What The Heck was I Thinking ?

Spads57

Hello All,

I thought I'd share another of my ongoing projects with you . In this project I'll be converting Revell's old Fokker Tripe in to a Fokker E.V/D.VIII. This is my first large scale WW I project in many years.I hope you enjoy this project as much as I am.As alway any and all comments are much appreciated.

The Donor kit before surgery.

IMG_0839.jpg

The first cuts to the fuselage were made to get the kits profile down to that of the E.V

IMG_0842.jpg

With the cutting done ,the rear section of the fuselage required to be built up to the correct profile. The other items seen in the photo are the preliminary work for the interior.

IMG_0844.jpg

Now the real surgery begins. the pieces shown here are cut from all three wing from the Dr.I kit. Once the cutting is completed it's thing to put Frankenwing together ,sort of like a jig saw puzzle if you will.

IMG_0852.jpg

The beginning of the upper wing surface assembly.

IMG_0849.jpg

IMG_0848.jpg

Notice the seemingly excess wing reinforcements.But not enough to keep me from cracking the wing several times.

The semi complete wing and the completed wing.

IMG_0853.jpg

IMG_0855.jpg

Flash forward a month and a bit. The wing is now fully assembled, puttied and primed. I used a new type of epoxy putty for me at least for the wing and had all sorts of trouble. I believe that I some how mixed the Milliput wrong causing seemingly endless cracking right at the joint line of the leading edge and the plastic pieces.Finally after several attempts at repair the old stand by 3M's Blue Glazing Putty came to the rescue. More work has been done on the interior parts as well.I'll post more photos as soon as I have enough done to post.Thanks for looking. By the way since I forgot to mention it at the beginning this will Theo Osterkamp's E.V .

Regards,

Gregory Jouette

Uuuuuuuhhhhh,......whaaaaah......aaaaahhhhh; I can't make 'whoohoos' big enough for this. ;) What?, what?,...wait, what?.....OMG. There is no emoticon that portrays what I'm feeling right now. Wait a sec; :punk:

Bwhahahahaha! I think I'm going to go have a good cry. I'm so happy. Hey dude, if you need any plans scaled up....4-color lozenge decals made, or anything else I can help you with. Please,...feel free to ask. What a flippin awesome project, I fall to the floor...kow-tow...and fawn at your knees in sheer astonishment and amazement. OMG. :goodjob:

Thanks for your kind words and comments fellas.

I've got a little progress for you tonight .I hope you enjoy them,as always any and all comments are greatly appreciated.

Here's the nearly complete Frankenwing, still afew repairs yet to be made and touch ups. I managed to spend most of the afternoon scratching and re scratching the flaps.I had the flaps finished at one point and thought piece of cake,WRONG. That's when I discovered I had two different sized flaps and the main wing itself I had cut incorrectly to boot. Well back to the drawing again for some remeasuring.Jeez the first time through this I mustn't had on my glasses.This of coarse caused :BANGHEAD2: which lead into :blowup: . Love these new emoticons. Anyway back to the story ,I recut the wing for the flaps and redid the flap again.

IMG_0130.jpg

Here's the earlier photo of the wing.Sheeeeez Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder could have seen my boo boo.

IMG_0855.jpg

Still messin' with the Frankenwing. I decided to give the underside a little cupping or sag between the frames. I guess you can't expect perfection when tacking down 1.2 a 1mm plywood to the frame works.Next time you take a look at a photo of a war time E.v you'll see exactly what I mean by cupping .

IMG_0142.jpg

IMG_0145.jpg

IMG_0143.jpg

As you'll notice some of the cupping needs a little evening out,but that's for another day.

I also started some of the interior work on the airframe itself and a few odds and ends.

IMG_0132.jpg

IMG_0133.jpg

IMG_0136.jpg

Added Lozenge Fabric to the interior of the fuselage halves too.

IMG_0137.jpg

IMG_0140.jpg

[

That all for this update,I'll post the next as soon as I got enough to show.Thanks for looking.

Regards,

Gregory Jouette

Whoooeee! :BANGHEAD2: Great update Gregory! I'm going gah-gah over that wood-grain and lozenge,.....veeeery nice. Can't believe you're going for the 'wavy-plywood-look', you're a MADMAN!!! :blowup: Should give a stunning effect though, nice touch. Incredible scratching going on here buddy, can't wait for the next update! Later, Russ

• 2 weeks later...