Hurricane Mk.I

Here's another small update...

Some of you may know that I've recently departed from my primary interest and have been attempting to build some armor. Fun stuff but it requires a different approach to some things. Mainly I want to get better at weathering and scale effects.

The reason I bring that up is because I decided to play around with some Mig filters on this. I used some on the interior fuselage walls and am rather tickled with how it came out.

First, just some pre-shading and paint:

Interior1.jpg

Then some very light filters added. Can't see much of an effect yet:

Interior5.jpg

Afterwards. Please note that, while it looks kinda goofy and overdone in the macro lens, to the Mk.I Eyeball it has an entirely different effect. It's also going inside a closed fuselage only to be seen from an angle. It has a multi-tonal effect then that is pretty cool. A first for me.

Interior7.jpg

From more of a distance you can hopefully get a better idea.

Interior9.jpg

Should have a bit more to show in a couple of hours....

Looking good Dave. Not a bad kit over all eh?

Thanks, Ron. It is a pretty decent kit so far, no real issues. Yet.

I got the fuselage closed up the other night. There is a small gap at the base of the tail on top, but nothing a small amount of filler won't take care of.

Fuse1.jpg

Fuse2.jpg

When I test-fitted the bottom part of the fuselage I noticed that there was going to be a step. Maybe I glued the two halves together to well, not sure, but the fix I used was a piece of sprue to spread the halves just a tiny bit.

Spreader.jpg

This was as close as I could get it. It resulted in one or two places where the sides overlapped the bottom just a tiny bit but some careful sanding remedied that without losing any of the raised fastener detail.

FuseBottom1.jpg

I then added the fairing for the tail wheel:

fuseBottom2.jpg

Due to there being more than one rudder and tail wheel assembly molded with this kit, PCM chose to have a separate lower portion of the rudder rather than have two different, complete rudders. This would not have been my choice if I were engineering the kit since it leaves a join that needs to be dealt with. That join bisects a fabric-covered surface and so will involve some care not to have it visible when painted. Shouldn't be too bad though.

Tail1.jpg

Tail2.jpg

Next up will be the main landing gear bay and the wing!

Thanks for looking....

Yup Sinkholes, but nothing that Superglue won't cure.. !

this trhead looks a lot like my workroom over the last few weeks, I'm working through my Metal Wing Hurricane at the moment - in fact I just finished spraying the green yesterday evening -

which markings are you using? , in deference to my country of origin , mine will be finished at Archie MCkellar's 605 Sq aircraft , hey he's got a lion rampant on the fusalage - I can't pass that up!

I look fordward to seeing your Hurricane completed

which markings are you using? , in deference to my country of origin , mine will be finished at Archie MCkellar's 605 Sq aircraft , hey he's got a lion rampant on the fusalage - I can't pass that up!

I look fordward to seeing your Hurricane completed

Thanks, Mate. I'm still not sure which markings I'll be using. Guess I need to decide soon since it's about time to start on the prop....

The main landing gear bay is a nicely cast bit of resin with nice detail throughout:

LGB1.jpg

As is usually the case with resin, a substantial amount of material needs to be removed to get it to fit inside the wing:

LGB2.jpg

Note that I almost went through the bay roof in a few spots. Don't remove that much material...

After a base coat of aluminum, the details were picked out. Then a coat of Future and a wash with Mig Pigments dark wash. Lovely stuff, that. I'm aware that the tank shouldn't be yellow, I just wanted a splash of color in there to liven things up a bit. It also doesn't look the very best under the harsh eye of the macro lens.

LGB4.jpg

After it's been installed in the wing and viewed from a more realistic distance. I'm happy enough with how it looks here, it just needs a flat coat which will come at the end along with the rest of the model.

LGB7.jpg

LGB6.jpg

Thats it for now.... As always, thanks for looking!

Dave

i like the look of the wheel well

hadn't realised the way they engineered the tail - that is a bit crap isn't it?

still, these things are sent here to test us aren't they?!

thanks for sharing

Nick

This was as close as I could get it. It resulted in one or two places where the sides overlapped the bottom just a tiny bit but some careful sanding remedied that without losing any of the raised fastener detail.

FuseBottom1.jpg

Not trying to hijack, but in case you (or anyone else building this kit) are interested, I could not find any photos of the real thing with those fasteners on the bottom. You do need to add the (drain/attachment I beleive) holes inside the panel lines. 3 on each side of the panel, one on each end, and one in the middle. Unfortunately, it appears that the strake itself is a bit too short, as it goes to the middle panel line in the photos I examined. The only other bit for this area is that the strake has a panel line that separates it into two parts, one part being from the wheel attachment back and the other the forward bit. If you put the line in the strake where it is supposed to be, it should align perfectly with the back panel line of the ribbed underside panels, which is does not (it's off by a mm or two). I just extended the panel line on the fuselage back so that it aligned properly on the fabric wing build I have going.

Here is a pic I scanned that shows what I am on about:

hurribottom0001-1.jpg

Looking good thus far, looking forward to the next installment!

Cheers,

Doug