D and a J Liberator

Guest Smitty44

To get a tad back on topic ;-), I know there was some concern about the profile of the engine nacelles in the CAD images posted. I did notice in the smaller CAD inset that shows the interior bits, that the engine profile looks much, much better in that CAD than the one depicting the entire airframe exterior. Take a look in the picture posted earlier and see for yourself. It, at least for the time being, put to bed that little concern of mine to bed.

With the way HobbyBoss seems top push out their CAD images on their Facebook page, the fact that they already have CAD of the interior makes me think that this kit may be right around the corner, i.e. maybe only a few months out. When it comes to them releasing their armor and ship kits, they seem to post CAD images, then boxtop art, and then the kit gets released, all in the span of a few months. This by no means makes it a certainty that the kit is imminent, but if things go the way they usually do with HobbyBoss/Trumpeter/Merit, I wouldn't be surprised to see this kit sooner, rather than later. Get those sprue cutters and glues ready my friends. Here's to hoping.

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA

To keep the thread on track :rofl: now that we have talked flying pencils, how about flying suitcases ? Probably the only one that could overcome my dread of camoed aircrafts (with an Amiot 143, that is ;) ) !

Hubert

PS: good for my fellow LSPers, but the B-24 does not do anything for me, nor the -17, the -29, the -26 or -25, for that matter :)

Well the B-24 was referred to as the packing crate that the B-17 was shipped in.  :whistle:

Im seriously wondering how close is "close enough" for the B-24.

Regardless of what anyone thinks, Jennings is correct in his assertions about how many variants there really were. Nailing any single one down could be problematic with the number of them, and the amount of experts out there relating to the variant that HB issues, and the scheme they include .  Im hoping this doesn't lead to the kit being crucified. 

There are in fact a number of VERY good "A-Team" HB/Trumpeter kits out there, but as we all know there are also some duds out there. I think the B-24 was so instrumental in the war, and there were so many of them produced, that I really hope that HB takes whatever time they need to get things right. 

Personally, I'd be much less concerned about the individual variant differences, than I would be about things like nacelle shape, wing profile and the like. Even if some minute detail was off, for the particular version HB releases, Id still be much more apt to invest in the kit, VS if some basic air-frame shape was off. 

Well, I am saving a lot of money these days.

I have much patience since I already have 1/32 vacuforms of the B-24, B-17, Lancaster, Halifax, Sterling, Wellington, Sm-79, B-29 not to mention the paper card kits of many other large bombers. Also have a built 1/32 solid wood C-47 on floats.  

So I'm in no big hurry to get more biggies. When they come out then maybe I'll get them, maybe not.

But since I have much sculpture to work on and many Vulgarian aircraft to invent, for the time being I'll just prepare my house and workshops for a while. We just moved back in the repaired home three months ago and I have to set up the workshop. Then sort out all the stash and get going on the building. Lots of things to do.

When the Do-17, the A-20, B-26 Marauder, Devastator,  Val, Kate come on the market I'll happily buy them. I still get all the WNW goodies that come out. I already paid in advance for that delicious WW1 Junkers monoplane which may, hopefully arrive some time in the next few months.  I have not even considered building the Hawgwaller and Western railroad in G gauge in my time frame. It will be an outdoor layout so I'll start that in the late spring. Part will be the State Railroad of Vulgaria with all those 1/35 armored trains and railroad guns. Come to think of it, I can work a 40 hour week on these projects and keep myself busy for the next 10 years. 

Fun fun fun  :punk:  

Edited by ssculptor

Guys, I know we all like shooting off our mouths, me included, but CAD is just BS most of the time. Let's wait for the actual kit because:

1. Never seen it where complaining about CAD images got anything changed in production
  2. Ain't never seen it where the model companies are listening and changing their CAD to conform to our wishes
  3. Half of us can't agree on what is RIGHT about a kit, and the other half can't agree on what's WRONG (e.g., Trumpy P-47 or "unbuildable" Revell Spitfire)

The kit will be out and when it is, it will be what it is. If we don't like it, we won't buy it. But some here will, build great-looking B-24s and we'll admire their abilities and then say "wow, that's a mighty fine-looking B-24."

Tell me I'm wrong.... :fight: :doh: :innocent: :mental:

Edited by Bill Cross

Why did someone say. Hope thumps a team is on this. Thought hoddyboss was doing it ?? Did I miss something

Although marketed and boxed as a different "brands" HB and Trumpeter are for all intents and purposes the same company.                        

s-l300.jpg

B-24J to H....  I'd be in for a 24J with an Emerson turret (not really knowing at all what it would take to convert a B-24J to an H other than the nose turret).  I luvz me these Zodiac bombers.

138056-10105.jpg

This would be my choice of markings for the B-24D (aka PB4Y-1)

Edited by Juggernut

Guys, I know we all like shooting off our mouths, me included, but CAD is just BS most of the time. Let's wait for the actual kit because:

1. Never seen it where complaining about CAD images got anything changed in production
  2. Ain't never seen it where the model companies are listening and changing their CAD to conform to our wishes
  3. Half of us can't agree on what is RIGHT about a kit, and the other half can't agree on what's WRONG (e.g., Trumpy P-47 or "unbuildable" Revell Spitfire)

The kit will be out and when it is, it will be what it is. If we don't like it, we won't buy it. But some here will, build great-looking B-24s and we'll admire their abilities and then say "wow, that's a mighty fine-looking B-24."

Tell me I'm wrong.... :fight: :doh: :innocent: :mental:

Do you follow any other forums or Facebook? There have been several kits that have been changed prior to production due to feedback received from CAD images. The most recent being the Model Collect 1/72 B-2. They were posting images of CAD drawings on their Facebook page and making changes as issues were found. Kinetic has done it as well as Kittyhawk and many others. The model companies are listening too as many reps from a few of the biggest frequent this and other forums. 

I'll say this though. My interest in B-17s will rapidly fade with the arrival of the B-24. And even if it's off shape wise, I'll do what I'll have to do to get me a 24.

Glass nose, turret nose, single tail or double, I don't care. Just give me a big Consolidated Liberator.

I'm witchya on that!!!

Do you follow any other forums or Facebook? There have been several kits that have been changed prior to production due to feedback received from CAD images. The most recent being the Model Collect 1/72 B-2. They were posting images of CAD drawings on their Facebook page and making changes as issues were found. Kinetic has done it as well as Kittyhawk and many others. The model companies are listening too as many reps from a few of the biggest frequent this and other forums. 

I do not so I'm glad to be proven wrong.

But you're also talking about smaller, boutique model companies and not the "bigs." I know of researchers and experts who have offered to help Trumpeter, for example, with accuracy but were turned down or their advice was ignored.

Then there's Dragon who hired one of the world's foremost Tiger tank experts, David Byrden (who incidentally is NOT a modeler) to help them retool their 1/35th kits, so you never know.

Edited by Bill Cross