1/24 Hurricane I, 32 Sqdn Biggin Hill/Hawkinge

Phil, that is some fantastic remedial work mate. It's not always about adding all the bells and whistles; sometimes just come careful assembly combined with some clever adjustments can be just as impressive.

Kev

Phil, that is some fantastic remedial work mate. It's not always about adding all the bells and whistles; sometimes just come careful assembly combined with some clever adjustments can be just as impressive.

Kev

Thanks Kev,

yes a lot of it for me is getting the basic bits and pieces to fit properly then worry about making it "pretty" later.

Phil

Well Brian,

You need a 247 Squadron scheme based at Robourgh ( pronounced rowborah), in Plymouth during the BoB

Lookie here: http://www.rafweb.org/SqnMark247-248.htm#247

Phil

You got it mate! Exactly what I was thinkin..........

I put out a BoB Gladiator thread to ask what the diffs were between the sea Gladiator and the BoB version. -

BoB Gladiator thread

But apparently we dont have any experts on Gladiators at LSP atm..........or no one is one enough to post. :(

I like both of these 247 sq birds

profile_gladiator_02.gif

Gloster Gladiator Mk. II

247 Squadron RAF

Roborough, Devonshire, 1940

247sqnglad.gif

Also RAF 247 sq markings from 1940

Apparently not that much diff according to SilverWings themselves, and certainly not enough to prevent me from moving forward if SW puts it out -

- Sea Gladiator had better engine (more power) - Difference would be NIL to me as I would not mess with the appearance of the provided resin engine.

- different propellers - Scratch built prop?

- Sea Gladiator had additional hook under the fuselage and a dinghy pack - Simple as removing or leaving these 2 things off?

- different control panels - ????? Not worth changing if just a minimal difference in pit controls

Keep up the pics mate, very interested in seeing how fast this one comes together! Im gonna be a bit late joining in this GB as long as SW is on track, so I gotta watch what ur doin....

Brian

Any ideas regarding the black and white square below the canopy on the fuselage.

It's the "Blue Peter" flag (blue and white). A maritime signal flag meaning 'In harbour: All persons should report on board as the vessel is about to proceed to sea.'

Requested by Brothers to be placed on the port side only.

Hi Phil

Well it looks like the Hurri will be the main aircraft numbers wise in this group build,

like in the BoB :speak_cool:

Looking good in your build, I'm interested to see how the Trumpy Hurri differs

build wise to the Airfix one.

Regards

Alan

It's the "Blue Peter" flag (blue and white). A maritime signal flag meaning 'In harbour: All persons should report on board as the vessel is about to proceed to sea.'

Requested by Brothers to be placed on the port side only.

Thanks Mike!

Thats exactly the type of help I need.

Looks like its actually navy blue and white not black and white as I said. Shouldn't be a problem to mask and paint.

Thanks again.

Looks like you're off to a fine start!

PS Tell your daughter I said :)

Thanks Dave and thanks from Samantha as well!

She also likes the tumble weed one but I'll have to deliberately stall out somewhere along the line so I can use it! :tumble:

Hi Phil

Well it looks like the Hurri will be the main aircraft numbers wise in this group build,

like in the BoB :rolleyes:

Looking good in your build, I'm interested to see how the Trumpy Hurri differs

build wise to the Airfix one.

Hi Alan,

I think we have got in first, won't be long before all those Spit boys start showing up! :mental:

Interesting comparing the two kits.

One of the probs I have is that the photo's of 32 Sdn Hurris looks like they have the thinner De Havilland prop not the rotol in the kit.

I had a look at the PDf instructions for the Airfix Hurri and it looks like you have the rotol as well.

Dunno where I can get a 1/24 De Havilland prop. Tried to see if the Mk1 Airfix spit had one but couldn't see any pdf instructions on the site.

Might have to go to my lhs and have a sneak in the box!

Good luck with yours mate!

Phil

i thought Grey Matter Figures might but sadly they do not seem to

will keep hunting and let you know if i come up with anything

Nick

God blezz ee zur!

Don't fancy having to sand the rotol's down eeeurgh!

I'm hoping the Airfix 1.24 spit may have the de Havilland prop.

EDIT: Just looked at the kit lists and the box art of one of the older Spit 1a's looks like a de Havilland prop. Hope they haven't changed it!!!

:mental:

One of the probs I have is that the photo's of 32 Sdn Hurris looks like they have the thinner De Havilland prop not the rotol in the kit.

I've seen pics of 32 squadron Hurris with rotols. I figure they probably had both types.

The profile of Brother's a/c has a rotol.

I've seen pics of 32 squadron Hurris with rotols. I figure they probably had both types.

The profile of Brother's a/c has a rotol.

Thanks Mike,

I've been seeing Rotol and de Havilland props in my sleep! :innocent:

If you say its a rotol on the profile then its easier for me. All I have to do is round off the tips of the kit props then

they should be ok. This was discussed in another build of the Trumpy Hurri.

To make sure I'm not seeing things, can you have a look at this photo of a 32 sqdn Hurri, its unidentified but

its at the time of my version. Is this a De Havilland prop?

If so it would confirm your thoughts that both types of prop were in use at the same time:

The picture is reproduced from "Aircraft of the Aces - legends of WWII" so the fair use rules apply:

post-13803-1282889376.jpg

Phil

Mike

What a great second photo - never seen that before

What an inspirational and emotive picture

Makes me want to turn off the cricket and put on The Battle Of Britain dvd!!!

thanks for sharing

Nick