside, Roborough is now Plymouth City Airport.

If you've got Google Earth, pop it in the search box and have a look. Cute little airport.

Phil :beer:

NICE! Should not be too hard to come up with that solution and make it look decent once the kit arrives. :D

I wonder if SW will include any of their own "rigging tips" as WnWs does? :hmmm: (and yes it does make sense :beer: )

That's a cracking model Sabre, especially as its only in 1/72!

I 2nd that 1!

B-ri

That's an excellent photo of the wire connections. I can see where it will make a big difference in how the wires are put in place. I also never noticed the notch in the interplane struts where the wires connect. Very noticable in 32nd.

BTW thanks for the compliments on the Heller model. Doing that one was one of the most fun projects I did for a client. At least I took a fair number of photos of that one before I shipped it off to Vancouver. Most others I only kept a couple of shots of. But that one I really enjoyed.

Sabre

Sabre is right that is a very nice shot, thanks Edgar!

Im sure it will be VERY useful when it comes time to rig her, and I will be basing the wing rigging on the rigging being in the base of the wing itself, par this pic and your advice.

I think it may make thinks even easier if not having to thread buckles on this one.

Im probably going to forgo the airfoil on the rigging itself, as I would really like to try the fine grade charcoal EZ line, since I think its strength and elastic properties will make rigging actually possible for me. :)

Cheers,

Brian

I just received an E-mail reply from Wojtek Kulakowski @ Silver Wings:

"Hello,

the work on completion of the model are still ongoing. Please follow the information on the website. The model should be on sale from the beginning of September."

Yay!

Sounds like I might even be able to PayPal him for the model on pre-order. This should be coooooool. It will set me back a bit, but I think from what I have heard from other LSPers on Silver Wings kits, it will be worth it!

Looks like I might be joining you BoB GB lads in the short term! :blink: :evil_laugh:

Brian

Sabre is right that is a very nice shot, thanks Edgar!

Im sure it will be VERY useful when it comes time to rig her, and I will be basing the wing rigging on the rigging being in the base of the wing itself, par this pic and your advice.

I think it may make thinks even easier if not having to thread buckles on this one.

Im probably going to forgo the airfoil on the rigging itself, as I would really like to try the fine grade charcoal EZ line, since I think its strength and elastic properties will make rigging actually possible for me. :piliot:

Cheers,

Brian

If you look at EZline under magnification, you will see it is actually not round in shape, but flat. This should actually represent the airfoil shape pretty well, though very subtle. As a matter of fact, you have to be careful and check it isn't twisted, as the twists will show that it actually is flat sided!

If you look at EZline under magnification, you will see it is actually not round in shape, but flat. This should actually represent the airfoil shape pretty well, though very subtle. As a matter of fact, you have to be careful and check it isn't twisted, as the twists will show that it actually is flat sided!

NICE!

Thanks Ray...

Never really looked at the stuff that close up............:piliot: Might have to take a gander at it when I get home. SW has not yet let me know what the official price is going to be but I have a feeling I remember it was going to be in the $150-200 range. :rofl: Love it, but its gonna be a wallet buster!

Brian

Hi Brian,

If you change your mind remember that Radu produces the streamlined wire

HTH

:BANGHEAD2:

I forgot about Radus wire!

Actually to tell you the truth (as I didn't even know it) as Ray pointed out, the EZ-Line not only has the elastic properties to make rigging possible it also has the flatter air-foil shape to it already :)

• 3 weeks later...

Ok the time is rapidly approaching where I hope Wojtek from SilverWings will be letting me know he can send me my gladdy. Thanks to Phil and his Duxford shots, I now have some EXCELLENT documentation to start with. Still not 100% sure my resin building/rigging skills & and my budget are up to it but I need a bit more advice before starting......

1-) What would the appropriate for a BoB Gladdy (im just going with the assumption of some sort of Sutton here....) harness be?

The Older venerable "A" Sutton

Sutton-A.jpg

OR

The "Q" Sutton harness

SuttonQK.jpg

2-) Although I do not have the kit in hand yet, after seeing how great Kostucha's RAF Hurrie pilot turned out, Hurricane Pilot

...........and even though i usually dont fancy myself a "pilot" guy (usually more of a front office guy, with no pilot so you can see detail) I was thinking about putting one in the front office of the Gladdy.

3 part question for the experts concerning the RAF pilot:

A - I know master details makes a cool looking in cockpit RAF pilot in trop gear.

32022%20title.jpg

Would the BoB pilots ever flown in the summer with Trop gear?

B - Would they have had oxygen masks in the Gladiator? Id love to use the Master details head with the goggles and O2 mask

C - Are there any other nicely detailed options for suitable Gladiator era sitting/in cockpit RAF pilots?

I see there is also a seated RAF pilot from PJ productions that looks decent, but have not heard anything about them

pjp_321108_parts.jpg

Cheers and thanks for the help in advance,

Brian

I would think they did have O2 on board so you are ok with the facemask.

With regard to the harness I think you would need Edgar to give a definitive answer but age wise I think the earlier harness would be right but then it

would be quite possible to retro fit the other harness in the field.

Don't think you can be wrong either way.

PJ productions seem to have good reviews and it would be cool to have him in his wooly jumper!

(old joke, what do you get if you cross a kangeroo with a sheep???) :clap2:

Alternatively I believe although I might be wrong that the Tamiya IX spit comes with a seated pilot figure?

Loads of those around being built without figures.

Someone in your neck of the woods might have a spare.

Phil

Awesome, thanks mate.

I will see if Edgar chimes in as he may be able to shed some definitive light on the harness situation, but I was thinking in your same line of thought..........earlier A harness would probably be suitable considering the age of the Gladdy, but for that very same reason, was thinking it may have been possible that some of the Qs may have made it into the Gladdy as replacements. Was just a non-educated guess on that 1 though.

I do also like the PJ figure, and it would be much easier for my meger pilot painting skills if he was in long pants and a thick jumper. :clap2:

Edgar?

What you say?

Awesome, thanks mate.

I will see if Edgar chimes in as he may be able to shed some definitive light on the harness situation, but I was thinking in your same line of thought..........earlier A harness would probably be suitable considering the age of the Gladdy, but for that very same reason, was thinking it may have been possible that some of the Qs may have made it into the Gladdy as replacements. Was just a non-educated guess on that 1 though.

I do also like the PJ figure, and it would be much easier for my meger pilot painting skills if he was in long pants and a thick jumper. :(

Edgar?

What you say?

Brian,

Are you sure the Gladdy doesn't have a good Sutton harness already in the kit? I would have thought a kit of this quality would.

Andy

Brian,

Are you sure the Gladdy doesn't have a good Sutton harness already in the kit? I would have thought a kit of this quality would.

Andy

Good point Andy. I guess if it DOES come with one and its up to par Ill know and even if its not on par, it will most likely still tell me about which type.

I was only thinking of a way to use Radu's beautiful Sutton paper harnesses here. They really are a joy to work with (as with all things of this type can be fiddly) and only need a bit of TLC and they lay just right in the cockpit and really stand out.

I will just wait to see what Wojtek sends me. :blush:

Brian