HK Early B-17G?

Uncarina

There were numerous field modified B-17F nose gun installations. I researched this when I was helping HK figure out what to do with their F.

Start posting photos... we know of the two that the HK kit provides and the "one-off" installations such as Miss Quachita.  There's the two gun nose setup like I posted earlier.... So far that's four.  If you count the factory 30 caliber installation that's five.  Oh, there's the very late B-17F nose gun installation...that's called a chin turret.  If you wanna count that one, then there is indeed six.  Minefield?  Hardly...

• 3 weeks later...

The top turret interiors for the HK G and F kits are significantly different, and in David Parkers build of an early G he scratchbuilds one to resemble the one provided in the F kit. Is the one provided in the G kit inaccurate for any B-17, and if not, which aircraft would have this?

Thanks, Tom

Edited by Uncarina

Guest Maxim

I'd love to build an early G but I'm not about to blow the money on two B-17's to accomplish it. I would prefer to wait and see if HK produce one.

• 1 year later...
On 5/25/2018 at 8:07 AM, Uncarina said:

The top turret interiors for the HK G and F kits are significantly different, and in David Parkers build of an early G he scratchbuilds one to resemble the one provided in the F kit. Is the one provided in the G kit inaccurate for any B-17, and if not, which aircraft would have this?

Thanks, Tom

My understanding is that the top turret present in the HK B-17G kit is based on what would have been fitted in a P2V Neptune. I realized this weekend where I had seen this fitted in a B-17; it's installed in B-17G "Sentimental Journey." While it does fit, as mentioned by Tom, this particular setup was never installed on B-17's. the setup available in the B-17E/F kit is accurate for all variants of the B-17 from WWII.

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA