Hurricane Mk.I

Well it's been a little while since I last updated this....

That resin wheel well was apparently quite a bit thicker than some, because I had to remove about a quarter-inch from the top in order to get the cockpit framing to sit on top of it with the wing installed. Absent any power tools that meant multiple sessions of sitting here grinding away with a sanding block. That'll slow almost anyone down on a project! :party0023:

Now, my usual approach would be to glue the upper wing surfaces to the fuselage first. In this case, I had left the bottom seam at the nose open to align the lower wing section. There are any number of places for the lower wing to not line-up properly and I didn't want to add the upper wings to the puzzle, so I went the opposite route.

LowerJoin1.jpg

Test fitting the upper wings it looks like I should be able to get them installed without too much fuss and have minimal seams to deal with. Fingers crossed. I also intend to paint the landing lights now. Since this is a limited run kit I decided to add the clear bits to the wing prior to painting the model, just in case I have a less-than perfect fit there. If I have to sand or fiddle with the clear parts I can get a much better fit, then just mask them up.

After fitting the lower wing section I had a considerable gap to deal with at the cowling. I used liberal amounts of cement to melt Evergreen strips into the gap. It's much easier to deal with plastic than putty and it won't shrink later revealing a nasty mess under the paint.

NoseSeam2.jpg

NoseSeam1.jpg

Thanks for looking!

• 1 month later...

OK, it's been over a month, so I guess I'd better give a little update...

Not a whole lot has happened other than getting the upper wing surfaces installed and some seam work. Since I installed the lower portion of the wing first I had to take my time and work in sections to get the best joins possible around the wings. I'm very happy with how it's come out, considering that I spread the fuselage, added a shim in the nose, etc. The potential for things to not line-up was magnified but everything went pretty well.

WIngsOn1.jpg

WingsOn3.jpg

Now, no matter how I lined things up, there seems to be no avoiding the steps and gaps that occur around the junction between upper wing, lower wing and fuselage. Some filling and sanding are required...

WingsOn4.jpg

Main construction is pretty much completed now, so it's time for the rest of the body work and then getting on to some primer and paint. :party0023:

• 1 month later...

Nice job on the wings. I made the mistake of following the directions and did the wing sub-assembly first. The results are predictable.

But I am adding the putty BEFORE attaching the sub-assembly to the fuselage which should minimize the amount of $#%& I will have to clean off or detailing I'll have to lose or re-scribe.

Thanks to Tom Cleaver for pointing me to this group build.